Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: choosing a kwoon

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    when you are looking to continue kung fu and you find two schools with similar rates, sifus are equal quality, and you don't really have a style preference, what are some other factors you can or should base your decisions on? thanks in advance.
    Look for the one with the biggest ad in the yellow pages, neon signs and those cool shiny uniforms! The sign should read karate, Kung Fu, kickboxing and MMA.

They should have their own octagon as well
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

I'd say, "Are you out of your freakin mind? Why the hell would I teach someone like you?"
    by TenTigers

This is absolute valid. No matter who thrashes who. Using challenge as a way to join a kwoon is definitely unacceptable. Having the prospective student to demonstrate his skill level or current students of the kwoon to demonstrate their techniques and training method without body contact with the prospective student is a good and wise way in order to decide whether the kwoon is right for him.

KC
    Hong Kong

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    to add to that, I never really understood why any teacher would let a stranger just walk in and spar. (any person coming in with that attitude, makes me suspect of their psychological make-up.) You don't know this person. He doesn't know you or your students, and may not have control, or even want to use it. No self-respecting Sifu would ever use their own students as fodder. No matter how good or tough they thought they were. That's just downright stupid.
    I know of one school who brags that their Black Belts entered point tournaments and deliberately blasted their opponents in the face, causing injury and getting disqualified. They now claim that the tournament promoters are "afraid" of them and won't let them compete-because they're too good. Yep-that's their claim to fame.
    There are plenty of sociopaths who train Martial Arts, as much as we hate to admit.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    maaaaan, are you still having trouble deciding? didnt you first post about it over a year ago?
    hes a kung fu window shopper

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    to add to that, I never really understood why any teacher would let a stranger just walk in and spar. (any person coming in with that attitude, makes me suspect of their psychological make-up.) You don't know this person. He doesn't know you or your students, and may not have control, or even want to use it. No self-respecting Sifu would ever use their own students as fodder. No matter how good or tough they thought they were. That's just downright stupid.
    I know of one school who brags that their Black Belts entered point tournaments and deliberately blasted their opponents in the face, causing injury and getting disqualified. They now claim that the tournament promoters are "afraid" of them and won't let them compete-because they're too good. Yep-that's their claim to fame.
    There are plenty of sociopaths who train Martial Arts, as much as we hate to admit.
    I agree tentigers there are a lot of sociopaths who train martial arts and some of them are even on this forum. I couldn't imagine from some of the stuff they post on here what kind of losers/crazies they must be in person. Having someone come in and spar off the street is dumb simply from the legal standpoint, let alone the possibility of injuries to students and possible new recruits. The fact to me that some people on here will waste their time with hundreds of posts and not even once add anything of a contribution to chats makes me wonder how they spend their time on their respectable system(s) and how they represent themselves in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

There is an instructor both you and I know who loves to have his students go hard in point but the ONE TIME they did anything full contact got crushed. Funny how they never again did any full contact events
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....