Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourite Non-WC Martial Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Phil- I know that you also trained kick boxing with Zab Judah's father. I saw the HBO presentation last night of the Amir KHan and Zab Judah match. Zab Judah is a south paw and has a powerful left as well as a good right jab and hook--but he really couldn't get inside . The reach difference was huge.
    He finally was counted out with a below the belt blow by Khan- which should not have counted.
    The Klitschko(sp?) brothers were also kick boxers at one time.

joy chaudhuri
    Yes, I did train with Yoel Judah. I also trained with "Little" John Davis, and Ralph Mitchell of Southern Praying Mantis for some of my fights. I'll be looking to see Zab's fights. There were many black Israelites that trained martial arts in Brooklyn. Of course Yoel was one of them. I also had the pleasure of training with two senior Eagle Claw students of Leung Shum http://www.yingjowpai.com/ http://www.kungfutoday.com/masterscr..._leungshum.php
    who were from the black Israelite camp. I was doing Wing Chun at the time with Duncan Leung. Johnny Lee was my classmate. http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/photos.asp 1st column, 4th row in the white shirt. I was also friends with his brother Benson Lee who I encouraged to fight since in the 70s Kung Fu people were not respected in the full contact arena.Sifu Ralph Mitchell was also an inspiration for me. First of all at the time he was one of only two black men allowed into NYC's Hung Mun (Chinese Freemasons). As far as I know I was the 3rd. I watched Sifu Mitchell in a full contact event where they used headgear with plastic face guards. He was getting cheated on points because he was a gung fu guy.So to prove that he was hitting his opponent he cracked his opponent's face guard. He was the talk of the NYC gung fu scene after that.
    Sifu Joy, you brought back many memories. Some of which are too unbelievable to post as I know you have some as well. Please excuse typos/syntax/grammar. I'm really tired now but had to respond.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 08-06-2011 at 02:32 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Thanks for your post Phil. That looks like Dennis Brown a kung fu old timer- second to the left from you- looking at the picture. Could be wrong?

Joy Chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Thanks for your post Phil. That looks like Dennis Brown a kung fu old timer- second to the left from you- looking at the picture. Could be wrong?

Joy Chaudhuri
    Yes, that is Dennis Brown. Southern Mantis Ralph Mitchell is also there. He helped me train for my first full contact fight.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Chuck Norris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fedor & Pacquio (spelled it wrong I know)