Thread: What Southern style is this school teaching?

Hybrid View

What Southern style is this school teaching?

Hi everybody. I'm new here.

I live in the Philadelphia area, and I'm looking for a traditional kung fu school, preferably in the suburbs. I want to do it primarily for fitness and flexibility, but I am also interested in the historical / traditional martial aspect of it.

Recently, I observed a class at a school called Siu Lum Studio, which was founded by a gentleman named Steve L. Sun. Dr. Sun passed away in 2009, but his students are still teaching at his school.

The school offers three separate curricula: Southern, Northern, and Tai Chi.

I would be interested in Southern style, since they offer it several days per week, but I am having trouble pin-pointing the specific Southern lineage... or even the style that they teach. It says tiger/crane, but I'm not so sure, based on the other info provided.

Here's a link to the page with their curriculum.

Here's an excerpt:
    Curriculum
    Southern Style (Tiger Crane) Kung Fu
    SiuLum Studio's Southern Style Kung Fu offers training in the martial arts of the Fujian province of Southeastern China. Our curriculum is based on the Tiger Crane system which combines the two most famous Fujian styles. These systems stress strong and powerful Kung Fu (Tiger) combined with fluid Kung Fu (Crane); a combination that developed into Karate.

Grandmaster Dr. Steve L. Sun was renowned as a teacher of Fujian Kung Fu. For example, Dr. Sun he was welcomed at the Shaolin Temple to learn qin na (joint locking and pressure points) and was officially registered as a 33rd generation disciple of the Temple.

In addition to the Tiger Crane system and qin na, Siu Lum Studio's curriculum includes other traditional forms, such as Golden Eagle, Cobra Snake, and traditional weapons training.
    What do you guys make of it? Have you heard of this specific person and/or his students?

Thanks!

you naughty boy!!!!!!

Oh no... I broke a rule, didn't I?

For the record, I did search before posting.

Nah, I think Snipsky is just high.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Nah, I think Snipsky is just high.
    HEY!.....in no way do i participate in illegal activities.....thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    HEY!.....in no way do i participate in illegal activities.....thank you.
    He could've meant "high on life!"