Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin diet, vegetarianism and stuff

In case anyone goes to jail here!

Seems like Zen Buddhist lineage isn't enough to convince prisons.

I know many believe "Well prisoners can't pick and choose, they had their choice!" - but that would exclude people being held in detention before conviction - and morally dubious crimes or false convictions / detentions.

THE HUMBOLDT COUNTY JAIL MUST HONOR PETITIONER'S REQUEST FOR A RELIGIOUS DIET BASED ON HER SINCERELY HELD RELIGIOUS BELIEF

Therefore, the Humboldt County jail should have to prove that an inmate's veganism is not a sincerely-held religious belief or permit an inmate access to the internet or a religious library to substantiate the claim.

Under well-settled law that the Humboldt County jail is oblivious to, it is unconstitutional for jail functionaries to determine whether a vegan/vegetarian diet is required or preferred by the majority of pagans or Jews or Buddhists or, such Christian sects as the Seventh-day Adventists (see LaFevers v. Saffle, 936 F.2d 1117 (10th Cir. 1991) or Rastafarians (see Oluwa v. Gomez, 133 F.3d 1237, 1239 (9th Cir. 1998) (summary judgment for petitioner is reversed and case remanded to permit prison officials a chance to challenge Oluwa's claim of belonging to the Rastafarian religion and the vegan diet required by that religion) or Hindus or Sikhs or Zen Buddhists (Spies v. Voinovich, 173 F.3d 398 (6th Cir. 1999) (court ignores the above supreme court authority and rules that because the inmate stupidly conceded that a vegan diet was not required by his Zen Buddhist faith, that it was sufficient that the prison provided him a vegetarian diet); but see id. at 407-411, Justice Moore's dissenting opinion, chastising the majority for ignoring the above authority that it is irrelevant whether all the sects of a particular religion requires a particular diet). The sole issue is whether petitioner's belief in a particular diet is a sincerely held religious belief, no matter how unorthodox or fringe. The evidence is undisputed that petitioner's belief is sincere and religious-based, as petitioner's declaration and other evidence proves. The Jail May Not Starve Petitioner While It Tries To Make Her Somehow Prove Her Religious Belief; The Jail Should Provide The Religious Diet Until It Proves The Belief In A Certain Diet Is Insincere Or Not Based On A Religious Belief
    (Bolding my own) I know it's an older article, but points to some nice cases involving plant-based-diet and prison.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I was attacking his background as an argument against his questionable frame of reference on "good / evil" and "compassion".
    Wenshu - I didn't realize you went back and time, stopped supporting meat and dairy industries, and started a blog!

http://vegan-because-****-you.tumblr.com/

No, but really - you wrote all of this didn't you?

My favorite so far is when you put the pictures of the cute animals on the packaging (Maybe you are Wenshu Boddhisattva - using such expedient means!):

Last edited by Matthew; 09-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.

I prefer to have pictures of the animals faces that I am eating provided to me. If at all possible a name would be nice if there was one so I know who to thank for my sustenance.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Calling BS on that

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Maybe you are Wenshu Boddhisattva - using such expedient means!
    I've met wenshu face to face. He's a good man, an earnest practitioner, but not a Bodhisattva.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I challenge you! I'll eat any piece of meat (nothing foul ) with a picture of the animals face on it.

bring me some food and i'll eat it while i comment on how cute the little lamb was that went into my gyro. and then i'll ask you if you made me a sweater out of its wool.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Would an instagram snap do?

Honestly, a photo of the animal on the platter is just a weak American gesture. In China, the head is left on most of the animals. That's so you know exactly what you're eating. And the head can be good eating. Nothing like duck head. I enjoyed immensely that back when I when I was eating duck.

I remember watching a chicken bleed out with some young boys at Shaolin village. The chicken was plucked, gutted, boiled, chopped and served with rice. Boniest friggin chicken I ever ate - not a factory-farmed GMO chicken. That was in the country. Those tiny scrapes of meat that could be sucked off the bones were so tasty.

Ah yes, I could tell ya stories of my carnivorous daze - meat-eatin glory daze....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There are folks out there who can seamlessly sew a chicken head on a rat carcass.

Just to appease the forum god gene, the next meat product I eat i will pull up a picture of that animal on my phone and look at it while i eat his brother/sister and say 'thanks bro, your family tastes great'

I'm trying to visualize a chicken head on a rat body.

Wouldn't the tail give it away?

I got a better idea for ya next time, Lucas. Tape a photo of me yelling "Foul! Fowl!" on your nuggets.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Calgary. Really?

well i had this really good spicy egg sandwich today. it had egg, spinach, bacon, tomato, onions, cheddar cheese on a ciabatta bread with some spicy sauce stuff.

so I looked at:

and for the bacon i looked at:

for my plant friends:

it was fukcing delicious, and i was very thankful

Do people ever listen to you when you ask to post gathering pics ;)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I've met wenshu face to face. He's a good man, an earnest practitioner, but not a Bodhisattva.
    Why so serious

No but really I would enjoy meeting most everyone on the forum, including Wenshu.

That being said I come here to poke and prod people - so I do have a job to do!

I did post a pic.

I always post pics. We met at the Shaolin Summit. Unfortunately, the pic was posted on our facebook album, and during one of those notorius facebook updates, they shifted all the urls for photos so the links were severed (which is why the post above is blank).

But just for you, my veg Shaolin brother Matthew, I dug through our facebook album and found that pic again.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I am overcome with sorrow, I had so much more hair back then.

Me too

Maybe it's the vegetarian diet that is making our hair fall out.

Maybe we are evolving into monks in this lifetime.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips