Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here ever eat dog?

I don't know how much of the protest is just spouting propaganda from offense in some attempt to ridicule Chinese people.

Ricky Gervais and Paris Hilton tweets are everywhere.

I bet they've never been and have never documented this event. The whole campaign here in the west seems like poorly veiled racism to me. As in "Look at all the backwards Chinese eating dogs, those savages" etc etc.

I think people have lost a sense of plurality or relativism in cultural practices. Their bigotry knows no bounds. What is the difference between killing an animal and eating it and killing another animal and eating it? Nothing. You're still killing animals and eating them.

dog lovers... well, I don't think people are "dog lovers". Mostly, they're just bigots who like to think themselves superior because of their sanitized lifestyle.

Oh, and I don't think there is such a thing as a humane killing when it comes to eating. When it is a suffering en of life situation, that is the only time a killing is humane. The rest of the time, it's self interest.

Just saying.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't know how much of the protest is just spouting propaganda from offense in some attempt to ridicule Chinese people.

Ricky Gervais and Paris Hilton tweets are everywhere.

I bet they've never been and have never documented this event. The whole campaign here in the west seems like poorly veiled racism to me. As in "Look at all the backwards Chinese eating dogs, those savages" etc etc.

I think people have lost a sense of plurality or relativism in cultural practices. Their bigotry knows no bounds. What is the difference between killing an animal and eating it and killing another animal and eating it? Nothing. You're still killing animals and eating them.

dog lovers... well, I don't think people are "dog lovers". Mostly, they're just bigots who like to think themselves superior because of their sanitized lifestyle.

Oh, and I don't think there is such a thing as a humane killing when it comes to eating. When it is a suffering en of life situation, that is the only time a killing is humane. The rest of the time, it's self interest.

Just saying.
    All that to champion a disgusting practice that revIles people and try to hide it behind a really ***goty diatribe about racism? Give me a break pffft!

Name:  11393158_10152935869756700_2077593722813386203_n.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  32.8 KB
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    All that to champion a disgusting practice that revIles people and try to hide it behind a really ***goty diatribe about racism? Give me a break pffft!

Name:  11393158_10152935869756700_2077593722813386203_n.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  32.8 KB
    Do you eat meat?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I eat everything.

Anyone who looks down their nose at dog or cat but gobbles down cow, chicken, fish etc is nothing but a hypocrite that should be called such.

Food is food.

Animals are not people and even though they might be cute. If I am hungry I will eat them and not blink an eye.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

Quote Originally Posted by Mor Sao View Post
    I eat everything.

Anyone who looks down their nose at dog or cat but gobbles down cow, chicken, fish etc is nothing but a hypocrite that should be called such.

Food is food.

Animals are not people and even though they might be cute. If I am hungry I will eat them and not blink an eye.
    Indeed. This is the point I was getting at.
    We cannot judge one culture based on our standards.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

dogs and cats are carnivores so eating them give u neutral karma. they are also bad people from previous life so ur carrying out ddharma. pig and cows never hurt living animals so eating them give u negative karma

that china dog festival village must be close to teleporting to another dimension wit the karma they collecting
    Last edited by bawang; 06-19-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Eating dog in Vietnam is still common
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

400 surviving dogs

Strange how the number 400 comes up twice here.

Shanghai shelter struggles to help dogs rescued from Yulin festival
    Staff Reporter 2015-09-01 09:12 (GMT+8)

A stand selling dog meat at last year's Lychee and Dog Meat Festival in Yulin, June 21, 2014. (File photo/Xinhua)

Animal rights activists may count a qualified victory in managing to save dogs from slaughter at the annual dog meat festival in southern China by buying them on site, but the escape of the "Yulin dogs" to a shelter in Shanghai has not guaranteed their survival, reports the Chinese-language Reference News.

The controversial Lychee and Dog Meat Festival, held annually in late June in South China's Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, has begun in recent years to draw international attention and criticism as an estimated 10,000 dogs are slaughtered for food during the event. This year, one animal protection shelter in Shanghai that has been sheltering "Yulin dogs" saw the arrival of nearly 1,400 dogs otherwise destined for slaughter that had been purchased by well-meaning activists.

