Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tournament accidents

this always happens at tournaments, there are always several injuries... I think the medical staff is over-reacting but heck... it made the news
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

At tournaments, I've seen:

A broken tibia with the bone sticking out;

Numerous K.O.s, including a few with convulsions;

Dislocated shoulders;

Broken ribs;

In a small Taiwan tournament's San Da-type match in the '80s (without headgear), one guy's nose was smashed by two stiff straight punches, and another's neck/jaw was messed up badly from a perfect, full-out, straight-leg spinning heel kick. Well, okay, these weren't accidents...

At an open tournament, I saw one of those XMA kids collapse/pass out a few moves into his form. He was out of it for some time (the only single-man form injury I've seen in a tourney). Maybe all the over-screaming/hyperventilating along with the fancy jumps?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What I have seen in my time:
    Broken arm, jaw, leg and ribs.
    Concussions, KO's, choke outs galore.
    I have seen shattered groin cups, bones protruding, knocked out teeth, huge gashes and lacerations.
    One guy being carried out with a possible broken neck ( never found out what happened).
    Dislocated shoulders and fingers and even an epelictic seizure !
    and that was just the audience at a futball game
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    and that was just the audience at a futball game
    Sheesh....keep up man, read the whole thread.

I didn't think I'd be updating this one quite so soon

I almost put this in Busted Martial Artists, but then figured this new thread needs more luv. It's all about going to a tournament and ending up in a hospital.

San Jose cops: Poor loser assaulted opponent at martial arts tournament
    By Sean Webby swebby@mercurynews.com
    Posted: 07/07/2011 04:56:02 PM PDT
    Updated: 07/08/2011 06:14:09 AM PDT

In what martial arts organizers describe as one of the most vicious acts of poor sportsmanship ever witnessed, a 16-year-old Florida black belt bowed to his teenage opponent, shook his hand and then returned and kicked his victor so hard in the face that he sent him to the hospital for immediate surgery.

San Jose police booked the Miami Lakes boy, who is not being named because of his age, on a felony charge of assault with a deadly weapon in an incident that reportedly came after the suspect lost a closely fought taekwondo match in San Jose over the weekend.

Even though no weapon was used, police said the charge can be brought when an assault could produce serious injury or death.

Because he was neither a gang member nor considered an immediate threat, the boy was cited and released to his parents. He told investigators that he was upset with the judge's rulings that lead to his loss, police said.

Meanwhile the 16-year-old injured boy is recovering at the family's home outside of New York City, according to his father, a doctor who is also a black belt. He said he had no idea why his son was attacked.

"It goes against everything that is taught,'' he said.

National taekwondo organizers said they are considering serious sanctions, including banning the suspect from the sport for life.

"We are black belts,'' said Mark Kaufmann, USA Taekwondo's director of events. "We are supposed to hold ourselves to a higher standard of courtesy and self-control. Obviously, someone did not teach this kid these concepts.''

The attack was originally reported to the Mercury News by police as a fight between two contestants before their match.

But the newspaper later learned that the attack -- confirmed by police -- was reportedly unprovoked.

It came on Saturday afternoon after the suspect and the Long Island, N.Y., teen had fought in a featherweight quarterfinal match at the San Jose Convention Center. The winner had a chance to go on and fight in the World Class division and maybe, one day, get a chance to fight for the national team.

At the end of the match, the New Yorker was declared the winner when the Floridian lost points through deductions for fouls.

About 20 minutes later, witnesses said, the Floridian came back into the arena.

He approached the New York boy, who was sitting in a chair, had no protective headgear on and was scouting his next opponent.

Letting out a martial arts scream, the Floridian with a second-degree black belt whirled around, delivering a roundhouse kick to the face of the oblivious New Yorker, according to witnesses. Martial arts experts say this is one of the most powerful and dangerous kicks. His bare heel struck the boy just below the nose, knocking out some of his teeth, witnesses said. Doctors later told the victim's parents and coach that the foot missed by inches driving the victim's nose bone back into his skull and killing him.

J.W. Suh, the coach of the injured athlete, said he was sitting nearby and heard the loud thwack of the foot striking the teen's face. It sounded, he said, liked a foot hitting a leather target bag.

