Thread: What Stands Out About TCMAists in The Ring?

Hybrid View

in the ring

yes you fight with rules

and may the best man win.

some of your CMA training may have to be modified to be safe

no kicking knee, etc

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    in the ring

yes you fight with rules

no kicking knee, etc

--

well, more along the eyes of stick to the rules and don't fight dirty.
    fighting dirty is how to shorten fights.

putting gloves on, setting weight limits, having everyone train hard in a fairly similar methodology makes fights last longer...so people will pay a little bit to watch them.

what's not to get?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ok ill be serious for a moment and on topic.

What Stands Out About TCMAists in The Ring?

the place i think you will see the highest population of tcma people fighting in the ring would be sanshou.

in my opinion what stands out the most in this ring sport in comparison with other full contact fight sports is; the combination and exclusion to stand up and throwing/sweeping, in what could be considered ()a 'kickboxing' environment. really its a solid package for a good portion of a complete mma game. its that combination of striking and wrestling in sport that i think tcma displays best as its 'flavor' in full contact sport fighting. you can see this strength really come out when you see people who have trained under the sanshou ruleset for years switch over to the mma rule set.

now i know this is generally a quality attributed to the rules in which the people are fighting and any 'style' can compete in sanshou. but i still believe that when you are talking about tcma people actually fighting full contact, you will see them training in this fashion for that arena more often than anything else.
    Last edited by Lucas; 07-13-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Wow, 3 pages and nothing that shows "what stands out" about TCMA in the ring.
    Excellent work guys !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Wow, 3 pages and nothing that shows "what stands out" about TCMA in the ring.
    Excellent work guys !
    Apologies, but frost isn't clear on exactly what TCMA entails so... Here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Apologies, but frost isn't clear on exactly what TCMA entails so... Here we go again.
    Pictures and video is worth 1000 words.
    I am sure you can find something to illustrate your point.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Pictures and video is worth 1000 words.
    I am sure you can find something to illustrate your point.
    You are probably correct. I hate running through Youtube to find stuff, but it probably is better than having to try and explain every point 50 different ways. I might have to break down and do that.

Humble can you not see the inconsistency of saying on the one hand cung lee (after I posted a clip of him) isn’t a good example of TCMA kicking because he does TKD, then posting a clip of TKD kicking to show good TCMA kicking (im not even going to mention the other kick it was that bad) then arguing Ron isn’t a good example of TCMA in a full contact event because he did point sparring…………news flash he is TCMA and it was a full contact event, how does that NOT make it TCMA in a full contact event? If you can do better please show us

As for the roids thing again nothing screams to me he was on them, I don’t have any prove he does and since you bench over 400 squat over 600 and are big yourself we should ask do you take them?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Humble can you not see the inconsistency of saying on the one hand cung lee (after I posted a clip of him) isn’t a good example of TCMA kicking because he does TKD, then posting a clip of TKD kicking to show good TCMA kicking (im not even going to mention the other kick it was that bad)
    I thought that you would say that. The videos that I found were just one's that appeared consistent with what I believe to be correct TCMA kicking. Admittedly the JKD kick wasn't a great example (which I said), but it had some elements that are worth thinking about. He did a good job of generating a good amount of power via speed. But, yea, there are a lot of shenanigans in that video.

then arguing Ron isn’t a good example of TCMA in a full contact event because he did point sparring…………news flash he is TCMA and it was a full contact event, how does that NOT make it TCMA in a full contact event? If you can do better please show us
    I just said that he looked like he was points fighting. He was a product of the time. That's all I was trying to point out. I didn't say that it was good or bad.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-16-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Humble can you not see the inconsistency of saying on the one hand cung lee (after I posted a clip of him) isn’t a good example of TCMA kicking because he does TKD,
    It would have been more correct if I would have just said that he wasn't demonstrating things in those highlights that represented TCMA by my understanding Which is fine. I don't really care if TCMA guys necessarily go out and represent TCMA. However, I think that people with a TCMA background will find certain things help them in full-contact and they will continue to use them in the ring.

It would have been more correct if I would have just said that he wasn't demonstrating things in those highlights that represented TCMA by my understanding Which is fine.
    I study kung fu. can you tell me what is a kung fu kick? or how TCMA is supposed to kick? i'm confused. i thought what ever kick works the best for you to achieve maximum power and speed is what you should do or work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    I study kung fu. can you tell me what is a kung fu kick? or how TCMA is supposed to kick? i'm confused. i thought what ever kick works the best for you to achieve maximum power and speed is what you should do or work on.
    I agree. There is no one kick that a TCMA practitioner has to rely upon. I learned every kind of kick from the snappiest TKD looking thing to the heaviest "thai" kick in TCMA. I think that there is just a standard basic kicking method that exemplifies TCMA, but it/we are certainly not limited to one kick or method.

I was just trying to discuss what would typically be taught to a beginner in TCMA.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    in the ring

yes you fight with rules

no kicking knee, etc

--

No kicking knee? What about hamstring? (Canadian Hamstring?).

Wouldn't MMA be better satuated in oil? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XmWjMcDlYE