Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaolin Kung fu: living and breathing?

FWIW, Hendrik and I have the same dai si gung!!

Mind you, Shi Gao Can did get around. Literally thousands of students.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Now you have to be nice to Hendrik. Otherwise the big man in the sky will roll around in his er mixed metaphor.

Mind you, Shi Gao Can did get around. Literally thousands of students.

Great to know !

This is the temple Ven Sek Ko Sam lives and teach in indonesia or my home town Siantar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa_nEKNcLCM
    The temple is now manage by my siheng a Buddhist monk.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Now you have to be nice to Hendrik. Otherwise the big man in the sky will roll around in his er mixed metaphor.
    I've disagreed with Hendrik before, and probably will again.
    We have different ways of going about learning our Kung Fu.

Shi Gao Can was connected to my sigung's class mate and brother as his Sil Lum Hood Gar teacher.

Like I said, he had literally thousands of students. Shaolin Kung Fu in indonesia, singapore and throughoutt hat region was a prize not to be overlooked. Many flocked to study with him.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've disagreed with Hendrik before, and probably will again.
    We have different ways of going about learning our Kung Fu.

Shi Gao Can was connected to my sigung's class mate and brother as his Sil Lum Hood Gar teacher.

Like I said, he had literally thousands of students. Shaolin Kung Fu in indonesia, singapore and throughoutt hat region was a prize not to be overlooked. Many flocked to study with him.

Shi Gao Can is one of the major influence in South east asia Shao Lin.

At the time Shi Gao Can was teaching in Siantar indonesia, there was Fujian White Crane group in Binjai Indonesia. The students of both party use to get into challenging fighting. and Shi Gao Can used to punish his students to ask those who fights to knee infront of the buddha status for hours.

When I was a kid I heard all of these stories. There was where I learn about these arts, since I know both parties' practioners. The White Crane information later help me to track down Wing Chun. and Shao lin information included the buddhist teaching help me to decode the Siu Lin Tao's anceint writting. Well, call it a Karma.

later I was refer by my monk siheng from Shi Gao Can's lineage to study Chan under late Ven Hsuan Hua when I want a first hand Chan practice understanding.

http://www.advite.com/sf/life/life4.html

I have no style now, since I am everything, from Shao Lin to Wing Chun to Xing Yi to Taiji to Kyokushin .... so I am ok with anyone disagree with me.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-21-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Great to hear about Shi Gao Can here! I use to hang out at the temple he taught at in Singapore, Shuang Lin Si, all the time (I lived only a few hundred yards away).

Unfortunately there's no more martial arts at the temple, but many of his successors are still in the area.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

David,

Do you have photo or clip on your sigung and your art ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Great to hear about Shi Gao Can here! I use to hang out at the temple he taught at in Singapore, Shuang Lin Si, all the time (I lived only a few hundred yards away).

Unfortunately there's no more martial arts at the temple, but many of his successors are still in the area.

Yup. the Shuang Lin Si.

The also no longer martial art in the indonesia temple.

Both my Buddhist monk sihengs, two of them, do not practice martial art. They are famous Buddhist monks in Indonesia now.

another student of Ven Shi Gao Can is GM Png of Shao lin Penang.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nHCqwFuWdc
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-21-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    another student of Ven Shi Gao Can is GM Png of Shao lin Penang.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nHCqwFuWdc
    Yup - I believe that's where he went (Penang) after leaving Singapore.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    Yup - I believe that's where he went (Penang) after leaving Singapore.
    In my understanding, he was travel and leaving in different places in South East Asia.

Indonesia

Hi,

I made this website:

www.sekkohsam.tk

In the future I would like to visit Indonesia and especially the area where Sek Koh Sam stayed.

Anyone care to assist me in where to go exactly? All help appreciated!