Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ending a fight by attacking vital parts

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Instigator View Post
    So, if someone threw a right or left hook to your head...one could not respond with your own hook with said "Dragon Fist" to that hand's wrist?

I find it hard to believe that with the correct instinct and training of such theoretical tactic would not work. If you hit same area on wrist, one could possibly win the fight if the opponents wrist are hurt.. No?

Maybe I'm just thinking way off base here, sorry!
    No need for apology.

I'm not saying that hitting a limb would not hurt. I'm saying that hitting the wrist if you have better targets is not great, and that the wrist is a far better target when you have a blade than otherwise.

Additionally, people fall too much in love with striking the arm, and start to seek those. Most experienced guys will not flinch from having their striking limb hit. It might hurt, they might have a bruise later, but its effect on the fight is not all that vital, with a few exceptions. Frankly, hitting the bicep of an incoming hook seems more effective to me, if one is targeting the arm, but a hooking opponent may likely be making more valuable openings to their defenses than their wrist, in my opinion.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    The area where the Pectoralis Major and Pectoralis Minor meet below the clavicle towards the shoulder joint tends to be effective in debilitating the arms (the same principle can be applied when grappling/wrestling) and doesn't require pin point accuracy... other wise go for the knees and ankles
    I remember experiencing that feeling in my first longfist lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    I remember experiencing that feeling in my first longfist lesson.
    hahaha... me too, now I inflict it on others... muahhhahaaahahaha
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Cdr,
    The technique you're describing is perfectly valid (at least from a trad. kung fu perspective), but it's a technique that takes much more training time than others.
    Not something to try to do...something that one day when in the zone, you might just do because you see it coming and know you can hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Instigator View Post
    So, if someone threw a right or left hook to your head...one could not respond with your own hook with said "Dragon Fist" to that hand's wrist?

I find it hard to believe that with the correct instinct and training of such theoretical tactic would not work. If you hit same area on wrist, one could possibly win the fight if the opponents wrist are hurt.. No?

Maybe I'm just thinking way off base here, sorry!
    I think I understand your question... instead of a small target strike to the wrist it is more feasible to execute a blocking strike aimed between the inside of wrist and the forearm, this would cause mild to severe pain based on the angle and strength used.
    Tom

Dan, that's more than a fair answer.. Thanks for chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Cdr,
    The technique you're describing is perfectly valid (at least from a trad. kung fu perspective), but it's a technique that takes much more training time than others.
    Not something to try to do...something that one day when in the zone, you might just do because you see it coming and know you can hit it.
    exactly I misunderstood the first time I responded
    Last edited by pateticorecords; 07-12-2011 at 07:52 AM.
    Tom

Fight Stoppers

People get knocked the F out all the time in boxing and MMA.

Punching someone's throat will usually end a disagreement.

Striking the cardioid arteries hard with a chop will knock a person down if you strike hard enough to disrupt the blood flow.

Gonad strikes have been proven effective.

Cupping the ears to shatter a person's eardrums has been known to work to end a fight (and makes them puke).

Thumbing the eye can end a friendly tussle.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    No need for apology.

I'm not saying that hitting a limb would not hurt. I'm saying that hitting the wrist if you have better targets is not great, and that the wrist is a far better target when you have a blade than otherwise.

Additionally, people fall too much in love with striking the arm, and start to seek those. Most experienced guys will not flinch from having their striking limb hit. It might hurt, they might have a bruise later, but its effect on the fight is not all that vital, with a few exceptions. Frankly, hitting the bicep of an incoming hook seems more effective to me, if one is targeting the arm, but a hooking opponent may likely be making more valuable openings to their defenses than their wrist, in my opinion.
    So much good stuff in this post...

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    People get knocked the F out all the time in boxing and MMA.

Punching someone's throat will usually end a disagreement.

Striking the cardioid arteries hard with a chop will knock a person down if you strike hard enough to disrupt the blood flow.

Gonad strikes have been proven effective.

Cupping the ears to shatter a person's eardrums has been known to work to end a fight (and makes them puke).

Thumbing the eye can end a friendly tussle.

Nice... I like your way of thinking
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    So much good stuff in this post...
    I stole all I know from Stephen Seagall's Glitterman.

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    Nice... I like your way of thinking
    I watched my Si Tai demonstrate a move from Small Cotton Palm which involved grabbing a male's gonads - pulling them while simultaneously striking the person in the face with her other hand causing a type of lever action - maybe more of an old school wrestling clothesline type of reaction in the person - except they had their balls ripped out while getting hit in the face.

That's a fight stopper.

Ouch... that hurts just imagining it!! Dam, that would be a show stopper for sure!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Rocky Marchiano used to pummel the crap out of his opponent's arms in the first few rounds, until they couldn't maintain a tight guard, then he'd go to work on them.
    That's about as realistic a real world sport fighting scenario as I can think of.
    Police are taught to target the arms and leg muscles and not the joints with their nightsticks and pr24's. Probably more for preventing permanent injury to the joints and liability though. Most cops I've trained with the stick found that what they were taught on the force was useless against a larger, or drugged out, or adrenaline crazed attacker.
    Let's also take into consideration that there are what we call, non-responders. Anyone doing point striking or chin-na has come into contact with these people. Sure, they won't feel the pain, until it's too late and the joint is broken.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I watched my Si Tai demonstrate a move from Small Cotton Palm which involved grabbing a male's gonads - pulling them while simultaneously striking the person in the face with her other hand causing a type of lever action - maybe more of an old school wrestling clothesline type of reaction in the person - except they had their balls ripped out while getting hit in the face.

That's a fight stopper.
    Holy Cow!!

Note to self never make that guy angry! Or if you do wear a really good cup.

Man I've got my legs crossed just thinking about that. Like a scared turtle!