Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Guard

Supreme Guard

I have a serious question;

What do each of you guys find is the best method of blocking/deflecting/guarding WITHOUT counter attack?

We tend to spend such a lot of time on combos of super powerful attacks, on the ground and pound, on all these strikes.... When would you EVER actually do this to someone? I mean in the normal scope of life we need self defense, but when will you ever have to BATTER another human being?

In my experience of violence there are a great many people who are simply NOT capable of it. They can spend a lot of time training striking but they will never be able to actually bring themselves to use it on someone. That means they will never be great fighters. But it doesn't mean that they can't learn to defend themselves well.

There are different types of people. And for those who lack the ability to be violent many techniques are not so useful. What use is Sanda if you can't bring yourself to hit someone? Its not a weakness, its a testament to our society that some people have crushed their violent natures. But they still need martial arts.

You can't deny these people exist, what do you teach them? What kind of guard?

SO, blocking without counter attack (at most Qinna, throws and pushes and slaps). What do you have? Someone is trying to batter you, you just want to block? I want blocks that genuinely work against someone who is really trying to hit you in fast combination.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 07-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    What do each of you guys find is the best method of blocking/deflecting/guarding WITHOUT counter attack?
    Hold both hands and make it into a big fist and hide your head behind it.

Why on earth would you go turtle?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

If there was a perfect guard everyone would use it.

For me, a basic four point cover has always worked the best for me. Elbows can punish someone punching low or kicking a little high. If they hook, you can simply grab the back of your head as in muay thai.

The fact of the matter is you WILL get hit in a fight. The greatest fighters in the world all get hit repeatedly in their fights and they train specifically not to.

Add head movement and footwork and you've got a pretty workable defense. Add some clinch work if you want for a little control and work on close-range distance creators like the teep if you're talking about simply escaping.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

As somebody who has always had more of a grappling focus I like to tangle up the arms and go for the clinch.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Fence post position.... elbows down and pinched inwards comfortably, both hands up around the nose area. This guards direct strikes but allows opportunity to counter strike or come in to close, clinch, etc. if a rounded attack comes..... of course this is very general. Elbows have to be alive for blocking/deflecting/wedging.

The person you describe though is a victim waiting to happen. Not that they can't be trained to think differently, but a person in that state of mind is a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Why on earth would you go turtle?

I hate turtle. I hate when BJJ guys hang there with no respect for how vulnerable to strikes they are.... with that said, there is no escaping some tough positions, particularly a really tight side control, without transitioning to turtle briefly. Don't hang there, but sometimes you have to transition there.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 07-06-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post

The person you describe though is a victim waiting to happen. Not that they can't be trained to think differently, but a person in that state of mind is a victim.
    Agreed - It's one thing to dislike violence or to not want to inflict unnecessary harm. You should still be able to hit back if somebody brings violence to you.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

A great short book, Equal or Greater Force by special op Kit Cessna addresses this mindset. Goes into legal implications as well.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    unless you are being beaten on by your wife or a child, standing there and simply covering is useless. Blocking means you are a step behind your opponent's attacks and are on the way to losing.
    In an adult fighting scenario, GnP assures that your attacker will not renew his attack against you.
    As brutal as it may sound, it may be the only alternative.

"If you show mercy to your enemy, you are being cruel to yourself."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Akido....

But I'd train the mindset if it was my student.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

Moving down here to Puerto Rico really woke me up as to violence. Its at such a state here, I can not get into physical conflict with anyone.... I beat up one guy, his crazy cousin will come shoot me.

Its to the point where if something should happen you either have to a) take them out to the point they can't get up (to get a gun or knife) and hope that's the end of it and keep a constant eye out or b) Kill them and deal with the law and then still have to keep a constant eye out.

I work, surf, train, snorkel, hike... try to keep away from the loud, drinking, unbalanced people. Try to keep away from crowds in general.

Ernie Moore Jr. Squirrel defense posture. See ORA forum and the squirrel kung fu thread. His "style" more or less spawned off an idea of taking attack without attacking back.

Mr. Myagi(Form Karate Kid)said:
    "No Be Dere"
    If you do not wish to fight then don't be there.

ginosifu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    If you don't want to get hit by your opponent, start to hit him.