Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin diet, vegetarianism and stuff

you guys are out of your dam minds.

when my family could only afford meat once a month, i dreamed of meat. you guys are just bored gluttons.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i love meat. all kinds. birds, cows, fish, dogs, amphibians, reptiles, felines, elk, deer, buffalo, moose...you name it, i'll eat it. except monkey/primates and humans...unless i have to for survival of course. i really dont see whats wrong with it. i have a lot of vegan friends but i just remind them that they continually slaughter my plant friends and oppress them in green houses and structured garden farms. for some reason not that many people look at plants the same way they do animals...its all alive, right? just because you cant hear a plant scream, doesnt mean it should die any more or less than a screaming cow. i guess some people dont kill the plants, but hey it cant feel good to have your arms ripped off either.
    What about all the bacteria and fungus and insects in the soil and on the plant life that vegetarians eat?

Do we create bad karma when we take antibiotics and kill off all the flora in the digestive tract? I don't necessarily know for a fact that bacteria and viruses are not sentient.

Would you jerks kindly go back to the main showboat forum where you belong?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    What about all the bacteria and fungus and insects in the soil and on the plant life that vegetarians eat?

Do we create bad karma when we take antibiotics and kill off all the flora in the digestive tract? I don't necessarily know for a fact that bacteria and viruses are not sentient.
    you know i always wondered that too. for me i just have to treat all life equal or im a hypocrite. i dont see plants any different than animals personally. i like trees just as much as i like rabbits. i love hot human chicks tho and i eat them all the time!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Would you jerks kindly go back to the main showboat forum where you belong?

Thanks.
    omg im a jerk! i have to go cry now. ok you can have your thread back. you must not like people who think differently than you.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    when my family could only afford meat once a month, i dreamed of meat. you guys are just bored gluttons.
    We can't all be upwardly mobile peasants.

omg im a jerk! i have to go cry now. ok you can have your thread back. you must not like people who think differently than you.
    That is correct. I don't like people who think differently than I do.

That is correct. I don't like people who think differently than I do.
    Thats really cool. I'm happy for you!

Thats really cool. I'm happy for you!
    Lucas go away. There are plenty of other threads for you to play romper room in.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    The reason we must use the indian definition- is because that is where the word originates. Karma is defined as a Deed or Action- that the Buddha outlines even thoughts are deeds. To take your definition - a fairly common translated version in Buddhist context-
    Matthew, you are a bit too dogmatic and fundamentalist, not to mention long-winded, to respond to every point you are trying to make. But if you don't even have a basic understanding of the definition of Karma in Buddhism, then I don't think our discussion will be productive until you've studied a bit more on that subject.

Since the Chan school is basically stripped down Yogācāra philosophy, I would suggest reading Vasubandhu's Karma-siddhi-prakaraṇa (Discussion for the Demonstration of Karma).

You'll learn from a Buddhist perspective that Karma, although divided into action of body, speech, and mind, is basically of one type. All such action is led by the intent, the 7th mental consciousness (manas-vijñāna/ 意), whether that manifests through external, visible (bodily), audible (speech), or internal (mind) action. It is all action of the intent.

In order for an action to accrue karmic debt, it must be led by the intent. Otherwise, the consciousness is not involved so how can it accrue such debt? For example, unknowingly stepping on a bug. To believe that will have negative karmic effects requires one to have a Hindu/Jain understanding of Karma as any action whatsoever, because the manas-vijñāna (thought consciousness/karma) is not involved.

This is not just my understanding, or my definition, this is the Buddhist teaching on Karma. I suggest you look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    For example, unknowingly stepping on a bug. To believe that will have negative karmic effects requires one to have a Hindu/Jain understanding of Karma as any action whatsoever, because the manas-vijñāna (thought consciousness/karma) is not involved.
    This answers Wenshu's facetious question, btw.

Lucas go away. There are plenty of other threads for you to play romper room in.
    I'm sorry. I have a disorder. You were right to insult me and call me a name. I will go away now, unless you quote me again. Its a disorder.

This answers Wenshu's facetious question, btw.
    I wasn't being facetious. Your presumptuousness belies your ego. I have been a strict vegetarian for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    In order for an action to accrue karmic debt, it must be led by the intent. Otherwise, the consciousness is not involved so how can it accrue such debt? For example, unknowingly stepping on a bug. To believe that will have negative karmic effects requires one to have a Hindu/Jain understanding of Karma as any action whatsoever, because the manas-vijñāna (thought consciousness/karma) is not involved.
    That is one interpretation.

What sect is it that walks around sweeping in front of themselves with every step to make sure they don't inadvertently step on an insect?