He looked up to see the teen falling to the ground and the suspect trying to run away. Suh, a former national team member and a national coach, leapt on the suspect and held him down.

"I applaud that coach for not taking a crack at the Florida kid,'' Kaufmann said.

Suh said he was just focused on not letting him escape.

"Everything happened so fast,'' Suh said. "Afterward, it didn't seem like either he or his father had any remorse.''

Suh said he went up to the father and said, "He almost killed my student. Is this what you teach your son?"

Police separated them.

Suh said the injured teen had been his student for seven years. His father, mother and sister are also martial arts students with him at Suh's High Performance Taekwondo Performance Center in New York.

"He is a great kid, a leader and a great role model for my other students. That's what makes this so sad," Suh said. "What we teach is deadly. It's supposed to help people who aren't strong. You have this power to hurt people if it's taught the wrong way.''
    Man, San Jose, our own backyard. I know many people who attended this event.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I almost put this in Busted Martial Artists, but then figured this new thread needs more luv. It's all about going to a tournament and ending up in a hospital.

Man, San Jose, our own backyard. I know many people who attended this event.
    What was his dojo? Cobra Kai?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What I have seen in my time:
    Broken arm, jaw, leg and ribs.
    Concussions, KO's, choke outs galore.
    I have seen shattered groin cups, bones protruding, knocked out teeth, huge gashes and lacerations.
    One guy being carried out with a possible broken neck ( never found out what happened).
    Dislocated shoulders and fingers and even an epelictic seizure !
    Yea, I knew a girl like that once too...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Gene:
    In that article, it says the doctors mentioned about the kick missing by inches driving his nose bone back into his skull. The nose is cartilage; there is no "nose bone" to drive into the skull, though such a kick could have been a potentially fatal blow.

It sounds like they're describing a spinning hook kick rather than a roundhouse kick, if his bare heel was the striking point.

Freaking disgusting behavior, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Gene:
    In that article, it says the doctors mentioned about the kick missing by inches driving his nose bone back into his skull. The nose is cartilage; there is no "nose bone" to drive into the skull, though such a kick could have been a potentially fatal blow.

It sounds like they're describing a spinning hook kick rather than a roundhouse kick, if his bare heel was the striking point.

Freaking disgusting behavior, nonetheless.
    Actually Jimbo, it's time to brush up on your anatomy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Having held an actual human skull in my hand during college anatomy, the "nosebone" may exist but the idea of driving it into "the skull" is patently comical.

1. The nasal bone is part of the skull so you can't really drive it into it's self.

2. Behind that nasal bone is layer upon layer of sinuses. It's like the crumple zone in the front of a car. Driving the nasal bone into the brain (the only thing back there with potential for a fatal injury) would be like throwing a piece of chewing gum through a keyhole of a locked door.

It's just not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Actually Jimbo, it's time to brush up on your anatomy.
    I stand corrected...

Nonetheless, as omarthefish said, it cannot be driven into the skull. I'm surprised the medical doctors would say something like that, as the old "drive the nose bone into the brain with a palm-heel strike" thing was disproven decades ago.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-09-2011 at 09:23 AM.

I stand corrected...

Nonetheless, as omarthefish said, it cannot be driven into the skull. I'm surprised the medical doctors would say something like that, as the old "drive the nose bone into the brain with a palm-heel strike" thing was disproven decades ago.
    Wait...

You mean Con Air was WRONG!?

How dare you sir. How dare you.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Wait...

You mean Con Air was WRONG!?

How dare you sir. How dare you.
    What can I say?

I'm an Xtreme risk-taker.

I stand corrected...

yeah, the old "nose bone' tends to be what people refer to as the nasal cartiladge and not the nose bone proper.
    I good shot to the nose bone CAN break it, but all that will do is cause the nasal bones to be "loose" in the sinus cavities.
    The danger of the "nose bone' strike in an upward angle comes from the very real danger of the whiplash effect on the back of the neck.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A solid punch across the bridge of the nose is devastating.
    It can literally suck the will to fight out of a man when he receives one of those.

for one thing, he can't see, his face feels like it is exploding with pain and lack of seeing is also disorienting.

It's a great place to punch someone if you wanna sit em down.

It's also a great reason for keeping your hands up and learn to slip, bob and weave instead of skip, jump and leave. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.