Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sheriff In Town...

New Sheriff In Town...

No, just kidding. But really, I just came across this youtube clip, and it looks like this guy has a school in Chicago. Not my thing, but not too bad. Looks like he has good physical fitness, and a positive message for his students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY0u0F5LPyQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/FreddiesModernKungFu
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    No, just kidding. But really, I just came across this youtube clip, and it looks like this guy has a school in Chicago. Not my thing, but not too bad. Looks like he has good physical fitness, and a positive message for his students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY0u0F5LPyQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/FreddiesModernKungFu
    I try not to be too blown away by those sorts of things. It is impressive. However, different body types express fitness differently. Some bench press a ton. Some do body weight stuff like no body's business, and some have incredible endurance. Other still, can acheive any.

I think that there is a perception in martial arts that what that guy was doing is the highest level of fitness in martial arts. It's simply a way to be fit, but not necessarily the way.

Yeah, it looks like the guy's more a fitness trainer than martial arts master. Like he uses his impressive upper body strength, lectures on philosophy and a dynamic personality to sell himself more than mastery of martial arts. But then again on his web page, he seems to say indirectly state as much, so no big surprise. That's why he calls it Modern Kung Fu rather than Fred's Wing Chun or Fred's Choi Li Fut. Seems like a nice guy, and I hope he makes enough money to train with some real masters and master a legitimate style so we can have another quality teacher of a legitimate martial art in Chicago. There are so few compared to Cali or New York. Oh well....
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

I think the guy was Shaolin Dynasty's class mate under Sifu Ng.

To quote Kenny Powers, "I play real sports. I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    To quote Kenny Powers, "I play real sports. I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
    wait, sports is also a recreation and ergo not really what it represents, which originally is warrior skills or simulated war itself, ergo not real in the truest sense of the word....so, is Kenny Powers a little slow or something?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

wait, sports is also a recreation and ergo not really what it represents, which originally is warrior skills or simulated war itself, ergo not real in the truest sense of the word....so, is Kenny Powers a little slow or something?
    "A lot of people ask me, 'Kenny Powers, you're a giant superstar. You can get any woman. Have you ever paid for sex?' And the answer is yes, I have. Several times, in fact. And it's actually kinda cool. You can negotiate practically anything and sometimes, even just kind of do stuff in the moment that you never agreed to pay for and it goes by without much argument."

"Undaunted, I knew the game was mine to win. Just like in life, all of my successes depend on me. I'm the man who has the ball, I'm the man who can throw it faster than ****. So that is why I am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my ****, everyone. "
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    "A lot of people ask me, 'Kenny Powers, you're a giant superstar. You can get any woman. Have you ever paid for sex?' And the answer is yes, I have. Several times, in fact. And it's actually kinda cool. You can negotiate practically anything and sometimes, even just kind of do stuff in the moment that you never agreed to pay for and it goes by without much argument."

"Undaunted, I knew the game was mine to win. Just like in life, all of my successes depend on me. I'm the man who has the ball, I'm the man who can throw it faster than ****. So that is why I am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my ****, everyone. "
    touché

lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    I think the guy was Shaolin Dynasty's class mate under Sifu Ng.
    no I'm sure its Monkey style or sifu ng is a Monkey LOL

Low level practitioners need not apply LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Yeah, it looks like the guy's more a fitness trainer than martial arts master. Like he uses his impressive upper body strength, lectures on philosophy and a dynamic personality to sell himself more than mastery of martial arts. But then again on his web page, he seems to say indirectly state as much, so no big surprise. That's why he calls it Modern Kung Fu rather than Fred's Wing Chun or Fred's Choi Li Fut. Seems like a nice guy, and I hope he makes enough money to train with some real masters and master a legitimate style so we can have another quality teacher of a legitimate martial art in Chicago. There are so few compared to Cali or New York. Oh well....
    The guy looks like he could actually fight, and you want to turn him into a forms collector instead?
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

The condition seems spot on.

The martial side of things, a couple things jumped out at me: He either strikes stiff, long drawn out power. Or fast with flurries. Hard to tell against a dummy.

However, he breaks posture a couple times in the mitt drill, leaning back to get around a mitt hand..... very bad habit, especially against no resistance.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawyer View Post
    The guy looks like he could actually fight, and you want to turn him into a forms collector instead?
    Well, even for his Jeet Kune Do to at least bring it more in line with Dan Inosanto's understanding of it and methods of training it.

Blog Entries
    I still find it pretty funny how people on this forum hates forms practice.
    they probably couldn't do a form if their life depended on it. LOL
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better