Thread: My Favorite form

My Favorite form

It's boring - it's long - it's tedious and nobody likes doing it... but by far it's one of the most effective forms for transmitting the concepts of 7*. And it's here:

Thanks to Mantis Quarterly and Alex Au for posting this great form.

As soon as you said boring, long, tedious and no one likes doing it, I instantly thought Sap Say Lo! Nice

Nothing boring about any mantis forms.
    as for sap say lo never boring either if you do it right................

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    It's boring - it's long - it's tedious and nobody likes doing it... but by far it's one of the most effective forms for transmitting the concepts of 7*. And it's here:

Thanks to Mantis Quarterly and Alex Au for posting this great form.
    Nice form for drilling. We practiced this every week at my instructor's school. He gave me the same picture that you posted.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

I have only seen two video clips on YouTube that showed one of the roads in each clip.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by frankiemantis View Post
    Is there a video link for this form? Have not seen it
    That's because it's not pretty. It's more of a series of line drills that are linked together. It's one of those forms that beginners love to hate and everyone just grudgingly goes through the process so they can learn the next form...

But - after many years, and people start talking about fighting and kung fu and all that - this form, at least for me, comes to the top as probably the most practical form for teaching applicable mantis combat skills. I'm not going to do a lot of reposting because I've expressed my views on this one to death, but - I believe that if a person is taught this form, and just a few other movement drills, and then one-steps and spars, they'll be able to demonstrate the spirit of 7* in fighting. Everything else is just window dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Nice form for drilling. We practiced this every week at my instructor's school. He gave me the same picture that you posted.
    I just want to clarify that this picture came from Alex Au and was originally posted on Mantis Quarterly. I wish I had access to the original. Basically this is the only reference that I found online that shows the form in it's entirety and I thought it'd be nice to share here since I talk about it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Basically this is the only reference that I found online that shows the form in it's entirety and I thought it'd be nice to share here since I talk about it a lot.
    Not online, but have you seen the book that came out of HK on this set several decades ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Not online, but have you seen the book that came out of HK on this set several decades ago?
    Unfortunately no. Maybe plumpub or ebay would have it.