Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle bound?

Muscle bound?

Muscle-bound.

Mercifully, that pejorative label isn't as prevalent as it was 30 years ago. Yet many "authorities" still maintain that training for hypertrophy is detrimental to athletic performance.

To keep pace with a more educated fitness enthusiast, the laymen term "muscle-bound" has evolved into science-laden soundbites like "machines and single-joint exercises create non-functional muscles, or "the muscle built through hypertrophy protocols is just cosmetic in nature."

It's still a crock. This mode of thinking isn't just wrong; it's hindering athletes' progress.

Muscle What?

The term "muscle-bound" invokes visions of 300-pound bodybuilders as nimble as the Michelin man and as pliable as a cinder block. In reality, muscle size has nothing to do with flexibility or joint range of motion. If this fallacy were true, one would assume that smaller, longer muscles would be a guarantee of flexibility, yet I've trained many scrawny endurance athletes with hamstrings so short they couldn't touch their ankles.

The fact is, the opposite of muscle-bound may be closer to the truth. A larger muscle has a greater potential for length, just as a thicker rubber band can stretch ****her than a thin one of the same length. For example, as we age muscle tissue loss is common. When muscles atrophy, the number of sarcomeres within the muscles decrease, impairing the extensibility and functional capability of the tissue.

Empirical evidence shows that trainees, including the elderly, who increase strength and hypertrophy of the muscles around a joint will improve range of motion specific to the trained area.

Nonfunctional Nonsense
    Bodybuilding Program for Athletes

Functional zealots argue that bodybuilding-style training will make an athlete slow and uncoordinated but "functional training" will make them fast and agile. This might make the typical functional trainee feel better about their eleven-teen inch pythons, but don't buy it since the empirical evidence suggests otherwise.

The ability to create joint stability or display force is limited by the strength of the muscles involved in the movement.

There's no such thing as nonfunctional muscle tissue. Every muscle is a prime mover of some specific joint pattern, and if any single muscle becomes weak or injured, the corresponding movement pattern will be compromised. Trying to improve the weakness with complex movement patterns (functional exercises) may not achieve the desired results.

According to Muscle Activation Technique founder Greg Roskopf, functional training or integrated exercise will only reinforce compensatory patterns if the weak links aren't first identified and eliminated.

Function isn't determined by the complexity of one exercise – what counts is how you string together each exercise to achieve a desired outcome. Strengthening a muscle within a chain will contribute to the quality of that movement, and the nervous system is well equipped to manage an increase in strength within a specific group of muscles and then incorporate that strength into a fluid movement pattern.

Juiced Athlete = Better Athlete?

Achieving the musculature of top bodybuilders isn't even possible for 99% of the population. Elite bodybuilders achieve their cartoonish body proportions through a combination of rare genetics, extreme motivation, and in non-tested circles, anabolic steroid use.

During the 1970s and 80's, East Germany won many medals on the backs of juiced female athletes, including 40 gold medals at the 1976 Montréal Olympics. Now if you assume that the drugs improved performance through neural and androgenic changes only, you'd be wrong. The women of the East German swim team were infamous for their husky and blocky bodies, which obviously didn't negate their talents in the pool. The legal, moral, and health ramifications of their actions are another matter entirely.

During baseball's "steroid era" of the late 90's through early 2000s', records were being crushed left and right. Some players achieved dramatic increases in muscle mass and strength from one season to the next, causing suspicious coaches and athletes to suspect that performance enhancing drugs were to blame. When the truth came out, the knee jerk reaction in the athletic world was widespread – big muscles are evil and if you're too muscular, you must be juicing.

This scenario opened the door for a new wave of strength coaches who relied heavily on bands, balls, and balance devices. Their programs didn't look a thing like the programs used by the cheating athletes and coaches. This "new" type of training provided peace of mind for skeptical managers, GM's, and owners. Unfortunately, these so-called cutting-edge programs failed to markedly improve athletic performance.

Regardless of which side of the fence you choose to live, the fact that these "muscle-bound" athletes were kicking major ass is undeniable.

So what can we learn from the drug-era debacle?

Performance enhancing drugs (PED's) have a positive effect on athletic performance. They accelerate recovery, cause muscle hypertrophy of both type I and type II muscle fibers, and increase motor unit recruitment of high-threshold motor units.

The question is, how do we emulate these results through natural methods? While it's safe to say a gap exists between the efficacy of current sports science practices and that of illegal drugs, I can tell you for sure performing low intensity balance exercises while standing on a Bosu-ball isn't helping matters.

