Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin diet, vegetarianism and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Exactly.

In neigong we have a phrase 'Cong HouTian hui dao Xiantian' Or something like that, the meaning is to return to ones 'Prenatal' 'Intrinsic' 'original' nature.

A vast amount of training is required in being able to recognise 先天之炁 'Intrinsic' qi. (note the beauty of the character, Void + Fire, NO fire = Cessation of desire, in the prenatal state we have no knowledge of the world and no misconceptions and no illusion and no desire).

炁 Is different from the other(s). It is mental/conscious in nature. The concept of XianTianQi is not always reconcilable with TCM. In the past there were many doctors but few Neigong masters.

A vast amount of Neigong training is awareness of 炁. Awareness can only become stronger, not weaker.

So, how do you recognize 先天之炁?

is it true on what you say

Zhen Qi can't be drained or stored, at least not in the way that that terminology implies.

The more it is used, the stronger it becomes

In neigong we have a phrase 'Cong HouTian hui dao Xiantian' Or something like that, the meaning is to return to ones 'Prenatal' 'Intrinsic' 'original' nature.

A vast amount of training is required in being able to recognise 先天之炁 'Intrinsic' qi. (note the beauty of the character, Void + Fire, NO fire = Cessation of desire, in the prenatal state we have no knowledge of the world and no misconceptions and no illusion and no desire).
    This speaks directly to the Buddhist concept 炁, as one's "original nature".

Your first point is the ultimate goal of practice in Shaolin, to use Neigong training to return to this "original" nature.

Nothing, but its wrong to confuse its nature.

Nope, not according to the TCM and TCMA neigong standard.

----------------------------
    至宋代之後,道教思想家為了區別先天的氣與後天的氣,採用古字炁來代表先天的氣,代表無極,氣 則被當成是後 天的氣,為太極。這兩個字的意義又被分開。

但是除了道教文獻之外,通常都以氣來概括。

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%B0%A3
    --------------------------------

read the Neigong classic

内功之传,脉络甚真,不知脉络,勉强用之,则无益而有损。

卷一内功篇

学医道者,不可不明乎经络,何况习内功乎?若不明脉络,犹习射而操弓矢,其不能也决矣。能内景遂道,返观而 以察之,则体用兼备矣。

前任后督,行滚滚,井池双穴,发劲循循。纳丹田,冲起命门,引督脉过尾闾,由脊中直上泥丸,下人中龈交 ,追动性元,引任脉降重楼,而下返

in no where it uses 炁 but 气 as standard.

we are talking Martial art Neigong here. isnt it we need to follow the Neigong classic ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik
    What's wrong to call it 先天元气 instead of 先天之炁 without using the character 炁?
    Nothing, but its wrong to confuse its nature.
    Confusing or even forgetting it's nature.

Hendrik, is the Buddhist concept of 炁 vs 气 now clear to you? If so, you will see what's "wrong" with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    This speaks directly to the Buddhist concept 炁, as one's "original nature".

Your first point is the ultimate goal of practice in Shaolin, to use Neigong training to return to this "original" nature.

Come on, I expect you to be better in making up BS.

Confusing or even forgetting it's nature.

Hendrik, is the Buddhist concept of 炁 vs 气 now clear to you? If so, you will see what's "wrong" with it.

Sure sure, Buddhist concept of 炁 vs 气, Get real.

come on, translate this

http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/show...6&postcount=26

and let the world see what is what.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    So, how do you recognize 先天之炁?

is it true on what you say
    It is true for Intrinsic Qi. The transmuted Qi is a another stage, and doesn't exist in every sect and I don't know about this.

The recognition is the goal of much of the Zhanzhuang training and months of meditation.

It is to listen to your body, to tame the tiger and subdue the dragon. I'm sorry i can't say much more.

Unfortunately there is no standard neigong. And much of what is written on it was written by people with skill in writing not in neigong. Its not reconcilable with TCM.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 07-18-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Come on, I expect you to be better in making up BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik
    Sure sure, Buddhist concept of 炁 vs 气, Get real.
    Okay, if you like to read Chinese articles, have a look at it here:
    http://baike.baidu.com/view/1615601.htm

“先天炁”在诸家修炼经典中的不同称谓:
    Different names for "先天炁" (Intrinsic Qi) in various classics of different philosophical schools:

Note the Buddhist concept (in blue) is a synonym for "Mind", "Buddha Nature", "Suchness", "Wisdom Root", "Tathāgata", etc..