The dogs were shipped on a 35-hour journey before arriving at the shelter and joining the 400 dogs rescued from last year's festival, according to Hong Kong's Sing Pao.

Life at the shelter is rough for the animals, however, Reference News reported, and one of the shelter's volunteers says dogs have been dying every day since their arrival. The shelter speculates that the confined conditions of the journey from Yulin enabled the easy spread of canine distemper, one of the leading causes of death among canines.

Some dogs were already dead by the time they arrived, crushed in the tight confines, said one of the volunteers. "A considerable number were killed by distemper...and some have managed to find homes," another added.

After a little over two months since the new arrivals, only 400 dogs remain at the shelter, the report said.

When the issue was at the forefront of the nation's attention in July, the shelter was showered in funds and aid with dozens of volunteers, veterinarians and food coming in from all over the country, said Chang Fan, one of the shelter's volunteers. Now that the attention has died down, however, the shelter has only three regular volunteers and struggles to make ends meet from donations. The dogs' future thus still remains unclear despite their rescue, the report said.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    We cannot judge one culture based on our standards.
    Very true.

There is evidence that some animals commonly accepted as food sources are as smart as dogs...in particular, pet pigs. It's said that pigs can be smarter, and more "empathetic" than dogs, and even chimps. Yet no one in the U.S. (except maybe vegans) ever *****es about people killing pigs and eating bacon, ham, or pork chops.

I personally don't eat beef, pork, and I wouldn't eat dog, but I do eat poultry. And I wouldn't pass judgment on someone who eats those things. People get really self-righteous about dogs, yet don't consider that in some places, like India (or certain places within India) people wouldn't even consider killing a cow.

This thread made me bail out the forum. I admit, I was offended. I understand cultural differences, etc. Still, I had issues.

Goats and Sheep were probably the first domesticated animals. Primarily for food. Cats and dogs later, almost universally not as food. But for their protection and attributes when it came to other things that assisted our survival. Essentially we helped each others species stay alive and potentially thrive. That said, all areas probably had to eat them at one time or another.

That is all I have to say on this subject. Enjoy your meat.

more on the Yulin dogs

Survival of Rescued 'Yulin Dogs' in Question
    Vanna Emia | Sep 02, 2015 09:25 PM EDT

Of the 1,400 dogs rescued from the clutches of the Lychee and Dog Meat Festival, only 400 dogs remain at the shelter. (Photo : Reuters)

Animal rights activists from China and other parts of the globe rejoiced when a great number of K9s were rescued from slaughter for the annual Yulin Dog Meat Festival. However, it seems as if the “Yulin dogs” are up for another trial in their lives.

The dogs were purchased by well-meaning activists to save them from mass slaughter and consumption.

According to a report made by Chinese-language Reference News, the survival of the "Yulin dogs" in a Shanghai shelter is not guaranteed. One volunteer said that life is rough for the dogs, and quite a number have already died since their arrival.

For their part, the shelter speculates that the confined conditions the dogs endured during their 35-hour journey from Yulin to Shanghai may have allowed the easy spread of canine distemper, a leading cause of death for canines.

"A considerable number were killed by distemper . . . and some have managed to find homes," said one volunteer.

Another individual added that some dogs were already dead when they arrived in the shelter.

The shelter was flooded with donations in kind when the issue of the dog meat festival came to the attention of most Chinese people back in July. Many also turned up to volunteer, including veterinarians.

However, as the media frenzy surrounding the controversial festival has died down, the shelter is now manned by only three regular volunteers who struggle with limited resources, mostly from donations.

Of the 1,400 dogs rescued from the clutches of the Lychee and Dog Meat Festival, only 400 dogs remain at the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    This thread made me bail out the forum. I admit, I was offended.
    srsly? of all the offensive threads here, this was the one?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't offend easily. Most of the stuff you guys go on about is pretty weak in my opinion. But, I love cats and dogs. What can I say? I'm a softy.

Not to offend bb anymore but...

