Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate/critique these Baji performances.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Power is supposed to come from the dan tian. The feet and legs offer an anchor to the earth and the arms direct it and all but Baji's distinctive power method is based on a dan tian "explosion". A full body shot of explosive power that starts at the dan tian and radiates out from there in all directions, hence the name "ba-ji" (meaning "the 8 cardinal directions) Baji fa-jin is supposed to be omni-directional.
    excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Accept in personal relationship is not the same thing as integration into a foreign society.
    lots of americans get intergrated into china. this guy is living in lala land. he thinks his incredible physical prowess is scaring the chinese.

looking at your rubber chicken neck and arms that make sine waves when you punch, you definitely make other baji people in china sh1t their pants. send fear into their innermost being.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-15-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You're just mad cause he's in china stealing ur wiminz.

American wiminz laugh at your two incher? Move to China, all the native unshaved peasants will think you're King Kong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Again, I mainly want comparative feedback on the 2nd and 3rd performances.
    Sorry, I have zero experience in baji and thus have zero room to critique practitioners of it.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Sure it's part of it. SPJ described a hierarchy. He said:

The assumption there is that power comes from proper form. I'd argue that proper form transmits power efficiently but that form is not the source of power, especially from a semi-internal style like Bajiquan. Power is supposed to come from the dan tian. The feet and legs offer an anchor to the earth and the arms direct it and all but Baji's distinctive power method is based on a dan tian "explosion". A full body shot of explosive power that starts at the dan tian and radiates out from there in all directions, hence the name "ba-ji" (meaning "the 8 cardinal directions) Baji fa-jin is supposed to be omni-directional.

Driving your movements from the dantian outwards (or occasionally "imploding" - explosively pulling everything in towards your center) is really really hard to do but if you can do it, then the specifics of where you place your pinky finger and whether your rear foot is turned in at a 30 degree angle or a 45 degree angle becomes almost irrelevant.

This focus on explosive power over precision and detail is what sets Baji apart from Shaolin. Everyone wants to be precise. Everyone wants to be powerful. Everyone has to prioritize their training.
    All fine and well but always be warry of the "weakest link" because you are only as strong as your weakest link.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Sorry, I have zero experience in baji and thus have zero room to critique practitioners of it.
    I don't think it's necessary to have experience in a certain form of MA to offer a sincere critique of how one person moves compared to the other. In this case, person A seems to be focusing on issuing and projecting power whereas person B has a more relaxed, fluid motion but still exhibiting power.

the theory of ba ji rooting is actually very deep or hard.

we may stomp feet in every posture.

--

in the old time, people may know how good your rooting by listening the sound of your stomping.

snappy or crispy is light and superficial.

muffled is deep and heavy.

--

my point is that ba ji has many stomping feet practice.

actually, many styles have stomping feet including tai ji.

---

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

actually, many styles have stomping feet including tai ji.

---
    I totally agree SPJ you see stomping power in some of the best styles. For some of the others who posted in this channel i'm amazed you guys haven't been perm banned yet from this forum. I do have one question though to the thread starter, you turned down a fight with a woman? Cause I think bawang brought it up and I didn't see you even reply to it, that looked pretty bad to me. I think its one thing to ignore a pointless rude comment which you seem to do pretty well but you're also not addressing some of the points they are making. I watched your videos though and i'm just glad to see more videos of Baji to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    All fine and well but always be warry of the "weakest link" because you are only as strong as your weakest link.
    I did say on the previous page:
    ...I'd argue that proper form transmits power efficiently but that form is not the source of powerI'd argue that proper form transmits power efficiently but that form is not the source of power
    By way of analogy, the dan tian thing I am talking about is the engine. The form is rest of the power train. Shifu even likes to compare dan-tian work to the compression chamber in the pistons. I have an older interview where he's saying that without the compression, you get no explosion.

There's a lot of parts of a car that all contribute to it's speed, acceleration, handling etc. but what kind of engine drives the thing does matter. All I am saying is that my teachers approach is to start building a fighter from the engine and build the rest of drive train out from there. You could build a car by building everything else first and dropping the engine in at the end but I think his view is that the engine is the trickiest part, takes the longest time, so get to work on it first.

You want both but again, would you rather have a sloppy form that was fast and powerful or an accurate form with no power? What's a more serious problem with a car? A burnt out clutch or burnt out cylinders in the engine?

I'm making a relative, not absolute comparison here.

I did say on the previous page:

By way of analogy, the dan tian thing I am talking about is the engine. The form is rest of the power train. Shifu even likes to compare dan-tian work to the compression chamber in the pistons. I have an older interview where he's saying that without the compression, you get no explosion.

There's a lot of parts of a car that all contribute to it's speed, acceleration, handling etc. but what kind of engine drives the thing does matter. All I am saying is that my teachers approach is to start building a fighter from the engine and build the rest of drive train out from there. You could build a car by building everything else first and dropping the engine in at the end but I think his view is that the engine is the trickiest part, takes the longest time, so get to work on it first.

You want both but again, would you rather have a sloppy form that was fast and powerful or an accurate form with no power? What's a more serious problem with a car? A burnt out clutch or burnt out cylinders in the engine?

I'm making a relative, not absolute comparison here.
    very funny i just remember wang shifu (youknowwho) telling me once describing Baji as people who are obsessed with maximum compression and explosion, LOL.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to have experience in a certain form of MA to offer a sincere critique of how one person moves compared to the other. In this case, person A seems to be focusing on issuing and projecting power whereas person B has a more relaxed, fluid motion but still exhibiting power.
    Yet I still feel the same about it. I critique the hell outta some youtube, movies, etc.. However it's from "my point of view"; a view that is not educated nor experienced of the style in question.

For me to say that they should have done x instead of y is silly, because I have no idea about the alphabet being used whatsoever.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Blog Entries
    You want both but again, would you rather have a sloppy form that was fast and powerful or an accurate form with no power?
    I have taken about 8 single moves out of the Baji forms and make it into drills. This way, I can train those "Baji power generation drills" along with my "Mantis speed generation drills" and "Longfist kick punch combo drills". This way, I don't have to think about style vs. style.

this isnt some newbie that just got to china. that would be understandable.
    this guy been training in china for ten years. ten fukin years.

compare
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol32e...eature=related
    and this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIrdYR3Z6zc

this guy act like a mamas boy on chiense tv, then does a complete 360 talking sh1t about people in xian, saying theyre afraid of him, jealous of him, how he will infiltrate them and make them think hes one of them. this is more than disrespect. this is treachery. this is unforgivable.

im taking break from this forum. thanks for reminding me to train hard so i dont end up looking like you. fukin disgrace.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-16-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC