Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sheriff In Town...

and its usually those people with the ambition/delusion to actually want to become a sifu.

those chinatown teachers didnt take them seriously and didnt realize in america that could really happen.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    and its usually those people with the ambition/delusion to actually want to become a sifu.

those chinatown teachers didnt take them seriously and didnt realize in america that could really happen.
    Luckily my chinatown didn't have too many fakes.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

yes. your chinatown is the special chinatown where the cantonese dont rip off gwailos, and triads dont sell drugs and open kids day care.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    american students treat their sifu like waiters at the panda express.
    Panda Express has waiters?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Panda Express has waiters?
    exactly my fren, exactly.

Blog Entries
    yes. your chinatown is the special chinatown where the cantonese dont rip off gwailos, and triads dont sell drugs and open kids day care.
    You mad bro?

"Real Kung Fu" is almost extinct. Probably in its last generation right now with the last of the remaining old timers (65 and older). After cultural revolution, all their is is form. no substance.... that was by design.

I respect my teachers. I also respect my new and only student. It's a two way street.

Unlike most people, this student isn't paying. But if I sign up for a$$ kicking lessons and pay every month and all there is is form and no one is fighting or doing any real sparring I skaddadle.

I don't knock them. I love lion dance. I used to do it.
    I don't knock form. I love a couple forms. I used to do it.
    I don't knock weapons form or drum and cymbal playing... I used to do it.
    I don't knock alters, incense, Chinese writing, big fans with dragons, cranes, tigers.... wooden men, back rooms with iron palm bags. Pitch forks, three-section staffs. Long poles.

But when you tell me people like this are fit to talk about the martial benefits of form... or real fighting for that matter. Sorry, I call bull$hit!!!!! You people don't fight! I had to go knocking on doors to try to get you people to fight. Ultimately I had to literally go outside TCMA to fight.

Say what you will of my video from when I was in New York. At the very least it shows a 30-something-year old capable of handling himself in and out of the ring. That's what martial arts should do.

I am 37 now and done fighting (except if Ross will compare in NY over Thansgiving) but I have seen a lot. I have trained with some very well respected people. My focus now is on firearms and training my new student.... in 1.5 years I expect him to be able to handle himself at amateur boxing, kick boxing and MMA levels. I expect him to roll like a good blue belt....This is what I expect of myself as a coach.

How can there be so many sifus with so many students and so few fighters?

Blog Entries
    Ultimately I had to literally go outside TCMA to fight.
    Glad that you're finally happy. good luck with your student. But if i see him practicing forms i'm talking big ****!!!!!!!! LOL

I don't knock alters, incense, Chinese writing, big fans with dragons, cranes, tigers.... wooden men, back rooms with iron palm bags. Pitch forks, three-section staffs. Long poles.
    None of the above ever claim to do these things to train for a fight.

But I do have a question for you. Forgive me first, it seems like you're looking for Shaw Brother movie action in regards to gung fu. But, what i want to ask you is, if upper cut, jab, straight, Over hand, spinning back fists, back fists are the primary techniques i'd be using to train in a fight (these exact techniques are found in my forms), how are YOU ...i mean YOU expecting me as a Choy Lee Fut guy to look while using these techniques? I am curious about that.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-19-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    , what i want to ask you is, if upper cut, jab, straight, Over hand, spinning back fists, back fists are the primary techniques i'd be using to train in a fight (these exact techniques are found in my forms), how are YOU ...i mean YOU expecting me as a Choy Lee Fut guy to look while using these techniques? I am curious about that.
    Jab, upper cut, hook, etc.... a moderately retarded person can MASTER those movements in six months

CAN YOU HIT???? How do you open the door while keeping your door closed. That's the training! And you won't learn it from form.

You'll look the way that YOU look while using your technique and their principles. You'll express your personality in given situations.... the reason everyone looks relatively the same is that their's only so many reasonable options for a given situation. The younger, more athletic you are, the more options.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    You'll look the way that YOU look while using your technique and their principles. You'll express your personality in given situations.... the reason everyone looks relatively the same is that their's only so many reasonable options for a given situation. The younger, more athletic you are, the more options.
    I feel you. but i didn't have to learn martial arts to understand that tho.

