Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The risk of the TCMA hammer fist

Blog Entries

The risk of the TCMA hammer fist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY1Hi...eature=related

At 1.38, when you use right "hammer fist" on your opponent's left arm, your opponent can borrow your force and sping his left arm into a hook punch at your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOD_MuvzcwY&NR=1

IMO, this will never work in combat speed. The reason is the hammer fist has to travel much longer path than a jab. If your hammer fist can hit on your opponent's arm when he applies a straight punch, you must be much faster than him. If you are much faster than your opponent then anything will work.

There is a good reason that "hammer fist" is not commonly used in the western boxing. It's just too slow to be combat realistic. What's your opinion on the "hammer fist"?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-21-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Hmmm it's a terrible opening move in my opinion, but as something of a finisher it has the potential to be very strong, I think.

At the same time a normal hook is faster and just as strong most of the time I believe.

So this technique is not the most optimal.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

You have to absorb the incomming force and begin to redirect first, then crack them with the hammer fist as part of the set up for the next move.

The hammer fist is not stopping the jab. The other hand is. The hammer fist is neutralizing the next move before it can be started.

In the Yuan Gung Quan - application, the attackers punch is stopped at the :05 second mark by a quick raising of the elbow.

He's going in slow motion so we can see.

By the :07 mark, the same arm is now both clearing the first attack, and covering for the attackers second blow.

At the :12 second mark, the first arm (using the elbow) is now trapping the attackers original punch (assuming he caught it), and is now pulling it to his body as he uses his other forearm to jack the attacker's shoulder. The resulting shock has the potential to damage the elbow. If not, it will take a beat from the attacker so the defender can position for his counter attack.

:14 seconds , the defender's left arm comes in, covers against the likely third attack from the attacker, and sets the position needed for the take down.

:34 defender takes down the attacker using internal force and foot positioning to up root them.

:36 holds gay theatrical Kung Fu posture for the camera.

those techniques in youtube video doesnt work because its standard slow jab, hold it out, i make a bridge with your forearm bullsh1t. not because of hammerfist
    Last edited by bawang; 02-21-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

It would work either way. infact, at speed it would work better because the attacker would try to fade back as you entered, and thus help you with the take down as you'd have him tripping over your feet on top of everything else.

if u try to make a brdige with the gua chui you get taken down in 2 seconds

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You don't need to make the bridge. Just lift the elbow to shield from the first attack and charge in full bore. As soon as your legs get under them, they are toast. The rest is just gravy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    By the :07 mark,
    At the :07 mark, the guy used right hammer fist as he described in Chinese. I don't think he would be fast enough to do that against a fast jab.

One of my friends has a lot of confidence in his hammer fist. Oneday I challenged his hammer fist. He liked to use heel kick and hammer fist combo. He delievered a heel kick, I blocked it. Before he could drop his hammer fist on my head, my front toe push kick already hit on his chest. We tested this many times and everytime, my kicks could always be faster than his hammer fist. He is more than 10 years younger than me. He should be able to move faster than me. The reason is my kick did not have to traveled as long path as his hammer fist did.

This is a good example that without proper testing, you may think some moves should work but in reality, it just doesn't.

This is similar footwork, but going faster. The idea is to use your entry to take thier root and balance. The hand work just covers against thier attack and makes them fall over once you already won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoERM...eature=related

it's the foot work that wins it.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    At the :07 mark, the guy used right hammer fist as he described in Chinese. I don't think he would be fast enough to do that against a fast jab.

One of my friends has a lot of confidence in his hammer fist. Oneday I challenged his hammer fist. He liked to use heel kick and hammer fist combo. He delievered a heel kick, I blocked it. Before he could drop his hammer fist on my head, my front toe push kick already hit on his chest. We tested this many times and everytime, my kicks could always be faster than his hammer fist. He is more than 10 years younger than me. He should be able to move faster than me. The reason is my kick did not have to traveled as long path as his hammer fist did.

This is a good example that without proper testing, you may think some moves should work but in reality, it just doesn't.
    Look again, the jab was already neutralized by the rising elbow by then, at the :05 mark. Go slow, one frame at a time if need be.

The Hammer fist seen from :07-:10 is to clear the second attack if it is coming. It's not really a hammer fist. he's just covering that line for anything potentially comming in, like a cross.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 02-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Ther are a lot of good moves in this clip, but there is something missing in that clip. It's like watching a movie without "ending". Does anybody feel the same way as I do?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

Ther are a lot of good moves in this clip, but there is something missing in that clip. It's like watching a movie without "ending". Does anybody feel the same way as I do?
    I think he lets his opponent escape too much. Seems like he's content with just uprooting, but has no follow through. He's not doing anything to incapacitate his attacker or finish him off.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 02-22-2011 at 12:30 AM.

This is a very old pre Sung Dynasty style known as the Six Stance Fist among other things. If I am not mistaken, the Wensengquan is based on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kJ8unUIlgM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I think he lets his opponent escape too much. Seems like he's content with just uprooting, but has no follow through. He's not doing anything to incapacitate his attacker or finish him off.
    Agree 100% there. I prefer this kind of ending instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTR5KU3xwls

or something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJfX9Jinik
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-22-2011 at 12:39 AM.