Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin diet, vegetarianism and stuff

the hair doesnt leave...it just moves south...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Maybe it's the vegetarian diet that is making our hair fall out.
    That has crossed my mind.

Maybe we are evolving into monks in this lifetime.
    God I hope not. My girlfriend would kill me.

And by girlfriend I mean bawang.

Ugh. Gross wenshu, totally gross

And I thought Lucas's post was gross. Way to upset my Friday.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Honestly, a photo of the animal on the platter is just a weak American gesture. In China, the head is left on most of the animals. That's so you know exactly what you're eating. And the head can be good eating. Nothing like duck head. I enjoyed immensely that back when I when I was eating duck.
    Did you eat the beak too? I was fed that in Thailand, your supposed to eat the tongue and the (marrow I guess?) inside the beak, but they tricked me into eating the whole beaks....

I've ate a whole lot of animals with the faces on them, but I'll admit I felt bad when they cooked a turtle alive...that just seemed wrong....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

ya well i saw a lady get ran over by a streetcar today....now THAT was gross!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Sorry to hear that, Lucas. You win for Friday bum outs.

I did not eat the duck beak. I was told not to do so. I was told to use the beak as a handle, like a corn dog stick. I have been eating duck tongue. I even wrote about that in Shaolin Trips: Episode 4 - A Hero Watching the Formation ~ Chapter Six: Xingqisan (Wednesday): Tournament, Fish Head Hot Pot and Duck Tongues with the Little Dragon's Dad and the Purgatory of Gold Mountain. I didn't realize it was a Thai delicacy too.

Funny you should mention turtles as that was one of my breaking points that made me become veg. I was at Shaolin village with a veg Kung Fu brother and some other friends. The others really wanted the turtle because you could eat the shell and they thought that was cool. They picked out the turtle from a window tank, but we didn't see it cooked. It was served pretty much like it was in life, standing on top of some vegetables or something, only the shell could be lifted off. They all took cursory bites but hardly ate the thing. Then they tried to charge my veg Kung Fu brother an equal portion of the bill (it almost all went to the turtle as that was super expensive).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ugh. Gross wenshu, totally gross

Serves you right for calling me earnest.

Well, I'm being polite...

...I imagine we will cross paths again next month at the 1st US Shaolin Festival. Looking forward to it. We'll take another pic. Maybe we should don hats.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Serves you right for calling me earnest.
    At least I didn't call you a Bodhisattva.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

...I imagine we will cross paths again next month at the 1st US Shaolin Festival. Looking forward to it. We'll take another pic. Maybe we should don hats.
    And some big ass weapons.

At least I didn't call you a Bodhisattva.

dude...

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    And some big ass weapons.
    We *ARE* the big ass weapons.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Veggie-Heavy, Low Stress Regimen Shown to Modify Cell Aging

Comprehensive lifestyle changes, including more fruit and vegetables as well as meditation and yoga, were shown to reverse signs of aging at the cellular level for the first time in a study published today.
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ify-cell-aging

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

"High intake of fruits and vegetables is linked to a reduced risk of depression."

According to a recently published study, crap food and processed meats in particular are linked to depression. Fresh veggies and fruit to its opposite. These results are actually a spin-off from a long-term study on cardiac health.

This links in to the other recent study I posted above in an interesting way, since feeling relaxed and happy can slow physical aging processes.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/junk-foo...les-can-lessen

Interesting that science is finally catching up with what traditional Shaolin has known for hundreds of years. Fresh veggies are good for your Qi.
    Last edited by rett; 09-18-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Is there something children know that we don't?

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...he-middle#play

Interesting audio cast about a family with a 7 year old that insists he will not eat meat because he knows that those animals are killed for it. He goes to the extreme and even demands the rest of his family doesn't eat meat. This causes some struggle and tension in the family as they decide how to handle two sons with radically different habits in their interest in eating animals.

If society was conditioned not to eat meat, the way this is narrated would be topsy turvy. It wouldn't be suggested as a phase, but a commendable moral foundation that the child himself discovered.

If I consciously knew how meat was brought to the fridge/table as a kid, I would like to believe I'd have done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    If I consciously knew how meat was brought to the fridge/table as a kid, I would like to believe I'd have done the same.
    In traditional cultures animals were/are prepared for eating at the home. Dad, Mom, or the kid, goes out and kills the chicken, duck, goat, whatever..brings it back and the family plucks, skins, guts, chops it or what have you. The children not only see this, but are part of it. This is how it has been for most of the history of man.

In fact, I would suggest that up until relatively recently; and mostly in industrialized cultures, children have always been exposed to the process, but we don't typically see large scale boycotts of meat. If anything, not being exposed to the process; while being exposed to outside influences with a negative view on meat eating, would have a much greater likelihood of turning children off to meat; in my opinion.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!