Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A simple guideline might help...

A simple guideline might help...

KC here, metamorphasized into a beautiful butterfly. Or is that metastasized?

Anyway, my intent on leaving wasn't that this place or its members were, overall, a problem, it just did not have much of interest to me once it descended into ad hominem attacks. Especially because people seem to equate them with debate, when real debate considers them fallacious.

Since some changes have been made, I want to show my support to the staff. I have a number of projects for the foreseen future, so my time on still might be rare, but who knows, I might kill some hours here and there.

Anyway, I think a good way to work this is specifically targeting only people whose entire posting style largely depends on ad hominem attacks. Having a thick skin is all nice and good, but hanging out somewhere where it is constant ad hominem attacks is a moron's hobby, and we all know it.

Claims that this is not the real world, that forums are somehow an exempt zone from human conduct, is a terribly weak argument, largely held by geeks who started using the net in the late nineties. Only teenagers and posers would ever behave caustically on Facebook, usually by not having their families friended, so they can pretend they're gangsta. As soon as your family or coworkers and employers are involved in an online activity, you of course never dare behave this way, which means while here, you're being cowardly and immature. Its no one's responsibility to protect your ability to get away with childishness, and has nothing to do with freedom of speech. If you told Mrs. Franklin her stew tasted like shiiit at the dinner table, Benjamin Franklin would stuff your privates up your disembodied head and impregnate your mother with a better son, and he knew something about freedom of speech.

Disagreements and arguments can actually exist, and lead to more valid conclusions, when they do not have as a basis things like ad hominem attacks.

This way, guidelines are clear AND flexible. It is the dependance on ad hominems that would be targeted, not the viewpoint or point argued.

If you don't accept this, it is because you are obviously furries.
    Last edited by Taixuquan99; 07-18-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Personally I like this simple guideline:
    You are responsible for your own conduct and communications while using the Service and for any consequences of that use. You may only use the Service to send and receive messages and material that are legal, proper and related to the particular Group. For example, when using the Service, you will not:

defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
    post any inappropriate, defamatory, infringing, obscene, illegal or unlawful Content;
    post any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, database right, trade secret or other proprietary right of any party (the "Rights"), unless you are the owner of the Rights or have the permission of the owner to Post such Content;
    post messages that promote pyramid schemes, chain letters or disruptive commercial messages or advertisements, or anything else prohibited by the Group owner.
    download any file Posted by another user of a Group that you know or reasonably should know, that cannot be legally distributed in such manner;
    impersonate another person or entity, or falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is Posted;
    restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Service;
    use the Service for any illegal or unauthorised purpose;
    remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the Service;
    interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Service;
    use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other device to retrieve or index any portion of the Service or collect information about users for any unauthorised purpose;
    submit Content that falsely expresses or implies that such Content is sponsored or endorsed by InteSoft;
    create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretences;
    promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities or promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual; or
    transmit any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, or any items of a destructive nature.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That's good, but it lacks the zing of Ben Franklin spreading his Founding Seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    That's good, but it lacks the zing of Ben Franklin spreading his Founding Seed.
    Well, we can always sacrifice a virgin, just to add some ZING to it !

I've always had a firm stand against virginity.

I have two sacks filled with founding seed if anyone wants to supply the virgin to zing.

Eyes are on!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

For the record, Gene Ching has always been far too sly. Best watch him closely, wheels within wheels and all.

I blame Obama for the lack of virgins to sacrifice.

Ballsack vagina !!

The distinction between smack talk and genuine offense

The biggest challenge for me is making distinctions between real offense and just talkn' smack. I love to talk a little smack now and again, and I know a lot of you do to. Perhaps that's a martial thing. It's a way martial artists, or any athletes for that matter, show affection. Unfortunately, smack talk is usually face-to-face, and many forum members simply aren't very talented as writers, so it's often hard to distinguish between sarcasm and real attacks.

That being said, I'm not going to get overly bogged down in all the rules. I'm just going to be judge, jury and executioner. Frankly, the forum is a huge time suck as it is. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy it - but if I've got to go through some sort of court system to ban people, I might as well just turn the forum off.

If you think something you are going to post might cross the line, don't post it. If you think we're being unfair, go to that fair forum on the web. If you get banned, don't ***** at me because that sure as hell isn't going to get you unbanned. I unban people too, but not ones who think an attack will get them reinstated back will. That just doesn't make any sense at all. But then again, what do you expect from trolls?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

^^^^^^
    Total furry.

See? I'd call that smack talk.

Feel my Fist of Furry
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

like in a big rabbit suit and getting into frottage?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'd recommend that thread be stickied, but if it involves MK and the internet, it already has been.

I'm flaming you all with flames a mighty when I...

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

now where are those virgins?