Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Wing Chun clinch fighting?

We drill with equally extended arms so we can train facing to strike with each arm , regardless of what direction you move and as we angle moving to attack sideways, forwards or angle offside the leading line of force.
    In sparring we use cycling strikes so the rear cant be stopped from making a new attack. each centered arm/elbow can reach with force of moving structure.
    guys clinch to control ,cover hands, vt would shove to make space to hit .
    Ive had many fights with guys who start by grabbing my wrists so they dont get hit...i dont do that as a response to being attacked.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 07-19-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Light on wing chun:0

Knifefighter trolling again:4-5
    Truer words have never been typed.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    No I didn't say that. I said that it is a part of the training. I said that Robert Chu's stuff was pretty strictly clinch fighting. That's absolutely true. They call it attached fighting.
    OK, fair enough. My mistake.

Here is what you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    My lineage doesn't even do chi sao. I was doing "MT" clinching before I had even heard of MT.
    Which lineage of WC does not do chi sao?

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    HumbleWCGuy stated that WC was clinch fighting. He suggested that someone come here and ask the WC experts.

Is Wing Chun clinch figthing?

Define what you mean by clinch

Define what you mean by clinch
    Fair question.

To the OP, I would say no ...

Robert Chu and Alan Orr include Chin na as part of their curriculum, but IMO it is debatable whether this is Wing Chun or a separate discipline.

Since there is a significant crossover with other clinch fighting disciplines like Greco-Roman wrestling, I would say that it is separate from the core of WC.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

If by clinch you mean the action two boxers do when one grabs another then Wing Chun is not clinch fighting. That action is the antithesis of fighting if one is a pugilist. One is either tired or hanging on for dear life so as not to get punched. If one is a grappler it is a precursor to a throw or something.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    If by clinch you mean the action two boxers do when one grabs another then Wing Chun is not clinch fighting. That action is the antithesis of fighting if one is a pugilist. One is either tired or hanging on for dear life so as not to get punched. If one is a grappler it is a precursor to a throw or something.
    Thats a little bit simplistic in regards to why a clinch may form.
    Plenty of boxers, and particularly MT guys, like to fight from this range... hooks and uppercuts in boxing, elbows and kness in MT

A few reasons they may chose to fight at this distance are;
    - Shorter (lack range)
    - They are counter strikers and prefer to respond from that range
    - They are slower and find it easier to deal with their opponents speed by "closing them down"
    - They are tired (as you said)

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

A few reasons they may chose to fight at this distance are;
    - Shorter (lack range)
    - They are counter strikers and prefer to respond from that range
    - They are slower and find it easier to deal with their opponents speed by "closing them down"
    - They are tired (as you said)
    Perhaps you don't understand what a clinch is. Here is the accepted definition of clinch: If a "clinch" – a defensive move in which a boxer wraps his or her opponents arms and holds on to create a pause – is broken by the referee, each fighter must take a full step back before punching again (alternatively, the referee may direct the fighters to "punch out" of the clinch). That comes from the Wikipedia site about boxing. Sounds to me like you are confusing clinch with very short range fighting.
    Last edited by trubblman; 07-19-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Perhaps you don't understand what a clinch is. Here is the accepted definition of clinch: If a "clinch" – a defensive move in which a boxer wraps his or her opponents arms and holds on to create a pause – is broken by the referee, each fighter must take a full step back before punching again (alternatively, the referee may direct the fighters to "punch out" of the clinch). Sounds to me like you are confusing clinch with very short range fighting.

I was doing clinch training on Saturday (MT) so i may have some idea.

Boxers, MTers and a lot of MMA guys work of the clinch exactly as i said.
    Have a look on Youtube and youll find a million clips showing you that.

In regards to the referee in a boxing match calling for a break, depends on the individual, some will allow more clinching and inside work and some wont.

Having said that, i thought this thread was about clinch fighting in regards to WC, not boxing in a ring

Perhaps you don't understand what a clinch is. Here is the accepted definition of clinch: If a "clinch" – a defensive move in which a boxer wraps his or her opponents arms and holds on to create a pause – is broken by the referee, each fighter must take a full step back before punching again (alternatively, the referee may direct the fighters to "punch out" of the clinch). That comes from the Wikipedia site about boxing. Sounds to me like you are confusing clinch with very short range fighting.
    Seems like you don't understand the nature of a clinch, especially someone who uses the clinch aggressively.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJppfgTIKrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJXWaOxszg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyhsDZna6AE

Muay Thai clinch, underhooks/overhooks from the first minute, a lot of knees, a lot of body punches.

VERY aggressive and offensive clinching.
    Last edited by Violent Designs; 07-19-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    clinch in boxing is different from the clinch in grappling arts and MT. Clinch in boxing is more of a defensive act than offensive one. Not saying that body shots and aggressive manners cannot be taken though. Most boxers when hit with a flurry will clinch up to entangle arms and stop the incoming shots and get a "short" break in the aggression from the opponent. But like stated before it can be an aggressive act as well.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Perhaps you don't understand what a clinch is.
    Um, perhaps you don't understand what clinch fighting is.

That comes from the Wikipedia site about boxing.
    You probably should look at the Wikipedia site about clinch fighting instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinch_fighting
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I am not sure what is refered to as clinch fighting really. I guess it could be called clinch fighting. I am short, and most men might have a little bit of reach on me, which makes it necessary for me to get in under his punching range. Most boxer types can not fight you close in because they need a bit of room to effect a good punch. In order to do so and not get hooked up uppercut I would sort of clinch by actually grabbing or suppressing his arms and hands while slamming with elbows and knees until I could stomp a foot or shove him back into structure like the corner of a table or something, and then when he was trying to regain his composure I would have a split second to start punching as hard and fast as I could. It doesn't sound good, certainly don't look very good, but fighting is serious business. If one was to see me in a fight I am certain that they would not recognize it as WC, but I can assure you that I really don't know any other method of fighting except jiujitsu, I usually only use that when there is less chance of me getting beat up on.
    I have no idea what lineage of WC to call mine other than by my own name, but it was called Hung Fa by my father. We were told not to let chi sao take over our WC, and now I know what he really meant. Chi Sao is a simple 2 man drill, can be a 3 man drill if you want, but it is only a way to develop the feel for using the hand techniques of WC, and when I see people actually competing in Chi Sao I come to understand why I was told that. I have pretty much learned when someone talks about full contact Wing Chun matches they are really talking about chi sao. I haven't done that in near 40 years.
    Jackie Lee

Blog Entries
    To me, the definition of "clinch" is:

- head lock,
    - over hook,
    - under hook,
    - waist wrap,
    - bear hug,
    - elbow lock,
    - mantis arms,
    - hand behind the neck with fore-arm on the chest.

Do I miss anything"

You probably should look at the Wikipedia site about clinch fighting instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinch_fighting

Actually the link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.global-training-report.com/clinch.htm

Is a really nice little essay on clinch fighting, with MT the main topic