Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Chen style Taijiquan

Chen Style Tai Chi

I'm looking for some help on this particular type of Tai Chi in this Youtube video. I can't seem to match this style with any other Chen Style Tai Chi anywhere. Does anyone have an information on which branch of Chen Style she is doing? Thank you.

I'm sorry, here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0L5y-h3RmA
    Last edited by danMilwaukee; 11-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danMilwaukee View Post
    I'm looking for some help on this particular type of Tai Chi in this Youtube video. I can't seem to match this style with any other Chen Style Tai Chi anywhere. Does anyone have an information on which branch of Chen Style she is doing? Thank you.
    link maybe?

The routine is either one of the following:
    1. Laojia (Old? Frame)
    2. Xiaojia (Small Frame)
    3. Xinjia (New Frame)

If you are expecting a posture by posture representation of a specific frame/set, then this is/will be a misnomer. This rarely happens. Size, athletic ability, level of fitness, etc all influence form presentation and skill thereof.

Bump, sorry I forgot the link but now I posted it.

It's a mish-mash of xinjia yilu/erlu movements. It does not appear to be one of the standardized competition sets. The way it is being done is in tune with performance wushu- not any kind of taiji, Chen or otherwise.

its a modern competition form

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Slighty OT

Some one sent this to me. I didn't know where else to post this.

firefighter tai chi chen 38
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Some one sent this to me. I didn't know where else to post this.

firefighter tai chi chen 38
    Didn't expect that.

Chen style Taijiquan

I am new to learning Chen style Taijiquan and am interested to know if this style has remained unchanged by the communist intervention of the 1950's?
    I understand that traditional martial art was opposed in this era and the teachers were ' encouraged ' to standardise modern format routines rather than traditional routines.
    After this period and with the expansion of traditional arts coming out of China in the 1980's I am interested to know if the routines of the old style ( Laojia) taught today are from the period before the communist intervention.
    Many thanks

research research research

1. chen chang xin old frame. it is the frame that yang lu chan purportely learned and started yang.

2. chen fa ke's father, chen yan xi -> du yu zhe

old frame

3. chen fa ke new frame, added more small and mid circles and returning coiling to his father's old frame.

if you may learn the 3 frames

you may be able to understand more about the theory and practice

and the evolution.

2 and 3 are newer developments post yang lu chan.

---

Quote Originally Posted by chaz71 View Post
    I am new to learning Chen style Taijiquan and am interested to know if this style has remained unchanged by the communist intervention of the 1950's?
    I understand that traditional martial art was opposed in this era and the teachers were ' encouraged ' to standardise modern format routines rather than traditional routines.
    After this period and with the expansion of traditional arts coming out of China in the 1980's I am interested to know if the routines of the old style ( Laojia) taught today are from the period before the communist intervention.
    Many thanks
    The sky is high and the emperor is far away.

Honestly people have this view of China as some sort of clock work authoritan ubercountry. The fact is that China has 1.4 billion people, 56 recognized ethnicities, the third largest landmass of any country in the world, and a central government jammed up in what is effectively the north-east corner of the country.

Lots of stuff goes on in China all the time that may formally contravene what the government wants. Even during the worst excesses of the cultural revolution and the great leap forward stuff got overlooked.

So whenever you see some bit of history floating up in China and ask "well how did this survive historical event X?" (And in China's 5000 years of history there have been quite a few tumultuous periods of history.) Just remember: the sky is high and the emperor is far away.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

yes

tian gao huan di yuan

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it. I had the good fortune to train with Grandmaster Chen Xiao Wang this year and it has renewed my respect and interest.

I dont mean to hijack this thread and didnt want to start a new one. I was wondering if anyone here has had the chance to train chen taiji with Arthur D'Agostino. I am looking for a chen taiji instructor in the tampa florida area and as far as I know he is the closest. Thanx

Chen Taijiquan

This thread is for discussion of Chen Taijiquan in general.

To start with, what do folks think of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPDrHZdDu7A