Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wrestling, its the best base

wrestling, its the best base

just got home from a 3hr hour seminar with former hawkeye and UFC coach kenny johnson (well i say 3hrs, i left after 4 and a half and it was still going strong if he could im sure he would camp out on the mats) as always im amazed at the skills a good wrestler has, if you have never touched hands or been shot on by a national level wrestler i suggest you get hold of one, its an eye opener

he covered stance, sprawls, front headlock series (also darc and anaconda and the schultz choke) the blast double, setting up the knee tap, double and single in the clinch and god knows what else after i left the place..........

All stuff i have seen before, but the small details were amazing as were the coaching cues, seeing the lightbulb go on for guys who have been grappling for years (inculding me) is funny as hell lol

it re-enforced to me how great a base wrestling is (it dictates where the fight happens) and how the attitude wrestling instills carries over so well to all aspects of fighting, and why wrestlers seem to dominate so much in the cage at international level

As for internal power, short range power, heavy hands and whole body sensitivity so called internal arts talk about....well i have never felt such heavy hands, such coordinated whole body power or senstivity as when he was playing around with me in the clinch and snapping me down into a double

Just thought id share lol

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

High School wrestling was just formed in our area a few years back. I wish it had been an option when I was in school.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

As for internal power, short range power, heavy hands and whole body sensitivity so called internal arts talk about....well i have never felt such heavy hands, such coordinated whole body power or senstivity as when he was playing around with me in the clinch and snapping me down into a double

I think you're on to something here....good post

Train Hard,
    Josh Skinner

Worked with tons of great wrestlers, and still continue to seek them out. Those who haven't felt it, missing a LOT
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    wrestled in High school and one of my fall backs when I grapple and clinch.

it re-enforced to me how great a base wrestling is (it dictates where the fight happens
    have to add to this. Not only dictation but movement. Total domination of movement on ground level and clinch.

frost, did he go over some drills you can do on your own or teach for shots and training?

cursious is all, I incorporate many into my regement and teaching in classes. Funny but students complain when I start working spin drills, pummeling, shots, and sprawls in class.

It's a KF class but I teach it anyways. I would teach it more and have thought about just having a class dedicated to said practice. But we are a striking oriented base and its hard to find time most times. great base for the grappling arts and gets you used to movements and set ups for takedowns.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

yep went went over stance drills, sprawl drills etc all the usual, it was the level of detail that got me.....he talked about the importance of correct drilling over and over, told a story of when he and a few others went to russia to train, the coach told them that for the warm up they were going to drill basic stance set up and shot a thousand times each, they did the maths that was going to tack 2 hrs each just to warm up...they laughed and the coach said the reason the russians win so much and the americans lose is because they dont drill enough...that shut them up

it was an inch by inch, when drilling you move then stop check your in the right position then move again, he created the ilusion of speed by using correct body mechanices and spring loading the body, was a real eye opener, ive been doing wrestling drills for years our clubs known for its clinch work both in MMA and submission grappling, but the little tweaks here and there were ye opening

sounds awesome, glad you learned something.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

it re-enforced to me how great a base wrestling is (it dictates where the fight happens) and how the attitude wrestling instills carries over so well to all aspects of fighting, and why wrestlers seem to dominate so much in the cage at international level

This is also why a lot of the wrestling oriented CMAists are the same people who are likely to get into arguments with "internalists" who claim we don't know what we are talking about.

Being told we don't understand concepts because we don't couch them in mystical language is annoying.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by simonm View Post
    this is also why a lot of the wrestling oriented cmaists are the same people who are likely to get into arguments with "internalists" who claim we don't know what we are talking about.

Being told we don't understand concepts because we don't couch them in mystical language is annoying.
    this +10000
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

funny thing is that wrestling has more of what "internalist" preach in it than a true "internal" style per say.

I suspect a lot of the "internal" styles started out as wrestling until certain exponents of a more scholastic bent decided to use them as a platform for Taoist metaphysics as opposed to throws and holds.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

When I was in high school I didn't have much respect for wrestling, then in grade 9 a buddy introduced me to greco-roman, the hard way- he tangled me up like a morrocan HO in a texas rodeo !
    LOL !
    I was hooked.
    Went with him to the local wrestling club and did greco-roman and freestyle for about a year.
    Loved it.
    Complemented the Judo I was doing very well.
    You wanna learn REAL and PRACTICAL "internals"?
    Grapple.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

yep went went over stance drills, sprawl drills etc all the usual, it was the level of detail that got me.....he talked about the importance of correct drilling over and over, told a story of when he and a few others went to russia to train, the coach told them that for the warm up they were going to drill basic stance set up and shot a thousand times each, they did the maths that was going to tack 2 hrs each just to warm up...they laughed and the coach said the reason the russians win so much and the americans lose is because they dont drill enough...that shut them up

it was an inch by inch, when drilling you move then stop check your in the right position then move again, he created the ilusion of speed by using correct body mechanices and spring loading the body, was a real eye opener, ive been doing wrestling drills for years our clubs known for its clinch work both in MMA and submission grappling, but the little tweaks here and there were ye opening
    It is important for all martial artists to understand and practice their wrestling skills, perform constant drills, and develop explosiveness.

I help coach high school varsity wrestlers and I incorporate various TCMA concepts that have helped the team better understand movement, countering (reversing techniques), and most of all breathing (concepts of Qigong)
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Almost no other sport trains as hard as wrestlers too!

Wrestling is painful, and makes you suck air big time!

It takes guts and fortitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Almost no other sport trains as hard as wrestlers too!

Wrestling is painful, and makes you suck air big time!

It takes guts and fortitude!

Preach it brother Scott

Absolutely correct, these kids train 6 days a week 3-4 a day, 2 hours of conditioning/strengthing exercises and 1 hour of drills and wrestling afterwards! Great athletes!
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County