Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

UFC can get real boring real fast when it's just rolling and looking for a choke out for 5 minutes. Seriously boring.
    We mock what we don't understand.

I would like to see san shou with the option to G&P on a take down or throw and if a guy can get it going, then break it and let em try again.
    I prefer no time limit. When I work hard to get a guy down and I have great position I like to milk it, make the other person suffer, carry my weight... I fight in venues with 5 minute rounds. Broken up in three rounds. Sucks to end a round in great position.... this is what we got.

There's nothing more beautiful than an uninterrupted fight. There's wonderful drama involved. There is so much subtle battling going on for position in the ground game. If you knew what to look for its just as rewarding as seeing a nice strike. In some ways a great strike requires an element of luck (guard down, run into, etc.) Setting up an escape/reversal is beautiful. It's beautiful to finish.

Some 20 years ago I was trying to make standardized rules for Kung Fu competition. My Sifu told me it would never work. Too many old school CMA (I am talking about the generation of Sifu above me) have ego problems and will not conform to any changes to their style.

We have what is called "Continuous Sparring", it's not perfect and it needs some more guidance but it's all we have now. You fight with what you got, no calling for points. 3-5 judges make a call at the end of the bout for winner.

What can we add on to this to make it better.

We fight on what ever floor is available (Carpet, Wood etc).

All techniques allowed except groin and bloodying the face (Draw blood and your out).

Broom sweeps are allowed.

What else?

ginosifu

UFC can get real boring real fast when it's just rolling and looking for a choke out for 5 minutes. Seriously boring.
    Agreed
    -------

Blog Entries
    I would like to see san shou with the option to G&P on a take down or throw and if a guy can get it going, then break it and let em try again.
    In the begenning, I didn't like the 3 seconds rule. One of my students in Baltimore tournament did a beautiful "leg twist" throw. Since it was done between 3 - 5 second, her throw didn't count. Later on I realize that the 3 seconds rule may be the only way that doesn't turn a San Shou match into a wrestling match.

It's just like the 3 seconds rule in San Shou. If you can't throw your opponent within 3 seconds, your throwing skill is not good enough. If you can't put an arm bar on your opponent with in certain amout of time, your ground skill is not good enough.

In the real life we have to finish the fight ASAP before the cops come. We just don't have all the time in the world. It's better to train for "time efficiency" IMO. If you love a girl, you should marry her. A beautiful girl will not wait 10 years for you. That's just the reality.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-19-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Mostly because we are kung fu and a lot of their rule sets are not geared for kung fu fighting. This is why my school does not go to karate point sparring competitions because the rules are geared for them.... we do not point spar. So we need to create rule sets that are emphasizing CMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I've heard plenty of experienced ground fighters say the same thing. I've also heard plenty of judo teachers say the same thing about watching two experienced judoka go at it. Far more interesting to experience than to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Mostly because we are kung fu and a lot of their rule sets are not geared for kung fu fighting. This is why my school does not go to karate point sparring competitions because the rules are geared for them.... we do not point spar. So we need to create rule sets that are emphasizing CMA.
    It's not karate - it's International Sport Jiu Jitsu and it's pretty open. It's basically everything that's been described in this thread. Light weight gloves, limited padding, full contact, take downs and limited ground fighting.

It's not karate - it's International Sport Jiu Jitsu and it's pretty open. It's basically everything that's been described in this thread. Light weight gloves, limited padding, full contact, take downs and limited ground fighting.
    You're right, but the tournaments are few and far between.

I'm actually kind of ****ed. There was an event at the Battle of Atlanta very recently and I missed it because I wasn't paying attention to BoA's news. sucks.

Blog Entries
    Sometime the rules in not in favor to the style that you train.

If a wrestler comes to a SC tournament, that wrestler will have no chance. The reason is simple. If any 2 points of your body besides your feet touch the ground, you lose that round. Many wrestlers like to shoot in at your legs so low that it's not hard to make their body to touch to the ground before they reach to your leg.

Back in the 70th, I hated the "no face contack" tournament. Sometime your opponent just used his head to meet your punch. If you could't pull your punch back fast enough and if your fist touched your opponent's face, you would be dis-qualified.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-19-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I do understand it Ray. Try to read the context I placed directly beneath that statement instead opf quoting it out of context and then taking a stance as if I was a dummy or something. Because that is goofy. IT"S BORING TO WATCH THAT. NOt necessarily boring to do it as stated.

I prefer no time limit. When I work hard to get a guy down and I have great position I like to milk it, make the other person suffer, carry my weight... I fight in venues with 5 minute rounds. Broken up in three rounds. Sucks to end a round in great position.... this is what we got.
    It's a competition Ray, not some ego exercise place for your pent up aggression. lol "liking to hurt" is an issue. Having to hurt and being able to do so, is more matter of fact and something I personally would find easier to get behind.

There's nothing more beautiful than an uninterrupted fight. There's wonderful drama involved. There is so much subtle battling going on for position in the ground game. If you knew what to look for its just as rewarding as seeing a nice strike. In some ways a great strike requires an element of luck (guard down, run into, etc.) Setting up an escape/reversal is beautiful. It's beautiful to finish.
    It's a sport and to it's players it is a beautiful thing.

Put knives in their hands now. It's still a fight right? yes, you're right, sport fighting is fun and great to watch. still, it's not kung fu although a lot of it's in there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    You're right, but the tournaments are few and far between.

I'm actually kind of ****ed. There was an event at the Battle of Atlanta very recently and I missed it because I wasn't paying attention to BoA's news. sucks.
    I went. To be honest, you didn't miss much.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Gotta say, I actually enjoyed that clip very much.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Combat Sambo has an interesting rule set. Again - why re-invent the wheel when you can find organizations already doing what we're talking about here?

Combat Sambo has an interesting rule set. Again - why re-invent the wheel when you can find organizations already doing what we're talking about here?
    2:12 priceless.