Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swaui jao no good. Judo so good.

Swaui jao no good. Judo so good.

Note: This is a thread about swai jiao and NOT Robert W. Smith. I just threw his name in for background.

I read the chapter written by the recently departed Robert W. Smith and wanted to bring this up in a separate thread.

This is not a thread bashing him so do not get all, "Oh, he just passed away so let us not discuss this."

He thought judo was better and i believe this is natural for him since he studied judo.

Swai jiao has its list of issues though. First off too many people just happen to be teaching swai jiao today but their main art is ba gua, or tai chi, or whatever. How do these people claim to teach swai jiao when swai jiao is actually its own art? i think it is marketing to have throwing in their school since mma is so big.

Judo has belts. Swai jiao...not so much. I do not believe they have one ranking system which is problematic. This allows my unqualified son to teach in my name after i die even though he was not a blackbelt among blackbelts. I taught him the secrets while I was yelling at him to do his homework when no one else was looking.

The main issue with these people teaching swai jiao is that they have never won a swai jiao competition. And I believe you need to have actually won a bunch of them just to make sure the gold metal was a fluke.

And lastly what I have heard about swai jiao competition is not good. Sifu Gino posted this in another thread about some competition in Ohio. He said that if you pay the competition fee, and there is no on in your weight class, you can either take the gold metal or get your money back. Well whupteedooda. I just won the competition, mom. Wow, you must have kicked a s s, son. No, actually no one showed up so I won by the kung fu of showing up at the right time and right place. If this is true for all these comps how many swai jaio teachers won medals by default and how many of these guys are teaching and using this competition record to draw in gullible students?

I have never studied swai jiao because it is not available but what I have seen on the internet makes my stomach curl.

Judo has organization just like tkd. Too bad the chinese are not as organized as the japanese and the koreans.
    Last edited by Mattador; 07-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.

I started a thread to take the issue of his books away from a thread about his passing...

You might note what I just wrote there...

We can then either continue there OR here... but no point in having a conversation divided into two threads
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Oh, he's gonna haunt you now dude

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I started a thread to take the issue of his books away from a thread about his passing...

You might note what I just wrote there...

We can then either continue there OR here... but no point in having a conversation divided into two threads
    good luck with that....

I think Smith was only shown what he was shown, and was prone to snap judgements.
    This being said, I do feel judo spends more time on foot sweeps and unbalancing, which is a highly effective skill. That is not to say that SJ doesn't have this, only that in the beginning stages of Judo, alot of time is spent on this.

I have yet to hear from someone who is advanced in both arts. I would be interested in hearing an educated opinion on such things as the SJ fall vs the Judo fall, and others.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Having done both I can say here are strengths and weakness in both.
    Judo is far better on the ground, obviously and SC is more complete with it's blending of strikes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

judo is codified shuai jiao

gi or no gi.

there are many throwing techniques across all styles

including ba gua and tai ji.

--

shuai jiao since 6 year old.

judo since in high school.

there

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    there are many throwing techniques across all styles

including ba gua and tai ji.

Just because the throwing techniques are the same does not mean the tai chi person has done them in the same frequency as the judo/swai guy. These guys should be claiming that they teach throwing but cannot claim to be teaching swai jiao which is supposed to be its own art.

If I teach hip toss to my son does that mean I am a swai jiao teacher? I cannot wait to put that on my website!

I know of one well known wrestler who speaks of winning a SJ championship and he used only his wrestling background to do so.

Would you now advertise that you teach it?

PS: This person does.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I know of one well known wrestler who speaks of winning a SJ championship and he used only his wrestling background to do so.

THis is the shady side of swai jiao. I am glad you told this story.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    good luck with that....

I have yet to hear from someone who is advanced in both arts. I would be interested in hearing an educated opinion on such things as the SJ fall vs the Judo fall, and others.
    Who cares about an educated opinion. Which style of falling works better for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post

If you are talking about Matt Furey he trained with Daniel Weng for a LONG TIME
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Mattador View Post
    Who cares about an educated opinion. Which style of falling works better for you?
    The one where the other guy falls and I'm still standing!

Blog Entries
    Is this pretty much a dead horse by now?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I would be interested in hearing an educated opinion on such things as the SJ fall vs the Judo fall, and others.
    SC fall has one simple purpose - protect your head.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.

What's the difference between SJ and San Shou?

There's no striking in SJ.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb