Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Guard

Definitely not going to hot spots for fighting will keep you out of fights.

Other ways to stay out of fights is to not be a drunken ass hole, not be an over emotional poser, not be an ignorant dick to someone else's mate etc etc.

Besides that, there are plenty of ways to restrain someone from striking you and to also allay any chance of them seriously injuring themselves.

If you are in your 20's, like to club, are looking for love or sex quite often, then chances are, you might wind up in a fight. C'est La Vie.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

stepping methods and body facing/position.

you may use your hands to guard, not necessarily block or slap

but your steps and distancing are more important

you may step back or step to side

you may also do low kick or raise knee to guard or distancing.

thinking only about the hand movements may not be enough.

---

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

If you are in your 20's, like to club, are looking for love or sex quite often, then chances are, you might wind up in a fight. C'est La Vie.
    i used to go clubbing a lot.

just enjoyed the music and watching many girls all dressed nicely.

ususally clubs start at 11:00 Pm

I am an early riser.

so I never stayed passed 12:00 am.

---

If you find yourself in a fight, there is really no way that you are going to simply defend yourself without doing something offensively. No matter how good you are or how bad he is, he is still going to end up hitting you. And if he does connect it can quickly turn into something nasty. If you don't want to inflict harm on someone, learn how to do a take down and possibly a submission type hold that can restrict his ability to further attack you. I used to have a little move that was quick and effective. On many occasions I was able to use it without anyone getting hurt and it took all the fight out of the guy.
    In most cases the guy would simply try to sucker punch me with his right fist and I would pary it off to my right, grab his arm and pull. He would immediately pull back and I would shove him without letting go of his arm and he would go off balance. Then I simply jerked him to the side, spinning him around with his back almost to me, then I stepped into the back of his knee and rode him all the way down to the floor with weight on the back of the knee. It appeared painful. Then I would jerk the arm up over his head and bend it down toward his back with the elbow straight up, then rolled the wrist back so the palm tries to touch the wrist. Then I would sort of lift up. This will completely shut down the biggest and strongest fellow in the place. If you practice this it is easy and fast, and it can not be countered fast enough unless it is the guy you trained it with. You remain on your feet and have him sort of where you can keep him between you and his buddies. If it comes down to it, you can strike his nose or throat, or even step off and kick into his spine. Any of these will end his fight.
    Find you someone that teaches real Jiujitsu. Not the BJJ stuff, but the real Jap stuff. Add that to any other fighting system you have and you are bullet proof.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    If you find yourself in a fight, there is really no way that you are going to simply defend yourself without doing something offensively.
    You could run? You could show your chunk to the guy who's trying to get in a mix up?

And yes you can simply defend yourself and then run.

No matter how good you are or how bad he is, he is still going to end up hitting you.
    Can't hit what's not there. Don't engage.

And if he does connect it can quickly turn into something nasty. If you don't want to inflict harm on someone, learn how to do a take down and possibly a submission type hold that can restrict his ability to further attack you.
    Guess work. Who says he won't own you when you try to grapple him?

I used to have a little move that was quick and effective. On many occasions I was able to use it without anyone getting hurt and it took all the fight out of the guy.
    In most cases the guy would simply try to sucker punch me with his right fist and I would pary it off to my right, grab his arm and pull. He would immediately pull back and I would shove him without letting go of his arm and he would go off balance. Then I simply jerked him to the side, spinning him around with his back almost to me, then I stepped into the back of his knee and rode him all the way down to the floor with weight on the back of the knee. It appeared painful. Then I would jerk the arm up over his head and bend it down toward his back with the elbow straight up, then rolled the wrist back so the palm tries to touch the wrist. Then I would sort of lift up. This will completely shut down the biggest and strongest fellow in the place.
    You've never actually been in a real fight have you?

If you practice this it is easy and fast, and it can not be countered fast enough unless it is the guy you trained it with.
    Train right no can defend? really? lol

You remain on your feet and have him sort of where you can keep him between you and his buddies. If it comes down to it, you can strike his nose or throat, or even step off and kick into his spine. Any of these will end his fight.
    Find you someone that teaches real Jiujitsu. Not the BJJ stuff, but the real Jap stuff. Add that to any other fighting system you have and you are bullet proof.
    Life ain't a video game, fights, especially street fights have too many variables to even try and suppose one of them.

Better to learn simpler things, better to stay away from crap places, better to avoid confrontation to begin with. Especially in the case where you actually try to fight like you're advocating here.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

move away is better than any hand guard

if you could

that is.

If you keep them unbalanced , they will have a hard time being offensive.

You can Reggae around their moves , depending on their size and aggressive behavior how relaxed you should be, internal or external. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZduPvsPJRMo
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 04-28-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

if you could

that is.

Move out of State is best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

if you could

that is.

I have seen US missiles flew into Irag. I haven't seen any US missiles flew away from Iraq. Moving away can't make your opponent to drop dead.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    I have a serious question;

What do each of you guys find is the best method of blocking/deflecting/guarding WITHOUT counter attack?

We tend to spend such a lot of time on combos of super powerful attacks, on the ground and pound, on all these strikes.... When would you EVER actually do this to someone? I mean in the normal scope of life we need self defense, but when will you ever have to BATTER another human being?

In my experience of violence there are a great many people who are simply NOT capable of it. They can spend a lot of time training striking but they will never be able to actually bring themselves to use it on someone. That means they will never be great fighters. But it doesn't mean that they can't learn to defend themselves well.

There are different types of people. And for those who lack the ability to be violent many techniques are not so useful. What use is Sanda if you can't bring yourself to hit someone? Its not a weakness, its a testament to our society that some people have crushed their violent natures. But they still need martial arts.

You can't deny these people exist, what do you teach them? What kind of guard?

SO, blocking without counter attack (at most Qinna, throws and pushes and slaps). What do you have? Someone is trying to batter you, you just want to block? I want blocks that genuinely work against someone who is really trying to hit you in fast combination.
    I don't teach them anything. If they refuse to defend themselves they don't belong in martial arts. I would teach a class on situational awareness, avoidance and how to shout really loud to bring help.

I don't teach any defense to people who cannot use it. It is a waste of time all round.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Hold both hands and make it into a big fist and hide your head behind it.
    THIS!!

If you don't want to get wet when it's raining, it's more efficient to use an umbrella than to chase every raindrop with windshield wipers.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    THIS!!

If you don't want to get wet when it's raining, it's more efficient to use an umbrella than to chase every raindrop with windshield wipers.
    yeah except what do you do to a guy who is impeding his own vision with his guard position like that?

Oh yeah, you punch him in the face as hard as you can. If it hits his guard, he punches himself, then you drive him in the face again.

Ren - look at Rodney King's Crazy Monkey defense material. It's some of the better advice on how to keep your guard up and minimize incoming whilst positioning yourself. http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com/

It's good stuff.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ren - look at Rodney King's Crazy Monkey defense material. It's some of the better advice on how to keep your guard up and minimize incoming whilst positioning yourself. http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com/

It's good stuff.
    I'll have a look, but this is an old post resurrected.

At the time I was just wondering if anyone had any interesting or unconventional guard ideas. More for the situation of 100% defence, a guard that does not rely on counter attack. In this situation I find a Shield is generally more effective than a parry or a deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    In this situation I find a Shield is generally more effective than a parry or a deflection.
    Shielding is always the most efficient, which was my point earlier. Parrying/defelcting has it's place, but I usually prefer to use them to open the gate to enter the clinch. For pure punch defense, I almost always defer to a shielding technique.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.