Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Sets Wing Chun Kicking Appart From Other Systems

What Sets Wing Chun Kicking Apart From Other Systems

I am curious about what some might say.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-15-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I am curious about what some might say.
    I can not speak of any other systems except Wing Chun and Japanese Jiujitsu, but in either case, the kicks are far more controlled and deliberate. With a front heel kick and a side kick that does not exceed the waist is basic. I have incorporated other types of kick, but have pretty much kept the basic concepts intact. You can kick without getting trapped in either kick, put a great deal of power behind either one, and can do it repeatedly. The high kicks I have seen are best done for TV or the movies because when you kick like that you give away your stability, lose some of the real power, and place yourself in grave danger of being trapped or taken down. With WC or Jiujitsu you only kick when you can not miss, and in most cases you are able to put full power behind the kick, and usually at a target that is susceptable to pain or injury, and in most cases can be easily recovered while maintaining your guard. These kicks are scientifically and common sense based. I am sure that there will be other forms of gung fu that have kicks that are basically the same, but have absolutely no idea which ones that would be.
    Jackie Lee

What Sets Wing Chun Kicking Appart From Other Systems

for the most part and with majority of lineages, kicks are no higher than the waist level ... just one of the many differences.

WC kicks when trained properly can be extremely powerful. The whole body is connected behind them very much like the punch. Back when I was at the school full time we used to train the legs extensively. Some guys were fanatics! It's one of those things you can't just train part time to become decent at. How are they unique? You know what it feels like when someone has a really good structure and you just can't move them. A good WC kick is just as solid. Almost impossible to block.

Just for fun, here's a video of Danny Chan, hands down fong sifu's best student, doing a kicking demo of just kicks in general. Not WC kicks so please don't point out the obvious! It's funny though, so enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePTQR...e_gdata_player

That is a fun video of Danny Chan kicking. Among Danny's achievements - he could/can throw all kinds of kicks even to the back of the head and neck from a wing chun structure rather than a
    tkd ball of the foot pivot.

BTW- Ip Man when he was younger had superb kicking ability. Ip Ching's book on his father describes an incident where a pickpocket tried to lift a pen from IM's pocket when he had bent over to pick up a newspaper from a stack on the floor of a restaurant. With a straight back kick
    IM sent the startled thief flying backward.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    WC kicks when trained properly can be extremely powerful. The whole body is connected behind them very much like the punch. Back when I was at the school full time we used to train the legs extensively. Some guys were fanatics! It's one of those things you can't just train part time to become decent at. How are they unique? You know what it feels like when someone has a really good structure and you just can't move them. A good WC kick is just as solid. Almost impossible to block.

Just for fun, here's a video of Danny Chan, hands down fong sifu's best student, doing a kicking demo of just kicks in general. Not WC kicks so please don't point out the obvious! It's funny though, so enjoy!

Nice kicking skills,

But turning your back to your opponent is never good WC structure or strategy.

Good stuff and nice and smooth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I can not speak of any other systems except Wing Chun and Japanese Jiujitsu, but in either case, the kicks are far more controlled and deliberate. With a front heel kick and a side kick that does not exceed the waist is basic. I have incorporated other types of kick, but have pretty much kept the basic concepts intact. You can kick without getting trapped in either kick, put a great deal of power behind either one, and can do it repeatedly. The high kicks I have seen are best done for TV or the movies because when you kick like that you give away your stability, lose some of the real power, and place yourself in grave danger of being trapped or taken down. With WC or Jiujitsu you only kick when you can not miss, and in most cases you are able to put full power behind the kick, and usually at a target that is susceptable to pain or injury, and in most cases can be easily recovered while maintaining your guard. These kicks are scientifically and common sense based. I am sure that there will be other forms of gung fu that have kicks that are basically the same, but have absolutely no idea which ones that would be.
    I think that we share a similar interpretation. I use a lot of other kicks because it suites me but they aren't pure WC whatever that is. Usually when I teach, I show a seriies of Classical kicks which are mostly stomps, front thrusts (with the foot turning various directions appropriate to the target). Granted there are others, but I see these kicks as being classical WC specialties.