What's Possible?
    Bodybuilding Program for Athletes

I've had great success helping athletes improve performance by focusing on these four tasks:

Decreasing injury potential by addressing muscle imbalances
    Increasing maximal strength and hypertrophy of prime movers of sport or activity
    Accelerating recovery through nutritional and supplement modifications
    Maximize endogenous androgens through dietary and lifestyle changes

I recommend pure hypertrophy training for athletes. Maximally developing the prime movers of your sport will increase power and speed potential. I call it bodybuilding for athletes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The above was from the T-nation website.
    The whole "muscle-bound" theory has been shown to be quite the fallacy but it is, nevertheless, one that is stil around because of the lack of understanding of many people that is coupled with their erroneous belief that "they know".

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The above was from the T-nation website.
    The whole "muscle-bound" theory has been shown to be quite the fallacy but it is, nevertheless, one that is stil around because of the lack of understanding of many people that is coupled with their erroneous belief that "they know".
    For a second I thought you wrote it... thinking "****, he should write for a magazine or something..."
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

No, that was written by Eric Minor.
    There aren't enough spelling mistakes for it to be mine, LOL !

Good post. Thanks for that.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    great post ronin. enjoyed reading it.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I think there is this notion of that uber-muscles bodybuilder, like Ronnire Coleman, that somehow it is possible for the average person to even get 1/2 way there.
    It isn't.
    And Ronnie is actually pretty flexible all things considered.
    Fred Hatfield mentioned that a study was done of olympic athletes and the most flexible ( outside those that flexibility is their sport ie: gymnasts) were the Olympic Lifters.
    I think that sometime when a person sees some guy that weights 300lbs and is overly bulky like Marius Pudzunowski, "lumbering" around that they forget that he is still a 300LBS person and they compare him with a 150lbser when they should be comparing him to another 300lbser.

There are many strength training protocols and many they don't even increase muscle mass that much, but the fact that the worldest fastest people look like this, should tell us something:

t-nation trying to sell bodybuilding to athletes again....wonders never cease

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    t-nation trying to sell bodybuilding to athletes again....wonders never cease
    Caught that did you? LMAO !

some good points but honestly........

I heard boby builders could not wipe their own ass.

SJ,
    Speaking from experience. I am a very large man. Back when I was younger, I had to make a decision on how to proceed. Should I diet to remain slender or should, I just start lifting weights to maintain a reasonable body-fat level. Excessive dieting wasn't my thing so I started to add weight training. There are certainly trade-offs, but the overall product is of much higher quality than it would be if I avoided weight training.

I am over 6', I bench a little over 400 lbs and squat about 600 lbs. It is important to do speed training if you do extensive weight training. Although, I do; I am ever so slightly slower than than others on the speed bag and some of my kicks. To counter that speed difference, I just don't load up on a lot of things that I throw because, it isn't necessary.

On the ground, I can't lock in the triangle very effectively nor can I lock in certain no-gi chokes because of the size of my limbs. But, I can hang with purples and browns in the no-gi game with no problem.

On some level, I would prefer to have a slightly more slender body. I would say that I am muscle bound on some level, but as I said, weight training produces a higher quality even if it takes from your game a little. A guy like Jeff Monson is certainly muscle bound on some level but he is an excellent grappler, but he has to use a different game that the slender guys.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-05-2011 at 04:33 PM.

I think andy hug was a good example of this he was very muscle bound and moved with ease.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Kimo was a guy who was muscle bound and did well with the added strength. But, he did loose something because it if. Although, he was obvously on steroids. I could not imagine too many people who aren't obviously on steroids being so slow and uncoordinated.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    SJ,
    Speaking from experience. I am a very large man. Back when I was younger, I had to make a decision on how to proceed. Should I diet to remain slender or should, I just start lifting weights to maintain a reasonable body-fat level. Excessive dieting wasn't my thing so I started to add weight training. There are certainly trade-offs, but the overall product is of much higher quality than it would be if I avoided weight training.

I am over 6', I bench a little over 400 lbs and squat about 600 lbs. It is important to do speed training if you do extensive weight training. Although, I do; I am ever so slightly slower than than others on the speed bag and some of my kicks. To counter that speed difference, I just don't load up on a lot of things that I throw because, it isn't necessary.

On the ground, I can't lock in the triangle very effectively nor can I lock in certain no-gi chokes because of the size of my limbs. But, I can hang with purples and browns in the no-gi game with no problem.

On some level, I would prefer to have a slightly more slender body. I would say that I am muscle bound on some level, but as I said, weight training produces a higher quality even if it takes from your game a little. A guy like Jeff Monson is certainly muscle bound on some level but he is an excellent grappler, but he has to use a different game that the slender guys.
    I have a few people I need you to beat up for me, fella...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"