CAN YOU HIT???? How do you open the door while keeping your door closed. That's the training! And you won't learn it from form.
    I agree, a form doesn't teach you whats behind a strike. your sifu should be able to tell you that early on. We practice our strikes from our forms on focus mitts and what not and yes everyone at first doesn't hit as hard as they thought till they hit something. I'm no square to this idea bro.

but, to counter what you said about form doesn't teach you how to open or close doors and such, i have to beg to disagree. yes, we focus on what doors are open, how to close them, how to open others, etc etc. Alot of how i learned to deal with something i did learn from form then working at applying it.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-19-2011 at 01:25 PM.

I'm not talking about hitting hard. Most people can hit hard enough. And this certainly is not aimed at you.

Pad work is great. But saying you can learn how to open someone's door while keeping your door closed and striking from form is like saying you practice target shooting without the firearm and bullets. Maybe in theory.... but without the kick of the rifle, without environmental factors, it's just theory.

Without having to keep pace/footwork with someone, work out their timing and tempo, deal with real striking...it's just theory.

That's what the Kung Fu community really offers: Theory.... do this and you get iron palm. Do this you get internal. Do this form and you understand hand work. Do this form you understand sword play. Where's the practical return?

TCMAers today are not fit to compare with boxers, Kendo, Judo, BJJ. Hands, feet, throws, ground, swords..... substandard.

It's 100% because of the way they train. Same body parts. Probably a wider range of age groups. So what is it?... my theory is its the emphasis on form.

Blog Entries
    Pad work is great. But saying you can learn how to open someone's door while keeping your door closed and striking from form is like saying you practice target shooting without the firearm and bullets. Maybe in theory.... but without the kick of the rifle, without environmental factors, it's just theory.
    right on bro, but i completely trust the hands of Choy Lee Fut for a stand up art man.

Without having to keep pace/footwork with someone, work out their timing and tempo, deal with real striking...it's just theory.
    As a TCMA'er.......I'm with you on that.

That's what the Kung Fu community really offers: Theory.... do this and you get iron palm. Do this you get internal. Do this form and you understand hand work. Do this form you understand sword play. Where's the practical return?
    I agree to some extent. some schools may not completely under the combative side of the art.

TCMAers today are not fit to compare with boxers, Kendo, Judo, BJJ. Hands, feet, throws, ground, swords..... substandard.
    to some extent i agree with you. but, you can't lump everyone in that pile.

It's 100% because of the way they train. Same body parts. Probably a wider range of age groups. So what is it?... my theory is its the emphasis on form.
    Exactly. very true. But there are some out there who have recognized that and are working towards correcting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    "Real Kung Fu" is almost extinct. Probably in its last generation right now with the last of the remaining old timers (65 and older). After cultural revolution, all their is is form. no substance.... that was by design.

I respect my teachers. I also respect my new and only student. It's a two way street.

Unlike most people, this student isn't paying. But if I sign up for a$$ kicking lessons and pay every month and all there is is form and no one is fighting or doing any real sparring I skaddadle.

But when you tell me people like this are fit to talk about the martial benefits of form... or real fighting for that matter. Sorry, I call bull$hit!!!!! You people don't fight! I had to go knocking on doors to try to get you people to fight. Ultimately I had to literally go outside TCMA to fight.

Say what you will of my video from when I was in New York. At the very least it shows a 30-something-year old capable of handling himself in and out of the ring. That's what martial arts should do.

I am 37 now and done fighting (except if Ross will compare in NY over Thansgiving) but I have seen a lot. I have trained with some very well respected people. My focus now is on firearms and training my new student.... in 1.5 years I expect him to be able to handle himself at amateur boxing, kick boxing and MMA levels. I expect him to roll like a good blue belt....This is what I expect of myself as a coach.

How can there be so many sifus with so many students and so few fighters?
    Shut the f.uck up. Your ego and your mouth is massive but your fighting record is straight up embarrassing (can you not see that???) so you are definitely not qualified to speak on the state of kung fu or even talk with authority on combat sports. You know next to nothing about Chinese martial arts and every time you come on here spouting your sh.it you make yourself look an even bigger idiot with your complete ignorance. I can't read your sh.it anymore without taking offence. If you're the saviour of Chinese martial arts then shut your big mouth and go and do something about it instead of coming on here with your deluded, egomaniacal moaning.

Thanks in advance.

BT
    Last edited by B.Tunks; 09-19-2011 at 06:56 PM.