Blog Entries
    Why do you guys think that kicking should have any "Style boundary"? There are only a small set of kicking (~ 20) that human body can perform. It doesn't matter what style that you train, you can always learn all the kicks if you want.

It's you that's important and not your style. Why should you care whether it's pure WC or not?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-15-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Why do you guys think that kicking should have any "Style boundary"? There are only a small set of kicking (~ 20) that human body can perform. It doesn't matter what style that you train, you can always learn all the kicks if you want.

It's you that's important and not your style. Why should you care whether it's pure WC or not?
    Of course we learn them all. There is just a core of things that get emphasized. I am not a purist at all. It's just discussion for me. I am not one of these, "that's not authentic guys."

A few kicking sequences and applications in amongst this.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

What Sets Ving Tsun Kicking Apart From Other Systems ?

The kicks don't disrupt our facing ideas, distance,axis balance, etc...iow we can keep a straight line and kick even if we cant reach with a punch.
    We can also counter with mid section or knee kicks as we angle off the line of force aka bull fighting kicks , timing & distance is everything.
    I have used the VT kicks in a few fights, the force direction lifts guys off their feet and sends them flying, sometimes impacting on walls behind them for a 'double whammy' effect.
    Same if you hit a guy solid with a vt punch, if his heads near a wall, it bounces off with the equal impact force. Like hitting them twice with one kick or punch from the front then the wall from behind. Solid immovable objects can be your friends too.

Little sweeps , groin stomps if guys go down with legs up in the air, stop kicks, combined front & side kicks, sweeps and stomps...all low line and alternatives to loss of hand distances

What shoes you wear can alter your delivery unless you train in heavy boots/brogues to get used to the weight. The weight can make your toes plantar flex [point away from the shin] so you kick with toes of shoes not heels. But you learn to chamber the toes to dorsi flex up [ point towards the shin ] with boots/shoes, so you 'stamp' them forwards. I learned this kicking guys in bar fights, a toe kick still bends them over in pain, but theres no force transmission like a heel....

I also use 'whatever' it takes, low punt kicks to heads if they try to get up to keep fighting, low thai kicks to allow for angles and motion that only allow that kick in that moment of available target...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 07-15-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Here's another fun one of Danny Chan. Half way through fong sifu comes to the rescue! Check it out! This was back in 1979

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PoiO...e_gdata_player

Here's another fun one of Danny Chan. Half way through fong sifu comes to the rescue! Check it out! This was back in 1979

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PoiO...e_gdata_player
    reminds me of bar fights I have really been in, chaos wish A Fong sifu had shown up too !

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

There are lots of kicks for sure, but not all of them are safe to use or within the ability of all to do. Personally, I can not do most of the kicks we see in karate and gung fu. I simply do not have the hip structure for it. I can do the WC kicks quite easily though, so I am thinking that this might be the reason WC evolved to use these kicks rather than the other ones. Any time you kick above your waist you run a risk of being trapped. You will definately surrender some stability and balance. These factors alone are enough for me. I can do more damage with a kick I can do well, as compared to a kick that I cannot do well. Low kicks are tough to deal with. They usually connect and usually cause pain or injury, and they are real hard to dodge or block. They can be used to draw your opponents defense down so that you can apply your hand weapons more efficiently and with less danger to yourself.
    I guess a person could learn all sorts of kicks, and if they are easy and do not offer danger to yourself, they might also be very beneficial. I have learned a few different kicks that I can do, but they sort of maintain the basics I subscribe to with my regular WC kicks. The kicks are not really different as such, just applied a bit differently.
    It is likely best for one to learn the kicks that he can easily and safely do, and practice these until they can be done extremely well. You will never have to use every kick or punch you have, as it is quite likely the first one or two will do the job if you have them trained real well.
    Jackie Lee