Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MMA did Help the Evolution of TCMA

I prefer to use my iron crotch against the double leg. Obvious, really.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Knowing you are probably being truthful

Quote Originally Posted by Mattador View Post
    Knowing you are probably being truthful
    Forgot a period. English much?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    All things that do not evolve are essentially dead. Kung Fu or any other martial art is no different. If you practice in a stagnant manner or that such and such technique is the answer to all situations, you have failed.

For example, you have two practioners A. LARP Kung Fu B. MMA/Sanda/Reality based Kung Fu

Practioner A and Practioner B want to learn to stop a double leg takedown. The Kung Fu answer is drop into horse stance, drop and elbow to the back of the head. Reality based answer is the sprawl.

Now most reality based arts will drill this until the sprawl comes naturally, the LARPer will have someone come in slow and unrealistic while he postures and makes it look good to the ignorant eye, convincing the naive this would actually work.

Now the reason I distinguish between LARP and reality is that there is a huge difference and someone who is blinded by an agenda is the only ones who don't recongnize this. But the big difference is there are many more LARPers in Kung Fu than in MMA, and until this changes, this attitude will continue.
    There will always be plenty of larpers in the modern world of kungfu. Shouldn't stop the world of MMA from functioning. Is it a business/marketshare thingy?

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    in the 1950s, it was kara te

in the 1960s, it was tae kwan do.

in the 1970s, it was kung fu

--

in the 1990s, it was ufc, mma

in the 2010s, it will be---

--

if the evolution is at work, then what would be the next ---
    Turkish oil wrestling with mild flavored olive oil.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 07-14-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    I normally use mine to apply or defend the suplex.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I normally use mine to apply or defend the suplex.
    Mere muscling!

Surely!!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Turkish oil wrestling with mild flavored olive oil.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvOPy...el_video_title

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Shirley!!!!
    as in the temple?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    as in the temple?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    All things that do not evolve are essentially dead. Kung Fu or any other martial art is no different. If you practice in a stagnant manner or that such and such technique is the answer to all situations, you have failed.

For example, you have two practioners A. LARP Kung Fu B. MMA/Sanda/Reality based Kung Fu

Practioner A and Practioner B want to learn to stop a double leg takedown. The Kung Fu answer is drop into horse stance, drop and elbow to the back of the head. Reality based answer is the sprawl.

Now most reality based arts will drill this until the sprawl comes naturally, the LARPer will have someone come in slow and unrealistic while he postures and makes it look good to the ignorant eye, convincing the naive this would actually work.

Now the reason I distinguish between LARP and reality is that there is a huge difference and someone who is blinded by an agenda is the only ones who don't recongnize this. But the big difference is there are many more LARPers in Kung Fu than in MMA, and until this changes, this attitude will continue.
    I'd respectfully disagree with this post. I think that the MMA ruleset dictates the MMA answer. However, I'd consider a quick knee to the head of the incoming attacker would be a more proper real world solution. Most people when discussing MMA overlook a lot of the rules that make certain techniques more effective. In this case, there is a prohibition against kicking a down (he is considered "grounded" due to having a knee on the ground, as is trained in MMA to take advantage of this rule).

Also note that the move "striking downward with the point of the elbow" and also, "striking to the back of the head" is illegal in UFC. (15. (A)(x) and (xi) ). So, I'd disagree that your "reality based solution isn't the elbow to the back of the head-- you CAN'T do that in MMA.

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/ru...regulations#15 has a list of "fouls". Frankly, I think many of the fouls are some of the bread and butter of TCMA (especially the groin kicks-- anyone who's done a lot of TCMA training has to acknowledge we have a whole lot of groin kicks).
    And I'd like to point out that this is how a Kung Fu lawyer argues... actually backing up his arguments with some research.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawyer View Post
    I'd respectfully disagree with this post. I think that the MMA ruleset dictates the MMA answer. However, I'd consider a quick knee to the head of the incoming attacker would be a more proper real world solution. Most people when discussing MMA overlook a lot of the rules that make certain techniques more effective. In this case, there is a prohibition against kicking a down (he is considered "grounded" due to having a knee on the ground, as is trained in MMA to take advantage of this rule).

Also note that the move "striking downward with the point of the elbow" and also, "striking to the back of the head" is illegal in UFC. (15. (A)(x) and (xi) ). So, I'd disagree that your "reality based solution isn't the elbow to the back of the head-- you CAN'T do that in MMA.

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/ru...regulations#15 has a list of "fouls". Frankly, I think many of the fouls are some of the bread and butter of TCMA (especially the groin kicks-- anyone who's done a lot of TCMA training has to acknowledge we have a whole lot of groin kicks).
    And I'd like to point out that this is how a Kung Fu lawyer argues... actually backing up his arguments with some research.
    I think you may be forgetting all the years, decades really, where there were NO RULES and the same techiques and principles STILL came out victorious.
    Even in the early UFC's that had rules ( respect the tap and no biting), the results were the same.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I think you may be forgetting all the years, decades really, where there were NO RULES and the same techiques and principles STILL came out victorious.
    Even in the early UFC's that had rules ( respect the tap and no biting), the results were the same.
    1. Original UFC
    2. PRIDE
    3. 50+ years in Brazil

4. The MMA events in China now... downward elbows AND kicking the downed opponent, and Beijing BJJ and the san da guys are still the ones winning
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

LMAO at any idiot who thinks dropping the infamous elbow to the back of the head will stop a top notch wrestler. It always cracks me up the ones with no grappling experience because they think the shoot comes from 10 feet away, in slow motion, and one can easily see it coming.

Please try and apply that technique to this, see where it gets you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEhfPlswZI0
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato