Thread: 1960's Kung Fu / Nice older video of Masters

1960's Kung Fu / Nice older video of Masters

found this video the other day, not sure if its been posted yet, I like it though.
    feel free to share any info you have on the masters in the video!
    Someone in the comments mentioned Master Hung I Hsiang who taught Ba Gua and Hsing I Chuan.

Also the description speaks on the footage being of masters who fled mainland China to Taiwan in 1960's

great footage either way

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post

found this video the other day, not sure if its been posted yet, I like it though.
    feel free to share any info you have on the masters in the video!
    Someone in the comments mentioned Master Hung I Hsiang who taught Ba Gua and Hsing I Chuan.

Also the description speaks on the footage being of masters who fled mainland China to Taiwan in 1960's

great footage either way

Amituofo
    I used to see Hung I-Hsiang, as well as Liao Wu-Chang (the Monkey master), both of whom were mentioned in Robert W. Smith’s books, at some of the kuoshu (CMA) competitions in Taiwan, seated with other masters. Another great old-time master who was considered one of the living treasures of Taiwan was Eagle Claw master Chung Fu-Sheng, who was one of my Mantis teacher’s CMA instructors. It was an honor meeting him, and a couple times my teacher took me to Master Chung’s apartment while paying respects to him.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-06-2019 at 09:05 AM.

That's so cool Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I used to see Hung I-Hsiang, as well as Liao Wu-Chang (the Monkey master), both of whom were mentioned in Robert W. Smith’s books, at some of the kuoshu (CMA) competitions in Taiwan, seated with other masters. Another great old-time master who was considered one of the living treasures of Taiwan was Eagle Claw master Chung Fu-Sheng, who was one of my Mantis teacher’s CMA instructors. It was an honor meeting him, and a couple times my teacher took me to Master Chung’s apartment while paying respects to him.
    Sweet. When was that? Got pix?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Sweet. When was that? Got pix?
    This was back in the late ‘80s to early ‘90s. Unfortunately, I don’t have any pix of Hung or Liao, and I never formally met those two personally, but I used to see Hung especially, attending various tournaments, not only in Taipei, but also at a tournament down south in Kaohsiung. One time an American classmate of mine there and I took a visiting American friend of his to Hung I-Hsiang’s school in Taipei, because the visiting friend had read Smith’s books and had been interested in studying Bagua under Hung. Hung was not there that day, but his wife was, and she told him that if he studied there, he would have to start with ‘Shaolin’, then progress to Xingyi, then Bagua, then Taiji. He ended up choosing not to.

Come to think of it, there are a lot of things from that time period I never bothered to take pix of. I wish I had taken more.

Here are some masters demos from the movie The Story of Wong Fei-Hung, Part 1 (1949), including a demo of Hung Gar’s Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen (Tiger-Crane form) by Master Chan Hon-Chung:

Last edited by Jimbo; 11-08-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Taiji demo in Nanjing, China (1934):

That device is pretty ingenious. I wish I had a setup like that.

Shandong and Nanjing forms from 1936:

Those are good videos Jimbo, that "Tai Chi device" is nice and would keep me busy for sure!! There some more older footage on youtube with poor commentary I'd like to get your perspective on booth, the footage and commentary, I'll find it and post it soon.
    Shaolin Meditator

heres a video with some nice footage, yet the commentary borders disrespectful & ignorant, and almost on purpose lol, it sounds like. Anyhow I will give him a break because he's uneducated on the topic. Though some people like to talk down on traditional styles, especially argue against their origins, without doing any research beyond google. We know there we martial arts, in and around ShaolinTemple, at least a thousand years worth, we also know that there are large generation gaps in the knowledge spark and spread (and numerous periods of exchange and expansion) for political reasons, so making the link to anything after 1930 in Chinese arts is a tuff task.

however, it's a task many have taken up so there are answers out there as to how many, if not ALL the arts that survived to this day we formed and also who formed them. So for that reason I said this video had poor commentary.
    Last edited by Djuan; 11-29-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    Shaolin Meditator

this video has some nice footage, and the video description is pretty intriguing. If anyone has more info on it, please share. One question I had from the description is, are the "5 Tiger Stick Society" related to the "10 Tigers from Guangzhou" (of Wong Kei-ying folklore) which I always thought, or imagined as an entirely true story.

Shaolin Meditator