Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Chen style Taijiquan

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    There's a digital copy floating around on the interwebs. It's quite extensive, and quite nice.
    http://www.docin.com/p-333675936.html

click 全屏 at the top right corner for full screen

Nowadays the beauty of the form performance is mostly judged by the external display and exaggerations for commercial reasons. Here is one guy that I like for his small frame who hasn't really been commercialized:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE2OTI4ODA=.html

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    This thread is for discussion of Chen Taijiquan in general.

To start with, what do folks think of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPDrHZdDu7A
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    Here are the things I really, really liked about the original video:
    Stances - his low stances were incredible. You could tell from the video that he could stay in those stances all day if need be. I don't know what effect it would have on qi circulation, but for a training exercise it looked excellent.
    Fa jin - Very nice, powerful strikes. Really exemplified the "soft like a whip" mentality.
    Transitional movements - Notice his footwork. When twisting the body his feet opened up and looked to me like he maintained nice balance through the transition.
    Weight distribution - I liked that he never became too front or back-loaded and balance looked excellent.
    Compactness - Notice his arms/hands rarely went outside the cylinder of his feet. This is what I have always been taught to do with Chen taiji. Keeps his rooting well within this cylinder.

Some things I noticed that weren't so great:
    Posing - I have always been taught to think of taiji like a movie vs. a combination of still photographs. Seemed to me there were many "frozen" moments between postures.
    Superfluous movement - Notice his shoulder/back movements at 4:00, 4:03, and 4:20. Seems like this is above and beyond "lead with the waist" and is unnecessary movement.
    Waist/arm connection - Sometimes he did this well and sometimes not so much. Leading with the waist and arms follow.
    Hands follow eyes follow hands - I've always been taught to focus on the hands as much as possible during taiji. Many moments in the vid where this wasn't the case.

Eager to hear what other specifics people liked/didn't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    Nowadays the beauty of the form performance is mostly judged by the external display and exaggerations for commercial reasons. Here is one guy that I like for his small frame who hasn't really been commercialized:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE2OTI4ODA=.html
    Nice post xinyidizi. The vid u posted shows a much better example of flowing from posture to posture vs the original vid. This is what I meant by "posing" in my likes/dislikes list.

Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    Everyone

Is there a "poem" for any particular Version(s) of the Chen T'ai Chi we are
    discussing Here?... If so any one would Care/Want to Post a few Lines from the
    Opening ?....

OTD
    Golden cyborg Smashes the mortar
    Lazy about untying the Coat
    Six sealing , Four closing
    Single Whip

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to WIN!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Chen Tai Chi for Beginners DVD Autographed by Master Chenhan Yang! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 9/13/2018.

THREADS
    Fall 2018
    Chen Taijiquan

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Next meme

I'm late with these. Usually we post the memes towards the end of any given issue's newsstand run. But this time, I forgot to hand them off early enough. One of my best friends died and I've been focused on that. So the memes will run over into next issue, our WINTER 2020, which hits newsstands next week.

THREADS
    Fall 2019
    Chen Taijiquan
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2nd to last meme for the FALL 2019 issue

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2nd to last meme revisited

Interesting. I clip most of the social media images off our twitter because that's robust (I used to clip them off facebook but they change their addresses regularly so they disappear eventually). Yesterday's meme had a typo so I deleted it as soon as I saw it. However the image address remains on twit.

Here is the corrected meme.

I've had such trouble with the memes for this issue. Tomorrow is the last one.

THREADS
    Fall 2019
    Chen Taijiquan
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to win!

Enter to win Two Chen Tai Chi DVDs by Chenhan Yang. Contest ends 7/23/2020.

Threads
    Yang Chenhan
    Chen-style-Taijiquan
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Student exchange

18:14, 15-Aug-2023
    Up close with Taijiquan culture in Jiaozuo
    CGTN

"This is how we do it," the sculpture seems to be saying to one of the students undergoing training at the Chenjiagou Taijiquan Cultural International Exchange Center in Wenxian County, Jiaozuo, Henan Province on August 14, 2023. /CFP

Martial arts, in its various forms, are a centuries-old blend of art, sport and culture that's closely linked to the Chinese identity. Its influence has spread across the world as both a sport and a lifestyle.

Northern China is synonymous with the Chen-style Taijiquan form of Tai Chi developed by Chen Wangting during the 16th century, which amplifies the smooth transition from slow to fast movements interlaced with explosive bursts of power.

Its enduring legacy has been the subject of much study and practice as practitioners seek to benefit from the underlying impact of its movements on health, discipline and endurance. This martial arts form stirs up inner power.

Recently, 23 foreign students began a 30-day training and exchange program facilitated by the Ministry of Commerce and implemented by Henan University of Technology.

The students traded their personal clothing for the customary black and white apparel of the arena where groups practice Taijiquan.

The 23 students were drawn from Tunisia, Turkey, Nepal and Mauritius, among other countries. The training program on the Chen-style Taijiquan will take the form of classes, lectures, seminars and exchanges.
    I wish these existed when I was in college.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips