Thread: Rate/critique these Baji performances.

Hybrid View

Rate/critique these Baji performances.

http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/56115456-2099658804.html

or alternately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5G8d8KfftQ

Specifically, I am looking for comparisons between the 2nd and 3rd performances in the clip. It's the same form done by 2 different students of the same teacher.

0:00 - 0:55 Introduction in Chinese only
    0:55 - 1:30 Baji Xiaojia
    1:30 - 2:30 Baji Dajia
    2:30 - 3:30 Baji Dajia
    3:30 - 3:55 Baji Sabre

Again, I mainly want comparative feedback on the 2nd and 3rd performances.
    Last edited by omarthefish; 07-13-2011 at 11:56 PM.

From what I see,

Your movements seem more forceful (explosive?).

The other guy's seemed smoother but less forceful. Seemed like he played the form faster too?

This is from my non-expert opinion.

Don't know what it's "suppose" to be like, but this is what I can tel you.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I'm trying to sort out my own subjective critique from the thing so I don't want to really put my own thoughts out there until I've seen what it apparently looks like from the outside.

The two of us have our own strengths and weaknesses and both have very different goals for training so, of course, very different results. In any case, I am too close to the thing to be objective. So thanks for your initial input.

...Seemed like he played the form faster too?
    Might be the editing. As a general rule, I always finish the form about 5-10 seconds faster than he does. I actually made a significant effort to stretch it out for the show but not by slowing down. I just try to remember to pause longer on each of the "photo ops". Sometimes I even count to 3 in my head before moving to the next move. It's irrelevant martially but helps you score higher in comps and you tend to get better pictures in the media if you sort of indicate "take a picture....now" at certain points. Just by timing the thing though, I still run it a fair bit faster than he does.

your arms are wobbly

doing form aggresively looks good only if you look strong like your teacher

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You're right. I know my form is too loose. I always work for power. I'd rather be strong and ugly than beautiful and delicate.

What about the other guy doing the same form as me?

==============================
    btw, teacher is 70 years old in that clip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    I'd rather be strong and ugly than beautiful and delicate.
    I don't train forms any more. If I still do, I prefer to train my form like a mad man than a nice guy.

You're right. I know my form is too loose. I always work for power.
    you are performing a form in front of public, why the hell wouldnt you want to look good

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Again, I mainly want comparative feedback on the 2nd and 3rd performances.
    Sorry, I have zero experience in baji and thus have zero room to critique practitioners of it.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Sorry, I have zero experience in baji and thus have zero room to critique practitioners of it.
    I don't think it's necessary to have experience in a certain form of MA to offer a sincere critique of how one person moves compared to the other. In this case, person A seems to be focusing on issuing and projecting power whereas person B has a more relaxed, fluid motion but still exhibiting power.

the theory of ba ji rooting is actually very deep or hard.

we may stomp feet in every posture.

--

in the old time, people may know how good your rooting by listening the sound of your stomping.

snappy or crispy is light and superficial.

muffled is deep and heavy.

--

my point is that ba ji has many stomping feet practice.

actually, many styles have stomping feet including tai ji.

---

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

actually, many styles have stomping feet including tai ji.

---
    I totally agree SPJ you see stomping power in some of the best styles. For some of the others who posted in this channel i'm amazed you guys haven't been perm banned yet from this forum. I do have one question though to the thread starter, you turned down a fight with a woman? Cause I think bawang brought it up and I didn't see you even reply to it, that looked pretty bad to me. I think its one thing to ignore a pointless rude comment which you seem to do pretty well but you're also not addressing some of the points they are making. I watched your videos though and i'm just glad to see more videos of Baji to be honest.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to have experience in a certain form of MA to offer a sincere critique of how one person moves compared to the other. In this case, person A seems to be focusing on issuing and projecting power whereas person B has a more relaxed, fluid motion but still exhibiting power.
    Yet I still feel the same about it. I critique the hell outta some youtube, movies, etc.. However it's from "my point of view"; a view that is not educated nor experienced of the style in question.

For me to say that they should have done x instead of y is silly, because I have no idea about the alphabet being used whatsoever.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org