Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: choosing a kwoon

choosing a kwoon

when you are looking to continue kung fu and you find two schools with similar rates, sifus are equal quality, and you don't really have a style preference, what are some other factors you can or should base your decisions on? thanks in advance.
    Last edited by shaolin_allan; 07-16-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    chemistry. What feel you get from the Sifu, from the students.
    Are these the type of people you will feel comfortable with?
    Remember, you will be in this school for years.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Have an experienced person give you feedback on the quality of the students.

exactly what i was thinking. when you walk through the door, meet the sifu, and see the method or style, you'd know instantly whether or not you want to train there.

we're actually making a thread that's useful with good points! there is hope! lol

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    sifus are equal quality
    How would a prospective beginner student be able to make that determination?

i wasnt starting the thread from a beginner perspective actually ive trained with both sifus.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    How would a prospective beginner student be able to make that determination?
    A beginner can not. A beginner must:
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    A person with no prior MA experience has no idea what Kung Fu is or what a class setting should consist of. They should feel comfortable with the people there. They should have a similar philosophy of the Sifu or atleast agree with the schools overall philosophy. There also ia a kinda vibe with each school, you gotta gel with that or you wont stay long.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    DING DING DING!!!!

Excellent answer!

Bottom line: Do you enjoy what you are getting there after you join and have been there a few months?

Let me reveal a few "secrets" that I have learned after 43 years of training in TCMA and TJMA:

1. Some "Masters" can do, but absofreakinglutely SUCK at teaching. So their students will probably never equal them.
    2. Some of the lamest doers may be inadequate athletically, yet have truly grasped the principles of their art and are wonderful teachers. I know several teachers who fall into this category and their students turned out great.
    3. Regardless of the reputation/lineage of the school, most TKD schools will bury them when it comes to the number of students taught and the financial stability of a school. Shaolin Master Joe Blow who "flies through the air with the greatest of ease" will not be a good choice if he has no business acumen and his school goes belly up in six months, never to reopen.
    4. "Eating bitter" is SOMETIMES a good excuse used by those who have nothing sweet to offer. In the end, if you don't enjoy it, you probably will not stick with it. "Into every life a little rain must fall", but if you feel like you are sinking in the mud caused by a thunderstorm, it may be time to be smart enough to get out of the rain.

Just some thoughts.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

when you are looking to continue kung fu and you find two schools with similar rates, sifus are equal quality, and you don't really have a style preference, what are some other factors you can or should base your decisions on? thanks in advance.
    Go with the one whose teaching style gets the best results from you.

Go with the one whose students demonstrate the higher level of results.

when you are looking to continue kung fu
    Actually, people should consider why they are looking to continue kung fu.

Everybody wants something different. The original question had been about learning, and I had answered assuming the person wanted to learn in order to become good.

Now it is about continuing. So is it about learning? Exercise? Socializing? Improving fighting skills?

Depends on what you want out of it.

Blog Entries
    When you join a new school, the teacher will ask his senior students to spar with you. There are 2 reasons for this. To convince you that there are something worthwhile to learn there, also the teacher wants to check out your potential. From your feeling after sparring with those senior students, it won't be difficult for you to decide which school that you will like to attend.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you join a new school, the teacher will ask his senior students to spar with you. There are 2 reasons for this. To convince you that there are something worthwhile to learn there, also the teacher wants to check out your potential. From your feeling after sparring with those senior students, it won't be difficult for you to decide which school that you will like to attend.
    That's the case only in some scenarios. It's a dangerous game and completely irrelevant for the individual brand new to martial arts.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    That's the case only in some scenarios. It's a dangerous game and completely irrelevant for the individual brand new to martial arts.
    If a new student can beat the senior student, that school will have nothing to offer to that new student. If the senior student can beat the new student, it will give that new student confidence to stay. It also gives that senior student a chance to test his skill against a complete "stranger" (full resisted opponent). It's a win-win situation for everybody.

Other members have made good points. Mine would be the school's training curriculum and method. Take a good look at them, and think hard. These are what to train, and how to acquire the targeted knowledge and skill. Be certain that they fit your bill.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong