Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Know Any Good Books?

Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo is quite interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Martia...032894-9567037

I'm complete the opposite. I only read books that can help my combat skill development. My mom must drop my head on the ground when I was a baby.
    I used to read technique books a LOT, but as the years passed I now feel like most of them say essentially the same things over and over. Obviously, individual techniques are different and I'm certainly not saying picking up a new trick or two is beyond me (my total time training is only about 11 years, I'm still new), but as far as techniques that I have found myself using and imagine WOULD find myself using, I'm a very very simple person. I don't want to read an entire book to pick up one movement that I think might be useful...I'd rather learn technique in a face-to-face environment where there is an active exchange of information.

Basically, I don't think technique books do much to help my combat skill development.

http://ymaa.com/ has a nice collection of books and DVDs
    Very familiar with YMAA and read more than a few of their books. Haven't browsed their catalog in a while though, maybe I'll find something new. Thanks!

If you like martial arts and philosophy The Unfettered Mind is one of my all time favorites for a nice healthy read.
    Interesting AND free! Thanks

doncha love free?!?!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I like free... especially when you can search even dipper to see what else is there for free!

http://schatt.com/books/

Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo is quite interesting.
    Looks to be, I believe I'll be putting it on the list. Thank you!

doncha love free?!?!
    Yes. Yes I do. I do love free. I love it very much. As does my sad little wallet.

I like free... especially when you can search even dipper to see what else is there for free!

http://schatt.com/books/
    Ooooo...I like. I like very much. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I'm complete the opposite. I only read books that can help my combat skill development. My mom must drop my head on the ground when I was a baby.

I have the same habits of collecting moves/techniques like cooking recipes.

yes more or less, they are the same theme over and over.

however, if you vary some of the combo's

it is like a never ending fun for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    collecting moves/techniques like cooking recipes.
    Oneday David C. K. Lin and I were discussing about head lock. He said that if my opponent keeps moving back, there is no way that I can apply a head lock on him. He was right and I had never thought that way. Oneday I read about a technique from a book, suddently something just clicked in my head and I suddently got my solution.

I have tried to find a valid counter for "outer twist". So far I still can't find any solution yet. Hope if I keep reading, someday, in some technique book that I can find some solution.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Oneday David C. K. Lin and I were discussing about head lock. He said that if my opponent keeps moving back, there is no way that I can apply a head lock on him. He was right and I had never thought that way. Oneday I read about a technique from a book, suddently something just clicked in my head and I suddently got my solution.

I have tried to find a valid counter for "outer twist". So far I still can't find any solution yet. Hope if I keep reading, someday, in some technique book that I can find some solution.
    Speaking of GM Lin, His book is awesome:
    http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/photo/book/cover.jpg
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

read my book

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Sweet - it'll be even more valuable after we...

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

read my book
    Shaolin Trips
    Fair enough, it's in the cart

I'm getting: Equal or Greater Force, A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth, Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals, and, as directed, Shaolin Trips.

I'm genuinely excited to get new reading material. I'm particularly hoping that the preparations presented in A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth are not beyond my scope and will assist in dealing with some of my more persistent injuries. They're really starting to hold me back.

Thank you all for your input. Not to say it's too late to offer more

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post

Shameless plug! Well played
    Thank you sir.

(One thing an author learns quickly is to abandon anything even resembling shame when it comes to promoting his book.)
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

If it's not too late to shamelessly promote my own book, you might find this interesting... translations of 18th-early19th century swordsmen.

The Samurai Mind

graculus
    http://ichijoji.blogspot.com

I came across these:

The Crane and the Crocodile
    The Cutting Season, and it's follow up
    Quiet Teacher. All three by Arthur Rosenfeld.
    He's got a pretty decent resume, heavy Tai Chi background. I absolutely
    couldn't get enough. Very martial arts driven, Kung Fu especially and
    in C and C awesome flashbacks on Chinese History.

Jingwu, The School That Transformed Kung Fu, by Brian Kennedy & Elizabeth Guo.

Lone Sword Against a Cold Cold Sky, by Adam Hsu.

The Sword Polisher's Record, by Adam Hsu.

The Toughest Man Alive, by Gene LeBell. Interesting insights, and pretty funny as well.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-17-2011 at 09:01 AM.