Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Southern style is this school teaching?

SiuLum Studio's Southern Style Kung Fu offers training in the martial arts of the Fujian province of Southeastern China. Our curriculum is based on the Tiger Crane system which combines the two most famous Fujian styles.
    There is a southern Fujian style called the "Tiger Crane Combination" which is a mixture of Yong Chun White Crane and Grand Ancestor (Tai Chor in Hokkien).

It doesn't to my knowledge have any link with Hung Ga in general and in particular WFH Hung Ga and it's Tiger Crane form.

Dave

Wow. Thanks for the responses, everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Ray_Brooks View Post
    Someone may know better than me, but when I see "southern" and "Tiger/Crane" together, then I think "Hung Gar".

However when I see someone teaching a broad range of traditional styles, then I suspect that they are not purely anything.

Question 1) Is it important to you that you learn something with a traceable linage?

Question 2) Did you like the school and feel like you would like to train there?

Answer 1) Yes.

Answer 2) Sort of.

Let me elaborate:

My background is in traditional Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate. My dojo was very traditional and could trace its lineage back to the founder of the style. Comparing the technique and quality of instruction at my dojo to that of other schools, I definitely saw a difference, and always attributed that difference to a positive correlation between our very legitimate lineage and high quality.

So... yeah. Lineage matters to me.

Some more background:

I practiced karate for four years, and stopped when I busted up my arm in a non-martial-arts-related accident. Two surgeries and a decade later, I found that I really, REALLY missed martial arts, but I was/am concerned about the HEAVY arm-on-arm contact that one experiences in a traditional Goju-Ryu dojo.

Fast-forward to 18 months ago. I picked up Kendo (Japanese fencing), since in that art, the shinai (bamboo sword) and bogu (armor) take the beating... not my arm.

I have found that I like Kendo, and will continue it, but I still feel like I'm missing the hand-to-hand aspect more than I expected.

In the Philly area, we have several kung-fu schools, and I figured that it wouldn't hurt to take a look at each before jumping into anything. I've already ruled out two or three, but thus far, I've been pleased with the fact that nothing they're doing in these kung-fu schools seems like it would mess up my arm... so kung-fu in general seems like it could work for me.

Siu Lum... the school I posted about, seemed to have a lot of techniques that looked really similar to what I'm used to from Goju-Ryu (circular blocks and footwork), but there was zero contact (Good!). Also, it's affordable and easy to get to. Still though, something in the back of my mind is questioning the lineage of the school, and that bothers me.

Also, I may need to move from this area in a few months because of work, and if that happens, I want to make sure I'm studying a style that I can take with me from Philly up to North Jersey (which is where I may end up, if I end up moving).

Tomorrow I am going to watch a class at Cheung's Hung Gar, which is supposed to be a very good school with a legitimate lineage.

Thanks again for the responses.

A couple of Kung Fu schools you should check out in the area.

Here is a Mantis School in Lansdowne, PA (Near 69th street) http://www.grantskungfuacademy.com/about_sifu.html

Philadelphia Wing Chun Kung Fu
    http://www.philadelphiawingchun.com/

The Ba'z Tai Chi and Kung Fu Studio
    http://baztaichi.com/

Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Nam Tong Long Pai, as taught by 5th Generation Master, Gin Foon Mark.
    http://www.southernprayingmantis.com...elphia-pa.html

Northern Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi Academy
    http://www.northernshaolinacademy.co...aSiteIntro.asp

SIU LUM STUDIO Havertown, PA
    http://www.siulum.com
    Last edited by pateticorecords; 07-12-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Thanks!

The last school you mentioned (Siu Lum in Havertown) is the one to which I was referring in my original post.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what style they teach, but I think I'm going to give them a second look.

I had already stumbled across the other schools you mentioned, EXCEPT for the mantis schools.

I just sent an e-mail out to the guy (allegedly) teaching in Philadelphia under Gin Foon Mark. I didn't see anything about class schedules on their site, so I'm wondering if they teach regularly.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by LVorenus View Post
    Thanks!

The last school you mentioned (Siu Lum in Havertown) is the one to which I was referring in my original post.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what style they teach, but I think I'm going to give them a second look.

I had already stumbled across the other schools you mentioned, EXCEPT for the mantis schools.

I just sent an e-mail out to the guy (allegedly) teaching in Philadelphia under Gin Foon Mark. I didn't see anything about class schedules on their site, so I'm wondering if they teach regularly.

Thanks again!

I have seen several competitors from the Siu Lum Academy... they are very good, it is more Shaolin oriented if you ask me.

The Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Nam Tong Long Pai peeps get together in Media and Broomall several times a week- you can find more info here http://www.meetup.com/martial-204/ev...1o_lnm&rv=md1o

I also invite you to come and train with us if you'd like but I teach more of a diversified curriculum utilizing TCMA as the basis. It's a Non-Profit program I run in Media.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    I have seen several competitors from the Siu Lum Academy... they are very good, it is more Shaolin oriented if you ask me.

The Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Nam Tong Long Pai peeps get together in Media and Broomall several times a week- you can find more info here http://www.meetup.com/martial-204/ev...1o_lnm&rv=md1o

I also invite you to come and train with us if you'd like but I teach more of a diversified curriculum utilizing TCMA as the basis. It's a Non-Profit program I run in Media.
    Thanks again.

Can I come and observe in Media some Wednesday?

I am currently in contact with the southern mantis guys; sounds legit!

-Vin

Quote Originally Posted by LVorenus View Post
    Thanks again.

Can I come and observe in Media some Wednesday?

I am currently in contact with the southern mantis guys; sounds legit!

-Vin
    Sifu John O'Hara (Sai Jook Lum Praying Mantis Kung fu) has come to my classes. He is a nice guy.

You are more than welcome to come by and check us out. We have 3 training areas to our disposal (1 training hall, 1 basement, and a Japanese Garden).

Depending on the night we would incorporate Southern and Northern Kung Fu principles, Self Defense, Combat Applications, Qin Na (joint holds/locks), Chi Sau (sticky hands training), Pressure Points, Shuai Jiao (Chinese grappling) principles, Throws, Wrestling/Grappling (I help coach High School Varsity Wrestlers), Forms, Weapons Training, Qigong, and more.

We get together Wednesday nights 7-9 PM and we spar Saturday mornings 9-11 AM. It's $3 a session.

All levels, different backgrounds, different ages... great group of people that work together!

Hope you can make it, all of my contact information is available on our site, feel free to call or email if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day!
    Tom

Thanks again, Tom.

Just to follow up on my original post (in case anybody's wondering), I went back to Siu Lum and asked the instructor a few questions.

Basically, their system is based on Fujian Tiger-Crane, but has elements of other styles mixed into it. Apparently, Dr. Sun was constantly tinkering with their curriculum.

I stuck around for a while, and in my opinion, they definitely know what they're doing.

I still want to meet with the southern mantis guys and see what that's about. I have a feeling that I'm going to end up training at more than one place.

Great Southern teacher

If you're looking in the Havertown area then you probably aren't too far from Ambler. My teacher, Sifu Mark Wiley is teacher of Ngo Cho Kun (Five Ancestor Fist). He is always willing to form a small group, have you join an existing group, or teach privately. His lineage traces back to the founder of the system through his teacher Master Alex Co. Sifu Wiley is very traditional and knowledgable and emphasizes on full transmission and understanding of the style. There is more info and contact information on the Beng Kiam Nho Cho Kun website. Good luck in your search.

www.bengkiam.com