Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sheriff In Town...

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    this is martial arts. you dont get an a for effort.
    you competed. david ross students comepted and won
    That was over 6 years ago in my first amateur MMA match. No one wins them all. Especially as a newbie against someone with prior MMA fights.

Again, this is not about me then or now. This is about holding statements and a general Kung FU practice to task.

if you train muay thai, and your kru told you to do that gay pre fight dance, to that ear piercing noise that sounds like ducks being killed, you would have no problem.

but in kung fu? no. white people get to demand what they dont like, what they dont wanna do. american students treat their sifu like waiters at the panda express.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I still have the medals I won in forms competition in my time in TKD and Karate, along with the ones in fighting.
    Forms may not have helped me to be a better fighter per say, but doing them never hurt.
    They develop balance, fluidity of movement, control and, well, FORM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    panda express
    Time for some Orange Chicken!!!!!!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    It still is. this isn't going to go back the the idea of Shaw Brother movies is it?

Why does that seem to shock you? If you don't practice forms, you will never understand them. Those that do, know there is a huge difference. sorry you can't see that man.

is it possible for any of the FORM HATERS to comprehend that? i'm still waiting for that day to come.

I don't hate form. I just see focus on form, you get Wushu. True2Form.

Focus on fighting: you get training with boxing gloves and head gear and live throws and ground fighting..... feedback, reaction time, adaptability, confidence in technique.

If my focus was on martial arts, which it is, doing these forms is like spending time learning a gymnastic routine.... sure, I will gain flexibility, and movement, etc., etc. But I would put money on a built gymnast over any of those True2Formers.

In the end, the question remains: where are the fighters with all these form benefits?

stop with the red herrings. form doesnt improve fighting ability. but form is the core of chinese martial arts. its the chinese way of doing things. its over 1000 years old. it fukin saved kung fu from extinction during several bans over the centuries.

form is one of the few cultural relics from the common people that survived the cultural revolution, and you just wanna throw it away like garbage. no. kiss my ass.
    Last edited by bawang; 09-19-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    I don't hate form. I just see focus on form, you get Wushu. True2Form
    Take a broader look bro. styles like CLF are producing fighters. one of China's best right now studied CLF.

Focus on fighting: you get training with boxing gloves and head gear and live throws and ground fighting..... feedback, reaction time, adaptability, confidence in technique.
    Very True. We do the same thing. When we train our techniques that are practiced in the forms, we put on gloves, mouth guards, head gear all the stuff you mentioned and go for it. When we're not focusing on fighting, we focus on forms, drills, stance work and so on. I won't EVER throw away all i've learned just to focus strictly on fighting. Not everyone wants to be a fighter but they DO want to learn a martial art for their own reasons.

True2form embarrasses me, and you will never ever ever ever......evaevaevaeva.....find my students doing TRUE2FORM.

Blog Entries
    You say where are the Kung Fu people that fight? well, here are a couple of KUNG FU people....not to mention Choy Lee Fut people.......who are in the ring fighting and NOT doing True2Form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhBKdOAwy4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRWAGW0A0Qc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqBFDX_L080

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VzNS7BnZCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Ef9hgkZVQ

Now, i didn't post these videos to have a discussion of their skills or blah blah blah. it's just proof that CHOY LEE FUT is not one of those styles that are just TRUE2FORM.......

and guess what......THEY PRACTICE FORMS TOO!!!!!!!
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-19-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if you train muay thai, and your kru told you to do that gay pre fight dance, to that ear piercing noise that sounds like ducks being killed, you would have no problem.
    There are a lot of american fighters that refuse to learn the ram muay (the pre-fight dance).
    Sometimes I wonder about the type of students asian martial arts attract.
    Could you imagine walking into a boxing gym and refusing to do jump rope or shadow boxing?

If forms are all you do, or are the majority of the time you spend training, then maybe there's an issue. But as a part of a much larger syllabus, I have no problem with them.

Running through the ram muay and a taiji form makes a heck of a warm up.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of american fighters that refuse to learn the ram muay (the pre-fight dance).
    Sometimes I wonder about the type of students asian martial arts attract.
    Could you imagine walking into a boxing gym and refusing to do jump rope or shadow boxing?
    This is part of the reason why Asian teachers didn't want the Gwai Lo to learn their stuff. Americans can't ever appreciate something like this. they have to insert "MY AMERICAN OPINION" into it ALL the time.

If forms are all you do, or are the majority of the time you spend training, then maybe there's an issue. But as a part of a much larger syllabus, I have no problem with them.
    If you are not trying to be a FIGHTER what is wrong with doing forms? personally, i'll never find forms outdated. For me, the forms are to be unlocked and personal discovery is what matters.

When my students were getting into fights almost every weekend i put forms training on the back burner and strictly focused on combat. when times are quiet we go back to forms. i will never see an issue with that.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-19-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    form is strcitly for cultural values. but a lot of forms are also a type of war dance to show manliness and aggresion.
    What Cultural values are you talking about?

stop redirecting your anger to forms and blame your teacher who milked you

when white people stop eating turkey and apple pie during thanks giving, i will stop doing forms.
    Last edited by bawang; 09-19-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    american students who got scammed redirect their anger to forms and chinese culture instead of their teachers, because they spent such a long time with them and feel attached.
    thats sucks. but some american students are really gullible. its usually the hippy types too. they seem to believe the mystic side of gung fu a little more

when white people stop eating turkey and apple pie during thanks giving, i will stop doing forms.
    i don't have turkey at my TG. its HAM baby and i can't stand apple pie. LEMON PIE....!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    its usually the hippy types too. they seem to believe the mystic side of gung fu a little more
    they are not really peope. they are just walking pieces of meat that makes noise. its ok to lie to them and teach fake kung fu.

Blog Entries
    they are not really peope. they are just walking pieces of meat that makes noise. its ok to lie to them and teach fake kung fu.
    All you need to do is tell em "you are too new to understand. it takes a lifetime to be able to grasp the essence of the universe".........................they will follow you till the ends of the Earth.