To me, the definition of "clinch" is:

- head lock,
    - over hook,
    - under hook,
    - waist wrap,
    - bear hug,
    - elbow lock,
    - mantis arms,
    - hand behind the neck with fore-arm on the chest.

Do I miss anything"
    2 on 1, unless that's what you mean by "elbow lock"
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    No. And yes.
    agreed, it depends on the situation. However, IMHO, WC tends to avoid the clinch. In other words, "Less grabbing/clinching and more hitting". it's not to say that you can't hit from the clinch, but I don't think I have to spell it all out for everyone
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    2 on 1, unless that's what you mean by "elbow lock"
    You are right! That's "2 on 1". People may ask why do you want to use 2 hands to against 1? What do you do with your opponent's other free hand? There is a very important principle used here and that is to use one of your opponent's arm to jam his other arm. When your right hand grabs on your opponent's left wrist, and your left hand grabs on your opponent's right wrist, you use your right hand to guide his left arm to be "under" his right arm, and let his right arm to jam his left arm. You then free your right hand to apply "2 on 1". At that moment, your opponent's left arm will have no threaten to you.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-21-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Just to throw my opinion and possible shed some light on this topic:

My sifu once actually showed us something he called a "Ving Tsun Clinch" although he said we dont like to use it often. It seems pretty similar to the muay thai clinch from when I compared it with a friend and the main purposes of the clinch my Sifu taught was to choke/cut of circulation in the neck using the bridge/kiu while pulling our opponent into kicks/knees. Another big part about it was breaking your opponents stance/"rooted-ness" to nullify or at least decrease any punches they may try to throw.

What's also interesting to mention is that my Sigong and his school went to China recently to share/exchange knowledge with Ving Tsun schools from our family as well as those that are from different lineages (Shaolin Ving Tsun, Kulo Village, etc). They took many videos and one specific Shaolin Ving Tsun school used something like "one handed clinches" where something they would biu or punch and if the attack was evaded then the hand would still shoot past the neck, form a hook, and pull the opponent in a way similar to the clinch. That school even had extra forms that trained this skill.

I guess like most things, it depends on the family/lineage. The cool thing is that since it's all Ving Tsun, I'm sure we can all incorporate it into our own methods in one way or another.
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    shouldn't all "fighting" arts have a clinch answer? Shouldn't all arts study all ranges?

my 2 cents...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    shouldn't all "fighting" arts have a clinch answer? Shouldn't all arts study all ranges?

my 2 cents...
    ----------------------------------------
    yes and yes.

joy

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Um, perhaps you don't understand what clinch fighting is.

You probably should look at the Wikipedia site about clinch fighting instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinch_fighting
    I did read it a while back. In the first paragraph is the definition of clinch fighting: Clinch fighting (also referred to as clinch work) is the part of stand-up fighting where the combatants are grappling in a clinch, typically using clinch holds. And again by the very terms of the article, the answer is still the same, namely, VT is not clinch fighting. If anything it is anti-clinch fighting, using tan sau, bong sau, gum sau, huen sau, arm breaks, for example, to prevent the opponent's grabbing you.
    Last edited by trubblman; 07-26-2011 at 09:13 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCK_0...eature=related

VT similarities to break out of thai clinch:

1st is YGKYM hips move in and posture as shown to shut down knees. Its common to block the knee with lan sao's but you open up your head as shown to elbows etc....

2nd is very similar to wu sao into the gap between the thai arms, then use the guys arm and raise elbow to lan sao to 'lever' the arms apart etc...its not strict vt lan but a lever nonetheless .
    the rest
    ...pushing the face , palm / po pai ...to the same wu/lan spread arms to open up striking or what you will.

like he says in the beginning , I dont want to let clinching happen either ..but