Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you defend against this?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    LOL! Hold on! I am not saying kill him, you take out the leader and the pack tends to quit. In a group like that you either give up, run or have a good strategy. The mouth motivates and the leader compels, take one or the other or both out and it is likely the group will stop, but it is not a sure thing!
    I think that we have a misunderstanding somewhere. I am not advocating hurting those kids. I was just suggesting putting the head kid on his butt or embarrassing him a bit. A nice throw or arm lock can be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I think that we have a misunderstanding somewhere. I am not advocating hurting those kids. I was just suggesting putting the head kid on his butt or embarrassing him a bit. A nice throw or arm lock can be enough.
    Not with a mob! While you are doing that someone will take advantage of your blind spot! I don't care if they are kids, once they are a mob, they are a deadly weapon intent on doing you bodily harm! That's makes them fair game for the same!

Well, I am having a hard time with this one...Shotgun? Mace? bullwhip coated with glued glass and metal shards? Claymore?

I guess that a good katana would do some good in a mob situation. Then again, I've also seen firecrackers work.

Having a pair of trained German Shepards might do the job.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I wasn't thinking clearly about this. Here is a good answer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nknAzQPHE

Or well, tear gas...

Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    See, I don't think a gun (or any weapon really) is a viable option.

A gun COULD work, but you'd have to deploy it and I feel like people seriously overestimate how quickly they can draw their weapon.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with Gene, but he makes a good point.

Though I think there are ways you can prepare yourself mentally for such a situation.
    This is a good post right here. If we are talking guns, we are talking concealed carry. Belly bands are not quick draw. Hell, **** near anything for conceal carry doesn't really lend itself to quick drawing in those kinds of situations.

You know, living in the Philadelphia area I'm so glad I don't go to the city often and rarely with the whole family and when we do we tend to avoid the most popular areas. While I might go to a vegan pizza shop near South Street, I don't go to South Street. In this town "flash mob" has a completely different connotation because some kids have taken the idea and turned it into a flash mob rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    In this town "flash mob" has a completely different connotation because some kids have taken the idea and turned it into a flash mob rumble.

I noticed the media has been referring to these incidents as "flash mobs".

I've always thought a flash mob was more of type of random performance with a large group of people in a public place.

Apparently these people are using smart phones and social media to get the word out about their plans.

Sometimes one-on-one is hard enough, much less multiples.
    I have gone 3 on 1 and 4 on 1, but in the environment of a club the numbers can work against them.
    I have found that the great equalizer ( to HELP YOU GET THE **** OUT) is footwork AND "KO power".
    That said, when the numbers are great, hit and run is the only option.
    And if you can't run, well...no harm in taking as much of them with you as you can.

One thing though and I saw this happen and it stuck with me:
    One of our bouncers got into trouble outside and when I got there he was on the ground and about 5 guys were kicking at him.
    As we cleared the group ( putting it nicely) we noticed that there were 6, the 6th being on the ground and in the bouncers guard - he had been using him as a shield of sorts ( as best he could).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sometimes one-on-one is hard enough, much less multiples.
    I have gone 3 on 1 and 4 on 1, but in the environment of a club the numbers can work against them.
    I have found that the great equalizer ( to HELP YOU GET THE **** OUT) is footwork AND "KO power".
    That said, when the numbers are great, hit and run is the only option.
    And if you can't run, well...no harm in taking as much of them with you as you can.

One thing though and I saw this happen and it stuck with me:
    One of our bouncers got into trouble outside and when I got there he was on the ground and about 5 guys were kicking at him.
    As we cleared the group ( putting it nicely) we noticed that there were 6, the 6th being on the ground and in the bouncers guard - he had been using him as a shield of sorts ( as best he could).
    That is awesome.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    That is awesome.
    Well, when you don't have a dog, you hunt with a cat, right?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Excellent thought!

I went to high school with a guy who was asked to "take it outside" and once they got outside he pulled a straight razor and slit the guy's throat!
    I'll bet he went far
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    I'll bet he went far
    Straight to prison, I think for life!

It was over 30 years ago now!

I think Jackie Chan has given you the answer in the movie, The Karate Kid. lmao

Not with a mob! While you are doing that someone will take advantage of your blind spot! I don't care if they are kids, once they are a mob, they are a deadly weapon intent on doing you bodily harm! That's makes them fair game for the same!
    Possibly, but when I am dealing with kids, I would rather take more of a risk. I would have to feel as though I were truly in trouble before I would respond with any real force. What I saw on the video was a group of kids. If I were dealing with men. I would take a completely different approach (assuming that I couldn't just run).

I worked security where we had to deal with gangs beating up other club patrons. The key was to apprehend the leaders which was typically the kid landing the first blow. I agree that there is more of a risk going my route if the only option is to fight, but I would rather do that than seriously hurt a kid. Although, a solid arm lock or a good through isn't exactly a walk in the park when executed by a man on a boy.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.