Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know Any Good Books?

Hybrid View

Know Any Good Books?

I haven't read anything that wasn't online in a few months and I'm looking for some good suggestions on material. During my lurkings here I saw mention of Equal or Greater Force by Kit Cessna and, after looking into it a bit, I plan to pick it up. I'm wondering if anybody here has recommendations on good books pertaining to martial arts history, general health (including any good recipe books with quick, easy, healthy bachelor preparations...that would be a god-send! ), body maintenance (such as treating common injuries, caring for old ones that you're stuck with, and self-massage), and any good translations of some of the classics.

Please, no books on techniques or how-to self-defense. I find those to be rather worthless.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    a tooth from the tiger's mouth , by Tom Bisio
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

The web that has no weaver

not martial really, not specific to training, but very helpful in understanding traditional chinese martial arts in many respects.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

a tooth from the tiger's mouth , by Tom Bisio
    The web that has no weaver

not martial really, not specific to training, but very helpful in understanding traditional chinese martial arts in many respects.
    Thank you both, those look very interesting. I think I'll be picking them up.

And bawang...I..I....I don't get it. Thank you?

its audiobook. about space marines. make u strong mentally become warrior.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    Please, no books on techniques or how-to self-defense. I find those to be rather worthless.
    I'm complete the opposite. I only read books that can help my combat skill development. My mom must drop my head on the ground when I was a baby.

http://ymaa.com/ has a nice collection of books and DVDs
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I'm complete the opposite. I only read books that can help my combat skill development. My mom must drop my head on the ground when I was a baby.

I have the same habits of collecting moves/techniques like cooking recipes.

yes more or less, they are the same theme over and over.

however, if you vary some of the combo's

it is like a never ending fun for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    collecting moves/techniques like cooking recipes.
    Oneday David C. K. Lin and I were discussing about head lock. He said that if my opponent keeps moving back, there is no way that I can apply a head lock on him. He was right and I had never thought that way. Oneday I read about a technique from a book, suddently something just clicked in my head and I suddently got my solution.

I have tried to find a valid counter for "outer twist". So far I still can't find any solution yet. Hope if I keep reading, someday, in some technique book that I can find some solution.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Oneday David C. K. Lin and I were discussing about head lock. He said that if my opponent keeps moving back, there is no way that I can apply a head lock on him. He was right and I had never thought that way. Oneday I read about a technique from a book, suddently something just clicked in my head and I suddently got my solution.

I have tried to find a valid counter for "outer twist". So far I still can't find any solution yet. Hope if I keep reading, someday, in some technique book that I can find some solution.
    Speaking of GM Lin, His book is awesome:
    http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/photo/book/cover.jpg
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

read my book

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

If you like martial arts and philosophy The Unfettered Mind is one of my all time favorites for a nice healthy read.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo is quite interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Martia...032894-9567037

I used to read technique books a LOT, but as the years passed I now feel like most of them say essentially the same things over and over. Obviously, individual techniques are different and I'm certainly not saying picking up a new trick or two is beyond me (my total time training is only about 11 years, I'm still new), but as far as techniques that I have found myself using and imagine WOULD find myself using, I'm a very very simple person. I don't want to read an entire book to pick up one movement that I think might be useful...I'd rather learn technique in a face-to-face environment where there is an active exchange of information.

Basically, I don't think technique books do much to help my combat skill development.

http://ymaa.com/ has a nice collection of books and DVDs
    Very familiar with YMAA and read more than a few of their books. Haven't browsed their catalog in a while though, maybe I'll find something new. Thanks!

If you like martial arts and philosophy The Unfettered Mind is one of my all time favorites for a nice healthy read.
    Interesting AND free! Thanks