Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how would you defend against this?

how would you defend against this?

Hugging sucker punch.

Also, is that the Fonz?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Blog Entries
    Haha, Funny!! Basic self defense man...or common sense ie.

Either, he (you hit 1st) or you shouldn't have PUFFED up, stuck your chest out and let the guy so close.

If a guy can't FEEL the bad vibes or body english comin' his way...then he lacks street smarts.

"O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

I would hug him back. This would jamb his punching arm, and have me on the inside to controll his head.

Violently inflating the dantien during this would also seriously F up this guys attack.

Then you can run right through him.

This only worked because the guys hands were down.

Larry Merchant has an opinion about this.

hit him immediately when the conflict starts

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I thought the dude doing the punching was pretty fast.

I never understood the "puffing up" thing. It puts you in a bad position as far as fighting goes; chest stuck out, arms either at your side or extended outwards in a "T" position. I mean I understand what guys are trying to do when they do it, but it doesn't seem like the best position to be in if something is about to go down.

Actually, I think what the "puffing out" position is doing is subcommunicating that you are so high status that you don't even need to worry about being in a fighting position. You're so high status the the other person needs to back down.

Jockeying for status and position is often a game of subtleties anyway. A person who makes a big grandiose display in response is usually violating social norms and will likely lose status in the process.

I have seen people ****ed at each other and literally bumping chests, arms out at their sides, trying to puff up and look big and saying "you wanna go?" or "come at me, bro!" trying to get the other guy to start. Usually nothing happens, and they both eventually back down while calling each other "pvssy", etc. I don't think either guy wanted to actually fight. It's just to try and appear more dominant. If either person really wanted to fight, they would be striking, not trying to entice the other one into striking first.

It's a game of subtleties. If you puff out your chest and say "you wanna hit me bro?" or whatever, if the other guy doesn't hit you, then you win. The other guy backs down, and you are established as the alpha. You called his bluff that he didn't actually want to fight. This is usually followed up with comments like "yeah, I didn't think so, b.itch!" as the other guy backs down.

If the guy actually does hit you in response, then technically "he started it" which may give you the advantage in the legal realm. I don't think a court of law cares if you were "coerced" or whatever into fighting. Kind of like how kids get bullied for years, and then one day stand up for themselves and break the bully's nose, and then get in trouble for fighting, as if the reasons don't matter. Obviously that's a little different than some dudes at a bar, but still.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that if someone actually did "wanna go," they would just hit you rather than asking you or trying to get you to start it, especially considering that often in real life, the person who starts it ends up winning.

I much prefer the defensive "hey, I don't want a problem" posture with your arms up, elbows bent, and palms outward. Not only is it body language defensive, but you're in a good position to strike/block.
    Last edited by IronFist; 09-19-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Read The Fence by Geoff Thompson.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

the puffing out thing is almost like an animal habit.How they try to make themselves appear bigger and intimidating to their enemies by standing a certain way.

must be a throw back to our monkey ancestors

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    the puffing out thing is almost like an animal habit.How they try to make themselves appear bigger and intimidating to their enemies by standing a certain way.

must be a throw back to our monkey ancestors
    Back then we would be beating our chests too, which is how we kept our hands up.

There is no defense against this attack. When someone gets within your personal space, you can not react quick enough. There is something called the "Action / Reaction distance line", once someone crosses this line into your personal space he can do what ever he wants and you will not be able to do nothing to stop him. Basically he can "Act" quicker then you can "React".

To prevent this you must not let someone into your personal space. If you do and they hit you.... well then that's your own fault for letting him get that close.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    There is no defense against this attack. When someone gets within your personal space, you can not react quick enough. There is something called the "Action / Reaction distance line", once someone crosses this line into your personal space he can do what ever he wants and you will not be able to do nothing to stop him. Basically he can "Act" quicker then you can "React".

To prevent this you must not let someone into your personal space. If you do and they hit you.... well then that's your own fault for letting him get that close.

ginosifu
    Gino is quite correct.
    The only thing one can "learn" to do is to take a shot.
    Learn how to react when you get hit, make it instinctive:
    Go with the strike, bring your hands up to cover and defend.
    Through consistent sparring one learns how to "read" what comes from "below" or "outside" the radar - which is where sucker punches come from typically.
    One "learns" how to absorbe and "take the shot".
    Also not getting that close to anyone with hostile intent with hands down and making oneself an even bigger target, would most certainly help
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Seemed like an elbow to me? either way, he's done this before...!
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

get cha hands up!!! for god's sake he's facing you, how is that a sucker punch? That's actually poor decision making on the part of green shirt.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i would relax my tendons, compress my spine and ribcage and power up my tanden. bridge, tickle the testicles, then BAM willow leaf palm to the throat.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post

ginosifu
    I disagree totally. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood, where we all talk with our hands. In confrontations, you keep your hand motions between chest, and shoulder level. This gives YOU the controll of the space (it's why we do it, especially when we start becoming agitated).

If he tries to close the gap for the hug and the hook, all you do is shove his shoulder or bicep at the slightest flinch, as you say some sort of sterio typical Dago tough guy talk. Then blast him with a right cross wile he's trying to figure out why you didn't get hit.