“先天炁”在诸家修炼经典中称谓众多,常用名词列举如下。
    儒家称谓 (Confucianism)
      心、理气、无极、天良、良知、良能、性、明德、黄中、仁、不易之气、浩然正气。
    释家称谓 (Buddhism)
      心、佛性、真如、慧根、智慧体、金刚不坏身、妙觉、妙明心、舍利子、妙明紫金光、金刚正法眼藏、自在菩 萨、如来、成佛因地、摩尼宝珠。

道家称谓 (Daoism)
      心、先天炁、真阳之炁、真源、紫气、元神、谷神、真常、性命、黄庭、金丹、三寸气、天一真水、黍米玄珠 、大神性中天。
    医家称谓 (TCM)
      精神、真气。
    现代称谓 (Modern)
      生命、心灵、根源、灵魂、感觉思维能源、生命能源,等等。由于历史时期不同,诸家称谓也不相同,但说的 都是人的生命根本。

Okay, if you like to read Chinese articles, have a look at it here:
    http://baike.baidu.com/view/1615601.htm

“先天炁”在诸家修炼经典中的不同称谓:
    Different names for "先天炁" (Intrinsic Qi) in various classics of different philosophical schools:

Note the Buddhist concept (in blue) is a synonym for "Mind", "Buddha Nature", "Suchness", "Wisdom Root", "Tathāgata", etc..
    Thats a great article you posted J. Gonna take me a while to get through it properly. Thanks for the post.

But with what is written just in the first two paragraphs seems to explain the centre of our argument here.

Yes, the section on “炁”与“气”我们如何区别 (How to differentiate 炁 and 气) is really good. It gets into the Buddhist concepts much more deeply.

Speaking of vegetables, does anyone know...

In Chinese contexts, if someone speaks of mustard (or maybe mustard greens?), what food is meant? Is it what's called 小白菜 (xiaobaicai) in Mandarin or Bok Choy in USA? Latin name would be best. Thanks for any clues.

I'm pretty sure they don't mean French's Yellow Mustard.

This is off the Chanwuyi site where they mention what I believe is supposed to be a leafy-green vegetable called mustard. I did som google image searches but couldn't figure out anything definite.

I just want to know what not to eat! Thanks...
    Last edited by rett; 07-19-2011 at 03:07 AM.

It is to listen to your body, to tame the tiger and subdue the dragon. I'm sorry i can't say much more.
    Do you think a valid approach to Neigong is to be more interested in listening and observing (both physical and mental processes) and being less interested in technical manipulation of inner energies? Thie former is the kind of approach that feels more sympathetic to me right now.

I ask because I feel the discussion is hinging on an opposition between the value of awareness & insight vs. the value of striving for a super-body. Kind of typical Buddhists and Daoists at same interfaith conference argument.

小白菜 (xiǎobáicài) is Chinese cabbage. Baak-coi is the Cantonese pronunciation of Baicai.

Mustard Greens (Brassica juncea) in Chinese is 芥菜 (jiècài).

小白菜 (xiǎobáicài) is Chinese cabbage. Baak-coi is the Cantonese pronunciation of Baicai.
    From what I've seen it appears that Baak-coi actually refers to a different plant than what is called baicai in the north. (despite their using the same characters and just having dialectal pron. differences)

Baicai in the North is the dense large heads of cabbage. (I've seen them in the garden and eaten them). Baak-coi as I understand it, are the smaller version with no heads and a large flat leafy part. In the north, these latter are called xiaobaicai.

But I could be wrong about this.

Mustard Greens (Brassica juncea) in Chinese is 芥菜 (jiècài).
    Thank you!!! (I actually intend to try to avoid this vegetable... which shouldn't be too hard)
    Last edited by rett; 07-19-2011 at 03:20 AM.

You're probably right. In Chinese supermarkets here I see 小白菜 written as "Small Bok Choy" in English.

You can look up images of 小白菜 and 大白菜.
    Last edited by LFJ; 07-19-2011 at 03:23 AM.