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    But, I love cats and dogs.
    All the more reason you should know what's up with this, bb. I love cats and dogs too. I have eaten dog a long time ago in China, the folly of my youth. I don't eat land meat anymore at all.

That being said, maybe you should just block this thread if it offends you, bb. I don't have that luxury, but you do.

This one has some particularly harsh imagery for dog lovers.

Woman stabs herself in leg after animal activists block truck carrying 200 dogs

A dramatic scene ensued at a highway toll station in Xi'an yesterday morning when a group of animal protection activists stopped a truck carrying over 200 dogs, prompting the driver's wife to stab herself in the thigh in protest.

The truck was blocked by more than 60 volunteers from the Xi'an Small Animal Protection Association, who called in officials from the Yanta District Quarantine Station for Animals, according to CCTV News.

When the truck driver failed to produce a government-issued sanitation certificate to transport the dogs, the officials demanded to have the animals temporarily detained.

As the roadside confrontation escalated, the driver's wife became emotional, took out a kitchen knife and stabbed herself in the leg.

Police arrived at the scene along with an ambulance and the woman was taken to the hospital with her husband.

The dogs were transferred to a shelter belonging to the association after animal quarantine officials confirmed that they had been illegally transported.

Officials have tightened the regulation of shipments of dogs being sold to restaurants and festivals such as the mass summer gathering in Yulin following expert warnings that the long-distance transport of strays can spread diseases.

“We are just delivering the goods, we’ve been blocked here since 2:00 a.m. and they kept calling us dog rustlers, it’s unbearable," the driver said.

In other animal activist news, a volunteer group in Shenyang, Liaoning has accused a middle-aged woman of cheating residents out of money meant for a sick dog she'd been "parading around the streets".

The stray had reportedly been disfigured by acid months ago and adopted by the woman.

"The dog's eyelids were so severely mutilated that it can't even close its eyes. It has been five months since this fraud adopted the dog, and she has done nothing to treat it," one activist said in a Global Times report.

"We wanted to take the dog away, but [its adopter] refused and threatened us by biting her own wrist," another volunteer said.

No animal-welfare laws currently exist in China, but this hasn't stopped homegrown activists across the country from taking action.

Dozens of pet lovers showed up at the annual Yulin Dog Meat Festival in Guangxi this past summer to purchase dogs doomed to be slaughtered and eaten. Last year, activists in Wuhan blocked off a truck carrying over 2,800 cats headed to Guangxi to be sold for meat.

[Images via CCTV // Sina]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This thread is getting harsh

Sorry bb. Hope you've bailed out of following this thread by now.

Pair detained for poisoning dogs to sell for meat in Shanghai

Two men suspected of poisoning dogs then selling the meat to restaurants were arrested in Shanghai's Songjiang district
    The suspects, Li and Zhou, killed the dogs using poison darts and bones tainted with cyanide, Shanghai Daily reports.
    According to police, they drove through the streets and threw the cyanide-laced bones at the dogs. Once the animal chewed on the bone, it would fall over dead and the men would pack it up in their van. It's believed that they used this method to kill at least five dogs from June to early July, selling some of the carcasses to markets for meat.
    The pair also used a crossbow and poison darts to kill six dogs in late July. It's unclear whether the animals poisoned were strays or pets.
    Li and Zhou now face charges of selling toxic food, although there are no reports of people becoming ill from eating the meat.
    Sadly, such cases have been seen before. In December, it was reported that dog thieves in Hebei province killed up to eight dogs a day roaming the streets armed with poisoned darts. Months before, 17 men in Zhejiang pled guilty to trading in tons of toxic dog meat that ended up being sold to restaurants and eaten.
    While animal protection laws may not exist in China, dog-nappers can still face legal trouble if they are found to have distributed potentially poisoned meat. Still, some choose to hand down punishment in their own way. In an infamous case from Guilin last April, two men caught stealing dogs to sell for meat were brutally beaten by a mob of villagers.
    [Image via]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Sorry bb. Hope you've bailed out of following this thread by now.
    No need to apologize Bossman. It is what it is. I get it.