Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Not everyone is a cage fighter.... so what?

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I have no idea what you learned in the past or how you learned it, but all tma defenses aren't created equal. The stuff that I learned isn't all that dissimilar to the stuff that I have seen in those videos. Proper stance strong double handed controls, manipulating the other person to avoid getting struck, striking to eventually secure the weapon from the attacker via disarm. Moreover, I have 20 years of satisfaction with what I know, those videos just provide added perspective from where I am sitting.

For me, the big points of contention are
    -the fact that you and other believe that grabbing the blade is disarm plan A
    -their are errors in all those videos that could be corrected with anything approximating decent knife defense. Yet, you guys buy into those videos wholeheartedly without qualification. It makes me think that you guys had poor knife defense training before that so your are basing your opinions off of McKwoon junk or you just never learned it.

Going back to my first post on this thread. MMAists are quick do declare things as dead, Striking, kicking, karate, and whatever else were all dead. Somebody with a bit more knowledge about them comes along and puts these things to use. Now with this: Disarms dead, wrist locks dead, blah blah blah... dead... Why not just give it some thought and stop the nut hugging if that is what is going on? You will be so much better off.
    lol ross is right you do have reading comprehension problems, i said once that grabbing the knife might be a good idea, and you could probably do it without lossing leverge, i actually said karl teaches to hit from the control position not disarm, and i know this because ive trained with him, spoken to him and know guys who are his students.......... of course you will ignore all this

Going back to my first post on this thread. MMAists are quick do declare things as dead, Striking, kicking, karate, and whatever else were all dead. Somebody with a bit more knowledge about them comes along and puts these things to use. Now with this: Disarms dead, wrist locks dead, blah blah blah... dead... Why not just give it some thought and stop the nut hugging if that is what is going on? You will be so much better off.
    OK, then. Why not do what these guys did? Post the clips of full contact knife training with the methods you are proposing?

Simple enough to show that your way is as good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    lol ross is right you do have reading comprehension problems, i said once that grabbing the knife might be a good idea, and you could probably do it without lossing leverge, i actually said karl teaches to hit from the control position not disarm, and i know this because ive trained with him, spoken to him and know guys who are his students.......... of course you will ignore all this
    Right and you never explained how you would get the knife out. All your plans seem to be to just hold and trade punches until he gives up or you give up and he stabs you.

You don't like disarms so their isn't much left.

Right and you never explained how you would get the knife out. All your plans seem to be to just hold and trade punches until he gives up or you give up and he stabs you.

You don't like disarms so their isn't much left.
    let me type it once again for you...ready...
    he advocates headbutts, knees and elbow wrenches (look thats like a disarm/disabling move)

does that sound like just trade punches or wait to get stabbed?

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    OK, then. Why not do what these guys did? Post the clips of full contact knife training with the methods you are proposing?

seriously...seriously you are asking him to do this.....i hope you are not holding your breath

Well I advocate a lot of the same things. I am just try to make the point that the strong double arm controls lead to wrist locks and strips of the knife. If you guys want to just grab the knife.. Go right ahead.

seriously...seriously you are asking him to do this.....i hope you are not holding your breath
    You have never posted a single video of you training.

Well I advocate a lot of the same things. I am just try to make the point that the strong double arm controls lead to wrist locks and strips of the knife. If you guys want to just grab the knife.. Go right ahead.
    When you do full contact knife training, you are able to do this?

How do you strip the knife vs. grabbing it? Explain the details of "stripping" the knife.

**** REALLY? **** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?**** REALLY?

do you know how retarded you sound? i know you have more in your vocabulary than the quote above. i bet you have very limited number of friends.

You have never posted a single video of you training.
    once again reading comprehension issues i see we have posted clips of the methods we beleive in , he didnt say it had to be me or you just clips of our methods we back

Originally Posted by faxiapreta

but if you want to go down that route sure post clips and ill do te same )

so, let's bring it back round.

Training-

What do you train? - TCMA and mixed bag of regular sota cal/resistance/cardio training

How often do you train? - daily

Do you compete? - no, but I have, I'm old now

Do you think the essence of fighting is the same on the ring as the street? - no. I think there is a safety factor you feel in a competitive sport environment that doesn't exist in a confrontation outside of that context.

do you think training for anything will help you on the street? - not necessarily. most of it is situational awareness. dueling is irrelevant. But it's helpful to be strong and to be able to handle yourself. I think that goes without saying.

Do you think training traditional martial arts will prepare you for the ring? - no. You have to train to the that goal and what ever it is you will be doing it will be in a rule set that you must conform to and that is where your training will go. Not to say you develop bad habits, that happens in anything. If you get a good teacher, you can minimize that a lot. Traditional martial arts are wider and broader than that. Some of the antiquity makes them keep-able for posterity in many aspects.

Do you think any and all exercise is good in general and martial arts exercise in particular? - YES

Kung Fu is good for you.

once again reading comprehension issues i see we have posted clips of the methods we beleive in , he didnt say it had to be me or you just clips of our methods we back
    I know exactly what he said. I just figured that you were going down your normal route.

but if you want to go down that route sure post clips and ill do te same )
    If you were ever going to post a clip you would have already. If you don't want to, that's completely cool, but I seriously doubt that I ever will nor will you.

When you do full contact knife training, you are able to do this?

How do you strip the knife vs. grabbing it? Explain the details of "stripping" the knife.
    Stipping is just a type of disarm where you use the leverage of the handle or blade of the knife to knock it out of the opponent's hand. I was trying to find some clips in real time. I have seen them here and there from various JKD guys Balicki, Richardson, Dog Brothers (Ex JKD). I never thought it to be a big deal that people would need to see a live strip. You can find larper versions on youtube.

I know exactly what he said. I just figured that you were going down your normal route.

If you were ever going to post a clip you would have already. If you don't want to, that's completely cool, but I seriously doubt that I ever will nor will you.
    im sure i have posted a couple of clips, heres a grappling one from 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7qy_XITvkg

not great i know but hey i tried

Stipping is just a type of disarm where you use the leverage of the handle or blade of the knife to knock it out of the opponent's hand. I was trying to find some clips in real time. I have seen them here and there from various JKD guys Balicki, Richardson, Dog Brothers (Ex JKD). I never thought it to be a big deal that people would need to see a live strip. You can find larper versions on youtube.
    Most of the strips you are talking about are LARPER versions.

It's a lot higher percentage (not to mention many times safer) to grab the blade instead of trying to "strip" it.