Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: New Sheriff In Town...

Just an FYI:
    My first amateure boxing was VS a guy that had 12 fights already.
    I won.
    My first semi-pro boxing match was VS a guy with 5 fights.
    I won.
    I also lost when I had fights under my belt against a guy that was having his first fight.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Just an FYI:
    My first amateure boxing was VS a guy that had 12 fights already.
    I won.
    My first semi-pro boxing match was VS a guy with 5 fights.
    I won.
    I also lost when I had fights under my belt against a guy that was having his first fight.
    I would never let my guys take a first fight against someone like that. Most respectable coaches wouldn't. First fight should be against someone with AT MOST two fights. AT MOST. That's my opinion.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I would never let my guys take a first fight against someone like that. Most respectable coaches wouldn't. First fight should be against someone with AT MOST two fights. AT MOST. That's my opinion.
    Eh, beggars can't be choosers ay times.
    Rather fight a guy with 20 fights that sucks than I guy with 3 fights that's a natural

I know what you mean though.
    If I had been told I probably would have been more nervous ( if that was possible).

Hey, in my first Kyokushin competition as a BB I drew a 3rd dan that was 30lbs heavier and close to 6ft, luck of the draw.

The amateur MMA scene today is at a completely different level than it was 10-15 years ago.

I know guys personally who racked up "MMA" wins 8 to 10 years ago fighting cops in the ring, tough guys at bars..... that's completely different than college-level kids/athletes devoting themselves to MMA as their sport of choice. Training scientifically and religiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    The amateur MMA scene today is at a completely different level than it was 10-15 years ago.

I know guys personally who racked up "MMA" wins 8 to 10 years ago fighting cops in the ring, tough guys at bars..... that's completely different than college-level kids/athletes devoting themselves to MMA as their sport of choice. Training scientifically and religiously.
    Yes and no. In bigger shows, the fighters are recruited from gyms, so everyone trains.

In smaller shows, they have open calls and it's luck of the draw. You can get a Div II wrestler or a guy who never trained a day in his life. That's why it's important to have a good relationship with the matchmakers..
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

I'm not even arguing that I lost or that it wasn't fair. I'm saying the guy wasn't a six month newbie as implied.

I'm not ashamed of losing. Everybody loses fights sometime. The only time I feel shame is when I lose and afterwards I think I could have fought harder.... those fights suck.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 09-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.

I think Ross showed those dates were after your fight.
    http://www.MixedMartialArts.com/f/E0.../John-Salgado/

Just to make it clear. Scroll down. Ross's man fought 2/18/06, 6/10/06 and then me on 9/02/06.

If I remember correctly, your main contention from that fight (The St. Cloud fight, right?) was how big the guy was, right? He probably cut 20 to 25 pounds to make weight and rehydrated over night. Everyone does it.

St. Cloud outmatched me, period. That guy was good and tough and won the whole tournament..... and yes, he did cut like 20lbs.

I learned a lot from those first very fights. It took like 4 or 5 fights just to get the routine down, get comfortable. Know what to expect.

Honestly, if your teacher had gone with you in those early fights, he might have intervened.

I have pulled fighters at the weigh-ins if I see a bad match up. Sometimes the matchmakers will work with you, sometimes not.

For instance, in Oklahoma, the boxing commission allows a 10-lb weight difference in amateur fights.

We agreed to a 155 fight for a student's first fight.

He cut from 160 to 155.

His opponent cut from 185 to 165.

Technically, they were allowed to fight. But I pulled my guy because the size advantage was just too much. So, the matchmaker gave us another guy he had in reserve, who was much closer in size.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    http://www.MixedMartialArts.com/f/E0.../John-Salgado/

Just to make it clear. Scroll down. Ross's man fought 2/18/06, 6/10/06 and then me on 9/02/06.
    OK. I don't have a dog in that fight. But it seemed like you two were getting your wires crossed over which fight was when.

Ray, take this as you will:
    Fighters don't make excuses for losing.
    Period.

If there was one fight that I felt legit robbed it was my last one in NJ before I moved. I lost a 3 round decision to Eric Koller, who unfortunately died in a motorbike accident a couple months later. Class act. His coaches were cool and offered to corner for me in future events and to visit in Pa to train.

But the point..... he had 3 coaches in his corner and a few other teammates fighting. The entire fight you can hear his girlfriend screaming "Come on Eric. Come on Eric." His team mates and their family to.

Silence on my end because there was no one there.

I give Eric credit because he didn't have much boxing experience and I fed him some good shots. He did take me down over and over but could not submit. Could not strike and they'd stand us up.

By round three he was bloody. It ended, well you can see the last round for yourself on my video. Him in turtle, me on top striking and trying to work a choke I didn't know how to apply at the time

I'm sure if I had more bodied, that decision would have went my way.... and thus I learned the lesson everyone learns: don't leave it to the judges.

I lost one more decision after that in PR and haven't since. Either I get submitted or I get a TKO stoppage. But it's all part of the game. Part of the learning experience. That's why I so appreciate being in a "gym" as apposed to a kwoon. I have team mates. I have coaches. It's a different vibe.

Sure, now I'm training "for sport." It's true. But I've never been better technically, physically or mentally. I know my lowly place in the sport but I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ray, take this as you will:
    Fighters don't make excuses for losing.
    Period.
    Not making any excuses. As I said, I totally credit guys who I admit outclassed me.

Also pointing out that there's many factors that go into a fight. And when you're new and not involved with the promoter, league leader, etc. .... there's a downside.

Fists are the great equalizer. And on the days I lost, they weren't enough. Again, I don't have shame about that. It was part of the learning curve.

I lost many football games too. Lost a state championship my junior year. Losing is part of competition. .... there's a reason for a loss. The job then is to find it and correct it.

My problems then were lack of conditioning, BJJ and an understanding of the process. Not uncommon for a newbie.

I aint a newbie now though.

Dude in the grand scheme of things, unless one becomes a champion, it don't mean squat and is nothing but ancient history and anecdotal stuf***e.
    Truly.
    If you have made peace with the fact that you are no better or worse than anyone else that has every stepped into a ring (and it doesn't sound like you have), then you'd realize how little all this means.