Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Sets Wing Chun Kicking Appart From Other Systems

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I am curious about what some might say.
    The key difference is people ask these sort of questions about it. Other than that, nothing.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    The key difference is people ask these sort of questions about it. Other than that, nothing.
    I agree, all martial arts systems at their pinnacle are virtually the same. Be as efficient as possible while defending and/or attacking. That's it. Everything is subjective.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Be as efficient as possible.
    In the longfist system, there are all kind of kicks. The day that I saw that

- TKD's side kick training is better than the longfist side kick training, I switch my longfist side kick to the TKD side kick.
    - MT's roundhouse kick training is better than the longfist roundhouse kick training, I switch my longfist roundhouse kick to the MT roundhouse kick.

I'll never allow my style to put any restriction on my personal skill development.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I don't want to presume to know your body or situation, but I think that TKD does a pretty good job of getting you to where you can do those kicks. Even McDojo's seem to do a good job of teaching the training and technique necessary to do the kicks. Had you gone through the training perhaps you could do those kicks?

Very true. No matter what you do... I think that it all will come back to those core WC kicks.
    I was talking with a degree TKD college professor some years back and he mentioned the same thing about slowing down on the high kicks even though he was still instructing his students in their use. His father had been a pro boxer. I'm 59 now and I gave up practicing leaping rolls off of cement at the age of 47, some things you have to retire for health purposes as you age.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    the kicks are far more controlled and deliberate. With a front heel kick and a side kick that does not exceed the waist is basic.

The high kicks I have seen are best done for TV or the movies because when you kick like that you give away your stability, lose some of the real power, and place yourself in grave danger of being trapped or taken down.

With WC or Jiujitsu you only kick when you can not miss, and in most cases you are able to put full power behind the kick, and usually at a target that is susceptable to pain or injury, and in most cases can be easily recovered while maintaining your guard.

These kicks are scientifically and common sense based.
    I agree.......
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

The Wing Chun "Tiger Tail Kick" has six kicking methods hidden in one technique.

The "Throat Locker Kick" is a high kick that can be applied during Chi Sau, although it does take a lot of practice to pull off.

Wing Chun has some really awesome kicks.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

It has been a long time since I practiced WC...I'm going to sound like a clumsy newbie by asking this, but what was the difference between a chung gerk and a jing gerk again? The application, at least for me, was just that of a front kick, for both of them...

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    The Wing Chun "Tiger Tail Kick" has six kicking methods hidden in one technique.
    I remeber a "fu gerk" that was basically a side kick thrown in a side stance, I think. Is that what you're referring to?