Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAe Kwon Do a viable add on?

TAe Kwon Do a viable add on?

EveryOne always makes fun of tkd. Does anyone here believe tkd is a good add ok for Kung Fu or mma even?

Do full contact tkd matches equal mma full contact?

well since they are tdk matches and not mma matches no. they arent the same thing. and yes tkd is a viable option for striking as long as you remain realistic to your goals. ive met some seriously tough tdk guys with lightning fast kicks that hit very hard.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I have a 3rd degree BB in ITF TKD, loved every moment of the training.
    It was fun, great exercise and you got kicks like no one elses business, lol !
    Too bad for the WTF crap.
    My TKD was old school TKD, while it was point sparring for white and yellows and padded "semi-contact" for all others, for red belts and BB it was full contact.
    Good times.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Mattador View Post
    EveryOne always makes fun of tkd. Does anyone here believe tkd is a good add ok for Kung Fu or mma even?

TKD is NOT RECOGNIZED as a legitimate fighting art by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, and therefore is not a martial art. Henceforth all TKD practitioners should be publicly tea bagged by Turkish Oil Wrestlers (Which was noted as viable in MMA by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, in August of 1998). It is not a viable martial art by definition unless it involves rubbing, groping, dry humping, and being extremely comfortable with your head near another man's p3nis or anus in an inverted triangular position.

Sheesh, why would you even ask such a silly question?

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    TKD is NOT RECOGNIZED as a legitimate fighting art by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, and therefore is not a martial art. Henceforth all TKD practitioners should be publicly tea bagged by Turkish Oil Wrestlers (Which was noted as viable in MMA by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, in August of 1998). It is not a viable martial art by definition unless it involves rubbing, groping, dry humping, and being extremely comfortable with your head near another man's p3nis or anus in an inverted triangular position.

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!
    Well done Sir !!
    I will get the villagers, torches and pitchforks !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Mattador View Post

Yes, I started in TKD and My buddy got up to brown in it before switching. When he came over, we made very minor tweaks to his kicking to add power. He still had great control so it ended up being really awesome for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Yes, I started in TKD and My buddy got up to brown in it before switching. When he came over, we made very minor tweaks to his kicking to add power. He still had great control so it ended up being really awesome for him.
    You sir are wrong! Next thing you know you'll be trying to tell me Wing Chun is a martial art!!! Everyone knows that Wing Chun did not exist until the venerable Bruce LeeŽ invented it -

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

I liked it.

Didn't make me a better fighter, though. Again, it is always about the training methods.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

You sir are wrong! Next thing you know you'll be trying to tell me Wing Chun is a martial art!!! Everyone knows that Wing Chun did not exist until the venerable Bruce LeeŽ invented it -

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!
    LOL you are killing me.

Bas Rutten: No More TKD

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Poor Wenshu... you are now on the list.

TKD can be a good MA to include in your studies, but it depends on the school and how it's taught.

I trained for some time in Tang Soo Do, then switched to a TKD school, and the teacher allowed me to keep my TSD ranking at his school, since they were similar enough (TSD emphasizes more hands than TKD). I eventually discontinued TKD as a brown belt. Both were good schools.

As for kicks, the TKD gave more movement/footwork/competitive training, but the TSD gave a better basic foundation. Did these arts make my kicks better? Yes and no. Prior to TSD, I'd already done Kenpo (black belt), and I was already a good kicker at the time. I'd say TSD/TKD emphasized kicking more, and added a few more kicks/kick variations than I already had. The TSD improved the form of my kicks, and the TKD helped with emphasis on speed of footwork and kicking combinations. It was a good experience.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-12-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well done Sir !!
    I will get the villagers, torches and pitchforks !!
    i got the tar!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.