Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Swaui jao no good. Judo so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    so do you like the shuai jiao method of falling better?
    For practicing unresisted throws, the judo way is best.

For application against real opponents, the way you see competitors doing it is best.

The shuai jiao way doesn't give the benefit of either of the other two ways.

so then it can be said the the slap break fall could be intended for training puproses primarily. which would make a lot of sense as you absorb a lot of the shock your body would be taking. throw after throw after throw during a training session. one would hope in competition you wont get thrown even close to as much as you would in one night of solid training.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I've fallen both ways.
    One time (in band camp..;-) I was practicing axe kicks, and my bottom foot slipped out from under me. I landed completely upside down, if I hadn't slapped out-I would've landed on my neck, and been most likely paralysed or dead.

Another time, I slipped on a wet sidewalk-and side break fall with slap prevented me from sustaining any injuries.

However, this past fall, I was deer hunting in the mountains and tripped over an exposed root, falling forward down the slope, gun in hand across my chest. I curled up into a sj fall and was fine.

in a back fall, you don't land flat-ever, you land curved. To quote Tim Cartmell, "What is easier to roll down a hill, a ball or a refrigerator?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    so then it can be said the the slap break fall could be intended for training puproses primarily. which would make a lot of sense as you absorb a lot of the shock your body would be taking. throw after throw after throw during a training session. one would hope in competition you wont get thrown even close to as much as you would in one night of solid training.
    Yes, plus in competition (or in self-defense), you want to end up in the best position possible. Holding and bringing the opponent with you is the best way to do this.

Tony Robbins singlehandedly threw 100 goddamn mongorians on their ass in the '85 Nadam on a diet of nothing but all you can eat pancakes at IHOP.

Furey and Ferris ain't shit

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I've fallen both ways.
    One time (in band camp..;-) I was practicing axe kicks, and my bottom foot slipped out from under me. I landed completely upside down, if I hadn't slapped out-I would've landed on my neck, and been most likely paralysed or dead.

Another time, I slipped on a wet sidewalk-and side break fall with slap prevented me from sustaining any injuries.

However, this past fall, I was deer hunting in the mountains and tripped over an exposed root, falling forward down the slope, gun in hand across my chest. I curled up into a sj fall and was fine.

in a back fall, you don't land flat-ever, you land curved. To quote Tim Cartmell, "What is easier to roll down a hill, a ball or a refrigerator?
    before i ever 'learned' to slap fall, i was doing it for years while i skateboarded. kept me from breaking myself many a time. concrete is not nice...especially when you are hurtling down a set of 8-10 stairs at 15 miles an hour..
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

before i ever 'learned' to slap fall, i was doing it for years while i skateboarded. kept me from breaking myself many a time. concrete is not nice...especially when you are hurtling down a set of 8-10 stairs at 15 miles an hour..
    the videos of skateboarders breaking their arms while falling is horrible. I learned the slap fall but i tend to tuck my arms in because in my own experience you won't break any limbs or joints that way.
    Last edited by Snipsky; 07-08-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    the videos of skateboarders breaking their arms while falling is horrible. I learned the slap fall but i tend to tuck my arms in because in my own experience you won't break any limbs or joints that way.
    but thats also because they are falling on their arm as a support pillar that cant hold the force. normall you are going to roll out of your fall, but in the instance you have an upward downward fall, slapping outward can definately help, but never never never extend your arm to the ground directly. i never broke any bones skating and i skated for over a decade. there have been times where i fall simllar to shuai jiao fall too with my arm tuck around my head. i have had concussions more than once ><

i did rack my nuts 2 times....worst ever.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Hmmm... 81 nations sending 11 person teams. Last time I checked Sanshou was not very big in most countries, which would mean this is the equivalent to countries like Brazil, and Saudi Arabia sending ski teams to the winter Olympics.

Which would explain Tim Ferris winning the national championships with a few months of training under his belt.
    Tim Ferriss won because he took advantage of one rule. If you knock the other guy off the platform three times you win. Tim Ferriss used his big size and pushed them off.

The state that resembles a middle finger.

man your a clutts.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Tony Robbins singlehandedly threw 100 goddamn mongorians on their ass in the '85 Nadam on a diet of nothing but all you can eat pancakes at IHOP.

Furey and Ferris ain't shit
    Tim Robbins is DREEEEEEAMY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    man your a clutts.
    Uh....that's CLUTZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Uh....that's CLUTZ!
    Uh....that's KLUTZ!
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Uh....that's KLUTZ!
    Well....you sure showed me!

Thanks for publically humilitating me and permanently damaging my flawless reputation!

Oh wait! That error makes even MORE perfect now!

Thanks again!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Uh....that's CLUTZ!
    Uh....that's KLUTZ!
    hum... me thinks... that...you both are right...
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.