Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do spinning techniques work best as follow up and cointerattacks/

Do spinning techniques work best as follow up and cointerattacks/

I tend to think so. For example, if you miss with a roundhouse kick, if your opponent then moves in on you, a spinning back kick will have a good chance of catching him off guard. I have seen some videos on you tube where a spinning technique lands after the person's opponent launched an attack first. One was a tae kwon do guy landing a 360 degree kick on a guy after he threw a punch at him in on olympic competiton. Otherwise, I tend to think they are too risky, even though once in awhile somebody will win a fight by immediately throwing a spinning kick. What are your thoughts about this? Thanks in advance.

Generally I avoid spinning techniques because they involve turning your back on your opponent (bad).

However twice in sparring matches I've screwed up, given somebody my back and salvaged with a turning back-fist.

In both cases it was more of an "oh shit" move than a planned technique.

In both cases it connected with my opponent's jaw and put him firmly on his ass.

In one of the cases (while in China) I had about 50 LBS on the guy I was sparring with - he was the 2nd biggest guy in the class with me the biggest - and it threw him dramatically through the air.

So, yeah, if you connect with them spinning techniques can bring a lot of power to your shot.

But I'd recommend only using them if you don't have another, safer, choice.

Because if you aren't born with a horseshoe planted up your posterior you're going to get elbowed in the back of the head.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Timing is key, but rolling out and back in can work.
    I don't think it works enough to use it as a base thing.
    But it does work, many guys have used it to success.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Timing and awareness is KEY. you can see Bas connecting a spinning backfist square on Frank Shamrocks grill. look at Shamrocks face afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyPLO...eature=related
    Last edited by Snipsky; 07-21-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipsky View Post
    Timing and awareness is KEY. you can see Bas connecting a spinning backfist square on Frank Shamrocks grill. look at Shamrocks face afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyPLO...eature=related
    I would not want to get back-handed by Bas Ruten.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Generally I avoid spinning techniques because they involve turning your back on your opponent (bad)..
    Without turning your body and touch your back to your opponent's chest (body contact), there won't be any throwing art.

The risk for spinning is if your opponent spins with you then you will be in trouble. One way (there are many ways) to solve that problem is to pretend that you are going to spin in one direction. When your opponent spins with you, you reverse your direction. Another way is to destroy your opponent's body structure when you spin. It's all relative and not absolute.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-21-2011 at 05:27 PM.

I would not want to get back-handed by Bas Ruten.
    Neither would I LOL

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The risk for spinning is if your opponent spins with you then you will be in trouble.
    The other risk is if your opponent closes rapidly on you.

If they anticipate the spin and move straight in they can take your back for grappling, elbow or shoulder check if they are a striker, kick you in the back of the leg or punch you in the back of the head.

Those things are all on the "do not let this happen to you" list.

Which is why I'd say use the spinning blow when you've over-extended, not to close a gap.

(For instance, in the Bas vs. Shamrock clip we saw earlier note Bas sort of messed up his roundhouse and was rotating past Shamrock off the kick anyway. I'd posit that if the kick HAD made a more solid connection he wouldn't have gone for the backhand.)
    Simon McNeil

(For instance, in the Bas vs. Shamrock clip we saw earlier note Bas sort of messed up his roundhouse and was rotating past Shamrock off the kick anyway. I'd posit that if the kick HAD made a more solid connection he wouldn't have gone for the backhand.)
    True. He did miss the kick but had a quick mind in realizing that there was indeed a chance to use the spinning backfist there. the key was he moved away while he did it instead of moving forward.

Spinning can get you in trouble, but like Bas showed, have a good comeback after a mistake and you may land something nice. like the smack heard around the world.

This is the only thing that I have seen on youtube that is worth anything. All of these methods work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA5e8d2JPBg

When someone tries to evade your attack and angle. That's one of your best opportunities to throw a dragon tail (sweep or high kick). They will step deeper into you if you have good skills for cutting off the ring or fighting area.

I have had great success with the dragon tail sweep just off of a jab, jab, cross, hook, or jab-hook (same hand).

You can also land the spinning back kick at close range. If I recall, there was a guy, "Bad" Brad Hefton, in the old P.K.A kickboxing who would get into an exchange and then step across his opponent and land a right back kick. Elbows can work the same way especially if you can vary the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Timing is key, but rolling out and back in can work.
    I don't think it works enough to use it as a base thing.
    But it does work, many guys have used it to success.
    Could you explain that a little bit more? I don't quite understand.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    This is the only thing that I have seen on youtube that is worth anything. All of these methods work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA5e8d2JPBg

When someone tries to evade your attack and angle. That's one of your best opportunities to throw a dragon tail (sweep or high kick). They will step deeper into you if you have good skills for cutting off the ring or fighting area.

I have had great success with the dragon tail sweep just off of a jab, jab, cross, hook, or jab-hook (same hand).

You can also land the spinning back kick at close range. If I recall, there was a guy, "Bad" Brad Hefton, in the old P.K.A kickboxing who would get into an exchange and then step across his opponent and land a right back kick. Elbows can work the same way especially if you can vary the angles.
    The above clip showed all "Spinning Counters". This in my opinion is probably the best way to "Spin". To just lead off with a spinning tech is too slow.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    The above clip showed all "Spinning Counters". This in my opinion is probably the best way to "Spin". To just lead off with a spinning tech is too slow.

ginosifu
    The back kick when someone backs off or angles/circles isn't really a counter. I don't think that I would apply the term counter to them even if I were using it liberally. If you are fighting it's no different than changing an attack from jab, cross, hook to jab, upper cut because you see a weakness that you can exploit in the way your combination is being defended.

Example. I throw a jab, cross and notice that my opponent is stepping to my left. Next time around, I throw a jab, spinning kick. It that sense you could say, "I am countering my opponents movement." But, I would not want to suggest that I am "counter attacking," or "counter spinning." In those cases, I am attacking.

You can call it what you want, but I don't think that you terming those to be "counter spinning" would be standard.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.

It was interesting in the last video because he connected with the back fist and the kick. Short legs and long arms to pull that off? If I tried that I would be to jammed up with the kick.