Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sore muscles...some help please=)?

TigerFork Guest
    Ginger is a great anti inflammatory.
    not sure Echinacea will provide much relief for muscle aches though (unless there was an infectious process or lymphatic disorder involved)

Wild yam can help muscle spasm, jamaican dogwood can help reduce pain.
    perhaps an appropriate ginseng may help eg. siberian ginseng (more energy and endurance, better recovery) don't over use these herbs though .

dunbarj01 Guest
    Hey Tigerfork,

The info I have states the active of echinacea is isobutylamide. Also there is the essential oil of capsicum which acts as an analgesic on the skin.

Cheers

deadlypower Guest
    Have you ever considered suing;;;;;;;; you can get a free consultation with the suing expert on this matter,GOKTIMUS PRIME.

power

Fu-Pow Guest

Biochemstry of it all

I seem to have the same problem when working out, especially if I have a real intense extended workout. Actually, it is strange but I'm actually sorer the 2nd day after I work out.

I've heard a few good suggestions: massage, hot baths, stretching, light workouts, in addition I'd say B vitamins and plenty of water.

The biochemistry of soreness is caused by a build up of lactic acid in the muscle tissue when the muscle cells flip over to anaerobic respiration. When your muscles cells do this is dictated by how cardiovascularly fit you are and how much oxygen you can get to your muscle tissue.
    The only way for this lactic acid to dissapate is for it to make its way back to the liver where it is converted back to sugar by an enzyme called lactate (lactic acid) dehydrogenase.
    Anthing that helps promote this process is helpful ie gets things moving eg water, massage, working out, etc. .
    Also, whatever you do, do not drink alchohol if you are sore or had a really intense work out. In addition to dehydrating you, alcohol is converted to lactic acid by the liver (the enzyme works both ways). The sluggishness associated with a hangover is caused by this lactic acid build up. My own experience has been much sorer muscles after working out and consuming alcohol.

Fu-Pow

Insynergy Guest
    I've found the best all round are warm/hot baths with essential oils (not sure which are best, I generally use lavender, marjoram and/or rosemary). Accompanied by self-massage of the bits in question whilst soaking. Followed by light activity the next morning. I find that passive stretching feels good whilst you are doing it, but I don't find it has much lasting effect on the soreness, as opposed to dynamic stretching or simply a light work out.
    Just started capoeira yesterday. The backs of my thighs, butt, and lower back feel like they are tied in knots :) Can only be a good thing, means they're not strong enough *yet* :

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Oh yeah! I forgot about sleep. I start to get sore more easily the morning after a workout if I don't get enough sleep.