Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good news for Kung Fu…. Maybe

Good news for Kung Fu…. Maybe

Yesterday the importance of controlling an opponent, perhaps even taking him to the ground, particularly if they were armed, was widely proposed and vastly accepted.

This is good news for Kung Fu. If I was full heartedly studying Kung Fu, feeling the ancient Chinese vibes, and saw those videos.... seen other videos of how people are really training takedowns, live drilling etc., I would go find myself a good Chin Na teacher. Really learn about grips and standing locks. There's a very good chance a Chin Na master has a ground game too, or could easily assimilate his skills to the ground and with a gi.... so then I could go test them.

But first I'd want to go find a Dog Boxing master. Learn how to change levels. Learn takedowns and how to attack the legs..... OK. Now I combine that with some Wing Chun training, Chia Sau and sparring. OK. Now we're getting somewhere. Now we're understanding the ins and outs.

What we got to be careful of though is being misguided by the guys that love to wear the uniform but will do anything to avoid a punch towards the nose. They're going to tell us that "sport" is different than "the street." Watch out..... they probably have no experience in either.

Listen to this guy Ray Pina. He's fought in all the different forums AND he's got over 10 years of Kung Fu training (with fighting. with video). He says it's not that the rules don't allow for the deadly stuff, it's that the other guys are tough, courageous, skilled and will kick you literally in a way you've never been kicked before.... not like in the gym with training buddies.

OK.

But what if we can't find a Chin Na expert nearby? They don't grow on trees. And Dog Boxing? Who wants to learn that? Though there's probably a cool Bull Dog emblem involved. Maybe we can encourage the old man to broaden his horizons... a cool Bull God T-Shirt with maybe some cage/fence trim... now we're looking cool and tough at Starbucks. I could wear it to the next UFC party. With some jeans. The girls will notice.

But now we have a real dilemma. Now we know we need this type of broad understanding, and we certainly want to keep the incense and Chinese calligraphy around.... OK. We'll keep the Wing Chun but insist we spar at least 15 mins a week. If it turns out China Na is not that hard to find, that most Chinese styles incorporate it, maybe we'll just moon light at a wrestling or BJJ gym. We just won't tell anyone and call it Dog Boxing and make the T-shirts anyway.

And in the meantime, while we get it together, we'll write a letter to Kung Fu magazine suggesting this Ray Pina guy. He could probably write some interesting pieces an do some fighting and represent. He's even had a Chinese teacher. I've seen him fighting with the Chinese jacket.... maybe we'd take a little less slack.

shameless self promoter!!!!!!!!! hahahahah

Nah, you'll still get guys like this making up b.s. stories in an attempt to validate his opinion that you should never be on the ground with a knife wielding opponent:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    There was a local guy who was, reportedly, known as a MMA practitioner who got into an altercation in a bar with another guy. Later, they ended up outside in the parking lot, where they escalated their fight. The "MMA practitioner" reportedly slammed the other guy to the ground and was on top of him when the other guy used his "pocket knife" to stab him well over a dozen times. He died, and now the other guy's doing life. I'm sure during the heat of the fight, the man on top probably thought or felt that the guy was punching him.

In another case, a well-known local wakeboarder/collegiate wrestler took down a guy on the street that he thought was making a pass at his girlfriend. After taking him down, the wrestler was still behind the guy when the guy pulled a one-handed folder and blindly stabbed once over his shoulder; that single stab wound severed the wrestler's aorta and he died on the street. After two trials, the homicide was ruled as self-defense, since the wrestler was much larger and had a reputation for his temper and for starting fights.

You simply never know who you're dealing with nowadays. In these cases, neither of these stabbers was trained in knife combatives, nor a MAist or fighter. And neither were criminals/gang members, either (at least the 1st guy wasn't before doing life).

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Nah, you'll still get guys like this making up b.s. stories in an attempt to validate his opinion that you should never be on the ground with a knife wielding opponent:
    Where in that post did Jim say that?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

wrong thread?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ahhhhh he's just tryin to merge this thread with what was said in another.....

I'm so glad i'm not HIM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Where in that post did Jim say that?
    Read between the lines.

what does that have to do with ray's post?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

These stories aren't made up. They were well-publicized in the local news, and the wakeboarder story was also featured in an episode of Forensic Files.

I'm not making up any stories to validate anything pro or anti-MMA. I've known of instances of TMA guys ending up the same way. The difference is, those two stories were well-known locally, and recent (withing the past few years).

I simply said you don't know who you're dealing with...which is a fact. I have no agenda to push. I would've mentioned the incidences if they were TMA guys or anyone else for that matter. Maybe you have the agenda.

These stories aren't made up. They were well-publicized in the local news, and the wakeboarder story was also featured in an episode of Forensic Files.

I'm not making up any stories to validate anything pro or anti-MMA. I've known of instances of TMA guys ending up the same way. The difference is, those two stories were well-known locally, and recent (withing the past few years).

I simply said you don't know who you're dealing with...which is a fact. I have no agenda to push. I would've mentioned the incidences if they were TMA guys or anyone else for that matter.
    it doesn't matter since this and faxiepretty is saying have nothing to do with this thread. take it back over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

I simply said you don't know who you're dealing with...which is a fact. I have no agenda to push. I would've mentioned the incidences if they were TMA guys or anyone else for that matter. Maybe you have the agenda.
    Then reference links to them. Should be easy to do since they were so well-publicized.

omg i just for the kicks of it googled 'mma fighter stabbed' sooooo many hits. so i guess take your pick.

the link!!!!

Then reference links to them. Should be easy to do since they were so well-publicized.
    Really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really? really?

you can't take it back to the original thread you started your retarded rant on?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    nothing was widely proposed and accepted.
    This is a very small community. A forum consisting of a handful of people, and certainly not a representative of the Martial Arts world.
    It is a little fishbowl.
    Outside of this bowl, there are other forums (fishbowls) that may be in agreement, but don't for a minute think that this is a world.
    Jeng dai ji wah.
    The frog at the bottom of the well. He looks up and sees a small circle of sky, and from that he judges the entire universe.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    nothing was widely proposed and accepted.
    This is a very small community. A forum consisting of a handful of people, and certainly not a representative of the Martial Arts world.
    It is a little fishbowl.
    Outside of this bowl, there are other forums (fishbowls) that may be in agreement, but don't for a minute think that this is a world.
    Jeng dai ji wah.
    The frog at the bottom of the well. He looks up and sees a small circle of sky, and from that he judges the entire universe.

great minds...

was just thinking a few moments ago; how could anyone honestly believe they would be able to get an accurate depiction of the world of martial arts on an internet forum is beyond me.

it reeks of stupidity