Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chen style Taijiquan

Nexus Guest
    Right, William C.C. Chen, Master Jou Hwu, T.T. Liang to name just a few.

Keep in mind that CMC's 42? movement form that he taught for the last 20 years of his life is in many cases the only form that many of his students know/practice/use and is often what you see in tournaments.

The differences between YCF and YLC long form exist, but when turned into application, if done properly, both can yield good or bad practitioners.

This is why as patriot said it is much more important who you choose as a teacher than what style you choose to learn.

- Nexus

Kumkuat Guest
    Actually, I know more Chen style masters than yang ones. The only Yang style master I heard of is Yan Zhen Duo (the standard bearer). Then again, I am a chen style player so maybe that's why.

azwingchun Guest

Chen style vs. others

I guess what I was really wanting to know was, does the actual fighting applications vary that much from Tai Chi style to style? Or is it more how each style is taught, or are they similar just with different forms and speed of forms?

By the way thanks for all the info you all have given. ;)

Nexus Guest
    You just have to experience each style. Explaining it gives too much of a mental picture that is not very accurate to what is actually going on. What you would gain from 5 lessons in Chen style and Yang style would be much more personal understanding than I could explain in 5 pages.

- Nexus

dubj Guest

Who are you studying with?

I live in phoenix and am interested in knowing what chen style teachers are here? Do you happen to know the lineage?

azwingchun Guest

dubj

His name is Dr. Peter Chow, lineage I really don't know, I really haven't got into that with him. And actually I don't think that he really advertises under martial arts or anything (at least I don't think so anyway). He is somewhat my family doctor (TCM). If you would like info I will give you his name and phone number. ;)

By the way, what area of Chandler do you live?

dubj Guest
    I live right off of Ray and Rural road. I'm pretty sure I have seen a picture of Dr. Chow on the emptyflower website. Right now I don't have a car so my training options are pretty limited, but I have found a good teacher named Philip Selmon that I study kun tao with at Mesa Community College. I do like chen tai chi very much and am interested in what lineages are around. Are you studying privately or does he have a school?

azwingchun Guest

dubj

He doesn't have an actual school, it is in the back of his office. I did my first class privately, as far as the rest, I don't know. From my understanding there are a few in the Sunday's class, though it can't be many, since there isn't a lot of room. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. ;)

azwingchun Guest

dubj

By the way that is Dr. Chow on the website you are speaking about.

dfedorko@mindspring.com Guest

azwingchun

I am a Chen stylist and in my experience I have seen Yang stylist come to my Master's school to learn Chen. They had a difficult time in the beginning and had to drop the Yang so as not to be confused. I would not recommend trying to learn both styles. Have a good day.

azwingchun Guest

Damian

Thanks for your input, though I was mistaken, I will be learning Yang then Chen. They will not be done completely at the same time. ;)

Chen - Taiji?

What do you think about Sifu Lawrence's implication (if not outright statement) that Chen isn't a "real" style of Taiji?

http://www.xianghua.com/articles/taijiquan.asp
    http://www.xianghua.com/questions/questions008.asp
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

There are quiet a few people that reject Chen as "real" Taiji.

OTOH, he himself admits to only teaching the PRC forms and not the traditional family styes.
    We teach Yang–style Taijiquan, as standardized by the Chinese National Sports Committee.
    One reason for this I think is due to the meeting of a few Masters that decided to call their art "Internal Arts" and because there were no Chen stylists there.

In the end I think it is feeble attempt to make their style and what they do look better by saying "theirs is not the true xyz".
    Last edited by T'ai Ji Monkey; 10-30-2003 at 02:24 PM.

Seems like anyone wanting others to believe in what they do first must discredit something. Find a teacher and way that you can agree with and practice hard, the rest will take care of itself.
    Last edited by bamboo_ leaf; 10-30-2003 at 02:26 PM.
    enjoy life

Thumbs down

Chen style is too hard for the masses. Yang Chen Fu did a great thing making tai chi soft so that old people, children, and anyone with limited abilities could easily play along. He did more than Bruce (as that site mentioned) in terms of popularizing the style. But in my opinion, it should be called something else. I can feel it is tai chi but you can not see all the principles by observation. At least Chen style clearly shows all the principles to an observer. As to whether or not it can be applied martially, that's up to the teachers experience. But I have never met anyone that only learned Yang style and did not practice other martial arts. In my opinion, this teacher is way off base with his statements.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM