Thread: iron balls

CREEPER Guest

iron balls

can you use those iron balls(im not sure thats what their called) you spin in your hand instead of dit do jow for irom hand training???

thanx,
    Creeper

fiercest tiger Guest

iron balls

what ever the name, they help in keeping the joints mobile. it also corrects meridian energy in hands etc. :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

CREEPER Guest
    is that a yes?? and will it help keep the arthritis(correct spelling?) away in the long run?

Creeper

Water Dragon Guest
    You don't EVEN wanna know what I thought this was gonna be about. :D

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

phantom Guest
    I was told that iron has lead in it. So I suspect that it may not be a good idea to use these balls if you have open cuts on your hands, as the lead could get into your blood and cause lead poisoning. Could somebody please tell me if I am right about this?

premier Guest
    Iron is iron. not lead.

You should basically inject it to yourself to get poisoned.

kungfu cowboy Guest
    Nope! Iron is just iron. Its an element. There are composites, like iron/nickle, and there may be iron/lead composites, but I don't know for sure. If you are curious, check out these links:

http://www.webmineral.com/data/Iron.shtml
    http://www.haz-map.com/leadfact.htm

qeySuS Guest
    ehhe water dragon i'm with you :>

Free thinkers are dangerous.

phantom Guest

Thanks a billion guys!

I really appreciate it. Peace.

wisdom mind Guest
    premier is great with words......really!

fabulous reply

BIU JI Guest
    I'm glad this wasn't some exteme conditioning technique phew.undefined

Kung Lek Guest
    I have heard these called "gao ding" balls.

does that sound right to any of you?
    I personally have always refered to them as "chinese balls" (ha ha, I heard that thought!)

they are great for limbering and strengthening the hands and when they have the little bells inside they sooth the senses and the repetitive motion is quite relaxing. They do contribute to greater finger dexterity also with practice.

to the best of my knowledge they are not connected in any way to Iron Palm Training.

peace

Kung Lek

lungyuil Guest
    No you can't use them instead of Dit Da Jow.
    Those balls are more for strengthening the fingers and help with the energy flow in the hands.
    The vibrating rings inside help the energy flow.
    They are just another way of conditioning. They are great and can help calm or destress you. :)

ttt 4 2017!

Read The Iron Balls of Baoding: Feng Shui Kungfu for Carpel Tunnel Syndrome by me in our MAR+APR 2013 issue.

Get your balls here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

What a horrible story

This is so sad.

Health & Environment
    In China, an exercise ball kills a baby and everyone in the block is punished
    Yanyan died after a metal palm-sized ball fell from a multistorey building
    The owner has never been found, but justice – of a sort – has been served: everyone in the building has been ordered to chip in for the compensation
    Maria Siow
    Published: 3:00pm, 12 Sep, 2020

Yanyan. Photo: Internet

A baby was killed by a metal ball that fell from a multistorey apartment block, and despite a door-to-door investigation by the police, the perpetrator has not been found.
    So how can justice be served?
    The answer, in the case of Suining city in China’s southwestern Sichuan province: make every household in the block pay 3,000 yuan (US$439) to the baby’s family.
    The controversial decision, which has stirred public debate, came four years after the incident occurred in November 2016.
    On that fateful day, Madam Li was pushing her 12-month-old daughter “Yanyan” (a pseudonym) – in a pram along a street in Suining when a metal palm-sized ball – the sort used for hand exercises – dropped out of a nearby building, hitting the baby.

The ball that killed Yanyan. Photo: Internet

“There were no cries from the child, who quickly became unconscious,” local media reported.
    Yanyan was rushed to hospital but died that night, a week short of her first birthday.
    In videos making the rounds on the internet, the girl’s mother says she was so devastated she initially lost the will to live. However, thoughts of catching the killer and getting justice for her child kept her going.
    For a month, Yanyan’s parents – identified by their family name Zhou – searched for clues in the vicinity of the apartment block, asking residents for tips.
    When no one came forward as the owner of the ball, the couple sued everyone in the block and settled in to wait as the case passed through the legal system.
    Yanyan’s father was 44 at the time of the incident and her mother was 41. They had married only the year before Yanyan’s death and went on to have another child a year after.
    Late last month, the Chuanshan local district court ruled that all households in the eight-storey block – except the vacant apartments – shared culpability, and ordered them to pay compensation jointly.
    It said that under Article 87 of the Liability Law, the presumption of guilt applied to “disputes over liability for damage from unidentified thrown objects and falling objects”.
    “As long as the owner or the user of the house cannot prove that he is not at fault, he is presumed to be at fault,” the court said.
    “Although only one person could have committed the infringement, the law should protect the weak and balance the interests of all parties. This can achieve the purpose of comforting the victims and serve as a warning to the public,” it added.
    Many Chinese internet users questioned the judgment, saying that while the family deserved justice it was unfair to hold all the households responsible.
    Others questioned why the court had been so hasty in issuing a verdict, considering there were “countless unsolved crimes in China”.
    One user said: “Anyone who admits to throwing the ball might have to pay compensation of up to a million yuan and face a jail sentence. But denying it till the very end means that everyone, including the perpetrator, only has to fork out 3,000 yuan. Who in their right mind would admit guilt?”
    Another said: “The court is simply taking the easy way out. The perpetrator is a murderer and should not be let off so easily.”
    Others criticised the police for failing to find the culprit, some wondering why fingerprinting the ball had not worked and pointing out that the balls usually came in pairs and tended to be used by elderly men.
    In China, it is common to see men of middle age and above juggling a pair of metal balls in their palms. Many believe the balls help relax muscles, calm nerves, boost circulation, improve sleep, and even lower blood pressure.

Some believe balls like these relax muscles, calm nerves, boost circulation, improve sleep, and even lower blood pressure. Photo: Shutterstock

Some internet users said more surveillance cameras were needed, while one said the court should have ordered every household to pay 10 times as much as doing so would “induce everyone living in the building to provide clues and conduct a more thorough investigation leading to the eventual arrest of the culprit”.
    Other concerns were more practical: what if the culprit was eventually found? Would households be refunded the compensation, presumably from the perpetrator?
    Another pointed out that the ball might have been pushed out of the window by a pet dog or cat.
    Some households have vowed to appeal the court’s decision, with a few saying they could prove nobody was home at the time.
    The Beijing News blasted the verdict as “second-rate justice” and said police should continue to seek the real culprit.
    Zhang Xingjin, a lawyer with the Shandong Qilu Law Firm, said that in applying the law, the focus appeared to be on extending sympathy to the victims and protecting public safety.
    “Although it appears unfair, it is probably the most humane approach for now.
    “At the very least, it will force everyone – residents and building managements – to exercise greater caution, and promote the improvement of safety measures and regulations in local neighbourhoods,” Zhang said.
    The law may have been applied and justice served, but it is cold comfort to both those who must fork out for a crime they did not commit and Yanyan’s parents, who are still awaiting closure.
    As Yanyan’s father pointed out: “No matter what, nothing will bring my baby girl back to life.” ■
    From our archive

Maria Siow
    Maria Siow is a long-time China-based correspondent and analyst with keen interest in East Asia. Maria has a masters degree in international relations.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart