Thread: Not everyone is a cage fighter.... so what?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    lets see the 2 on 1 allows control of the opponent so he cant get any real power into his shots, whilt i am looking directly at my opponent and can hit with knees and headbutts with real power....but again if you dont like it can you post clips you do like, you have been doing it for 20 years there must be some clips ut there of the way you go about it?
    I think that you are making it an all or nothing kind of thing. As I said, all that stuff is basically fine. I just think that you need to add the disarms to it and I would tweak the control just a little. My opinion is that once you engage someone like that, if you don't run immediately, your goal is to get the knife away from them. Just kneeing to the thigh, head butts, and so forth, aren't going to be enough, and don't guarantee anything. Those things are a good start. IMO, you have to be considering taking the knife at some point because that resolves the conflict when running isn't an option. Disarming a knife is like anything in martial arts you need to know more than one so that you have the right one for the situation. Now if you don't know some of these disarms, this is where you can go to a LARPER and fool around and get the basics and then go back and practice putting it in action with some people who are interested in more realistically training.

Judging by that STAB video it was clear that the training was all predicated on the assumption that the attacker was relatively untrained. Therefore, there are about 3 or 4 throws that you could have executed from that position. Once on the ground, it is easier to affect locks such as wrist locks to secure the knife. There might be one standing lock that I would try from that position (again it was pretty clear that the training was versus unskilled fighters). You can pull the knife to the ground and step on it sometimes. Some of the "fancier" disarms just come up incidentally. The thing is, even guys with little training aren't going to stand there and let you T-off on them. Any time that you grab and hold someone in an upright position, it isn't indefinite. You have to make a move other than hold and hit.

Now as far as grabbing the blade, I hope that you guys mean that you would just try to pry the blade out from the back side, but when I asked earlier, no one but SJ responded to say that, that was the case.

Also, I wasn't video-tape trained, so I only see glimpses of things here and there that I recommend. My instructor spent some time in the Philippines so I think that some of our stuff is probably Filipino in origin although he would NEVER admit it. The best examples would be the die less often stuff as far as hand movements. I will say that one of the most important facets of knife defense are the footwork and stance which isn't really covered directly in any video that I have seen. That's one of the big problems with the DLO videos, the students execute the hand movements but ignore the stance basics so they keep stabbing themselves or screwing up. One of the biggest advantages that a trained fighter has against an armed but untrained fighter is the footwork and stance. Generally, if you watch sparring video of the Dog Brothers, you will notice that most of the guys stand a bit differently with the weapons compared to empty hands and certainly with double and single knives.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-14-2011 at 05:13 AM.